-

Photo
- - - - -

Help me buy a 35' Subwoofer Cable

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Lanny_B

Lanny_B

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 09:25 AM

I'm looking for good quality, but don't want to spend too much. I've been buying Monster because the dudes at the store keep peddling it to me.

I also need to get a spool of about 100' to do the rest of my speakers, and don't know where to look.

Thanks.

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   CurtisSC

CurtisSC

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 09:34 AM

for the sub cable, have a look at bluejeanscable.com

good stuff at reasonable prices.
curtis
Manhattan Beach, California

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   Lanny_B

Lanny_B

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 09:45 AM

What should I expect to pay for a cable like the one I"m looking for? Most of it will be in wall, some may go under the carpet.

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   Rick Ewing

Rick Ewing

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 10:22 AM

Buy a 100' foot spool of RG-6 coax cable wire that you'd usually use for cable TV. It works just as fine for subwoofer cables, and is suitable for in-wall applications. If you get pre-made cables that already have screw F-type connectors, you can get F-type to RCA adapters either at your local Radio Shack or from Parts Express.

http://www.partsexpr....number=090-369

Otherwise, buy a crimping tool and terminate the ends with RCA connectors yourself. Make sure to buy ones think enough to handle RG-6 cables.

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor

• 524 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 10:42 AM

Rick has the best idea. But if you want something really cheap just go to Radio Shack and buy the appropriate ends. Either screw type or solder type. Then take 35' of any old speaker wire and connect them. I did this when I was moving my sub around to find a location I wanted. This is not a great permanent solution, nor would I put it in a wall. I don't think it is dangerous, the just isn't that much current going through that wire, but I still wouldn't do it. It is great cheap alternative to buying 35' of cable to find out that your favorite position only requires 10' of cable.

10 dollars for the whole thing. 4 if you have some leftover wire.

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   Lanny_B

Lanny_B

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 10:43 AM

100' of sub wire? I think I'll only need about 35' of it for my sub.

I need 100' regular cable wire for the rest of my surround speakers.

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   Lanny_B

Lanny_B

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 11:09 AM

Well, for temporary, I have some old coax wire that left over from my cable TV. So all I need to do is go to Radio Shack and stick a couple RCA plugs on the ends?

I'm also a little confused about one thing. My subwoofer has two inputs on it, so the current cable has 2 plugs on the end of it. Am I supposed to split the coax cable into two ends somehow, or can I just pick one of the inputs to plug it into?

But all this is for temporary, right? Not for pre-wiring the walls with? Once I find the right length, what should I buy to run in the walls?

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,148 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted March 16 2004 - 12:10 PM

Quote:
Once I find the right length, what should I buy to run in the walls?
I used RG-6 quad shield from Home Depot. I crimped F-connectors to it and use wall plates with F to RCA adapters. Works great for subs. I'll soon be using more of the same coax for component and composite video and analog audio.

Quote:
I need 100' regular cable wire for the rest of my surround speakers.
I used 12 guage speaker wire from home depot.

-Robert

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   Rick Ewing

Rick Ewing

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 12:29 PM

First, old speaker wire probably won't adhere to the 75 ohm rating needed for a good subwoofer connection. It'll work, but it won't work well. And putting it into a wall is a really bad idea (fire codes, dealing with insurance companies if your house burns down, etc). RG-6 coax cable is 75 ohm wire and will work well and is building code friendly.

Most subwoofers out there have a left and right input, despite the fact that your receiver or amp only has a mono output. This is just fine. If you have a video splitter cable (also found at Radio Shack or Part Express), you can just add the splitter to the end to get both inputs. But it's really not necessary. You can just plug the single wire you have into one or the other input. Splitting the two into both ends will buy you a little extra gain (maybe +3 dbs), but it's certainly not required. There's nothing stopping you from doing the same effect by turning up the gain knob on your sub or boosting the gain on your receiver for the sub channel.

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   ScottCarr

ScottCarr

Second Unit

• 459 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 12:46 PM

I am with rick's idea. it works it is cheap and doesn't take too much time ot make.

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   Arthur Vino

Arthur Vino

Stunt Coordinator

• 208 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 12:56 PM

Rhino and blue jeans are better cables for subs...

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor

• 576 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 01:47 AM

Rick Ewing says:
Quote:
First, old speaker wire probably won't adhere to the 75 ohm rating needed for a good subwoofer connection

At audio frequencies the impedance of the connecting cables is a moot point, it does not matter. What matters is shielding and the integrity/construction of the cable and connectors.

Cable impedance becomes critical at video and R.F. Frequencies.
Best regards.

John
Freelance Video Control Engineer

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   Marvin E

Marvin E

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 02:38 AM

I use cable from AVCABLE.COM. The salesman told me that their regular PPC Precision Low Capacitance Audio Patch Cable is fine for subwoofers. The thickness of the cable has nothing to with the quality of bass...a subwoofer preamplified signal coming from a pre/pro or A/V receiver is just like any other channel...any cable marketed as subwoofer cable is nothing more than cable voodoo, IMHO.

Quote:
What matters is shielding and the integrity/construction of the cable and connectors.

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   Keith Hyde

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 05:08 AM

Go to your local high end HT / Stereo shop and have them make you one - equally as good at half the price and you get exactly what you need.

Some have good luck at Radio Shack but the place makes me shivver. I have no trust in them.
There you stood on the edge of your feather, expecting to fly...

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   Lanny_B

Lanny_B

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted April 09 2004 - 07:34 PM

UPDATE:
I still haven't gotten one, because, honestly, I'm still pretty confused.
1. I don't really have tools to crimp ends and such so, unless it's really easy and there's a place online to get the tools, I'd rather buy one pre-made.
2. I don't want to pay a huge sum of money. I'd like to stay under $50.
3. I don't know how to look up what kind of cable I'm looking for.

Here's some things I've found. Are they even the right kind of cable?:

75 Ohm Coaxial Digital Audio Cable (RCA-RCA) ?
75' for $45.74, but this is probably the wrong kind of cable.

AR PRO II RCA SUBWOOFER CABLE 25' ?
$50 cable and only 25'. Maybe long enough, but not enough to move around the room to test locations.

Quote:
Go to your local high end HT / Stereo shop and have them make you one
I don't know of one in my area.

And finally, here's my room layout. I'd like to try the sub in the back corners also if possible, which is why the varying legths of cable. Plus I may get a second one an put it on the other side.
Posted Image

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   Ralph B

Ralph B

Supporting Actor

• 583 posts

Posted April 10 2004 - 12:39 AM

RG6 does work good.

if you bought an SVS sub you could have bought a bettercable cable really cheap through them. Posted Image

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   ScottCHI

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted April 10 2004 - 06:13 AM

http://www.amazon.co....335047-6844612

http://www.partsexpr....number=090-282

the second link also sells spools of speaker wire
"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   Lanny_B

Lanny_B

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted April 10 2004 - 06:15 AM

Ok, So, in summary, I should buy:
1. A roll of RG6 cable
2. A crimping tool
3. Some kind of ends to terminate the cable

I'm having trouble locating these online. And I don't know how difficult it is to terminate the ends. I'd like to buy all this online from parts express or something, so here's my best guesses:

1. RG-59/U w/18 GA. 2 COND SIAMESE CABLE 100' SPOOL
2. Crimping tool?
3. RCA Plugs - 8.3mm or 6.3mm?

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   ScottCHI

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted April 10 2004 - 06:23 AM

http://www.target.co......_=1081125505

get that. pull the 3 strands apart. connect 'em with 2 of those couplers in my post, above. voila! 36 feet of quality subwoofer cable. that it's video cable is a good thing, actually, so don't worry about that.
"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   Chester II

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted April 10 2004 - 11:56 AM

Lanny dude,

Wow, that 4 inch drain for the water heater is sweet overkill. I'm impressed.

Dude,

Chester

Back to Speakers, Subwoofers & Headphones

Forum Nav Content I Follow