What's new

KLH Sub Fuse keeps blowing (1 Viewer)

Paul>Wh

Agent
Hey everyone, I am a poor college student and so a couple of years ago I purchased a 9200 series KLH 5.1 speaker set. They work well enough for the price ( which was a major factor ), but my sub keeps going out. It can be while nothing is on it goes out ( no stand-by ) or it can be in the middle of a song or movie. All that I have to do is usually turn it off unplug and replug the fuse in the back and it turns it back on. However, this is getting to be to annoying than to deal with. I have used a different reciever, and even pluged the power cord into the reciever as to turn off the sub when the system is turned off. I have also tried buying new fuses to see if that would help. I am not against buying a slightly bigger fuse, but wanted to do that with only some expert opinion. Is there any other thing I can do to get this resolved? Thanks for the help everyone,
Paul

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Sounds like the amp in the sub is taking a dump. Exact same thing happened to me before my KLH sub died on me. They're pretty much disposable.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
no expert here, but i definitely would NOT do that.

they're choosing a specific fuse for a reason. if you go above that, you risk electricity hitting your main circuits and frying the whole thing.

so, as a starving college student, what's more of a hassle.

1. changing an inexpensive fuse once in a while
2. frying your sub and having to pay for a whole new setup

as a college student, i'm assuming the choice is obvious? :)

anwyay, to diagnose the problem, what happens if you just leave the sub on all the time. it seems like you may be "spiking" the sub when you keep turning it off and on (from the receiver's power) -- so try that.

also, do you have this thing hooked up to a surge strip?

Paul>Wh

Agent
I thought it wasn't the best of ideas to do that either, but it just gets so frustrating. I have left it on and it will go out for no reason. This is how I originally had it plugged into my monster surge protector strip. This has been doing this basically since day one. It's like over time it over heats and just decides it needs a break. The fuses never break where they need replacing, I just have to take it out of the sub, wait a few seconds, plug it back in then turn the sub back on. Just becomes a pain when emersed in a film or whatever and the bass cuts out. I am not a big fan of the Brechian concept of enjoying art. Sp???
Thanks for the inputs I appreciate it, any further ideas? Would the Y cable have anything to do with it?
Thanks,
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks