-

Photo
- - - - -

All I want blew my Mirage BPS-400 sub.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Chris PC

Chris PC

Producer

• 3,994 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 04:53 AM

I replaced the fuse with a new one, turned on the subwoofer, no power light indicator and it hummed and popped another fuse. I replaced the fuse with another new one and I disconnected the RCA cable and turned the volume and crossover down to their minimum setting. Turned on the subwoofer again. Hummed again and no power light indicator. Turned it off.

This sucks. I can't afford this. The subwoofer is 3 years old and out of warranty. Huge and awkward to move. Thankfully the repair centre is not far, but I'll be lucky to get the thing into my car again. If this costs too much to repair I'll be pretty cranky. I bought this because it had a clipping protection circuit. I admit the DVD seemed to be mastered with higher than normal volume levels, but this shouldn't have happened.

Who knows, my sub might have been ready to blow any second, but it was an odd experience and that DVD is loud. Most DVD's I have to set at -8 to -6 dB but this thing required -15 dB to not be too loud! And my subwoofers volume was at 12 o'clock and the Marantz receivers subwoofer level was 0 or below 0 dB as it always is. I don't play my subwoofer loud.
Going from projector to flatscreen for a while.... :P

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   Tim Ranger

Tim Ranger

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 05:29 AM

What a bummer! If you calibrated your system, 0 db would be reference level which is pretty darn loud, at least to me.

It sounds like it may be blown driver. If the driver is shorted it could be causing the amp to keep blowing fuses. Might save you money to do some troubleshooting yourself. Pull the woofer, and see if it moves freely or if the voice coil is rubbing. If the driver is bad, you might be able to just order a new one and swap without paying shop fees etc. Good luck!

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Chris PC

Chris PC

Producer

• 3,994 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 06:10 AM

Good idea. Some careful work on my part may reduce my problems. Mainly bringing the thing in for service. Trouble is I'd like to have the whole thing checked out in general. This should NOT have happened. I bought this product because it was advertised as being robust and able to handle loud music and sound affects. My subwoofer isn't setup loud and it blew. Having to pay for this after owning it for 3 years would be rather lame. I was thinking of asking them if they'd at least give me a free estimate of the cost to repair it.

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor

• 697 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 06:33 AM

Didnt I just read this somewhere else?
"I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV..."

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   Chris PC

Chris PC

Producer

• 3,994 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 07:08 AM

Yeah, well, I'm a little bummed out. I'm both asking for advice and warning people about the DVD at the same time.

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Tim Ranger

Tim Ranger

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 07:24 AM

The other thing you might want to do is check with the manufacturer. What is the warranty period? If it was three years and you're just past it, they may be willing to help you out. It might be worth it to them just to do something "extra" and have a happy customer instead of an irate customer. Good luck!

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   Michael R Price

Michael R Price

Screenwriter

• 1,591 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 08:04 AM

Chris, there is a good chance the amplifier is damaged. If the driver were blown, it would not make a humming sound (unless you mean the humming is from the amplifier alone). The most likely culprits are simply blown components in the amplifier which are relatively cheap and easy to replace, namely the power capacitors and output transistors. Maybe you could take it out and have a look?

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   Chris PC

Chris PC

Producer

• 3,994 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 08:53 AM

I just realized that the warranty period was one year. I removed the drivers, phew, after removing 16 screws per. Trouble is, I did a super no-no, I forgot to pay attention to the + and - speaker driver leads. I always assume that there are marks to indicate, but there never are. I guessed according to the + sign on there but it looks like the + sign is for the green ground lead (which is soldered on and I did not remove). Even with both drivers + and - disconnected, turning it on yeilds the same hum, from the amp I guess, where-else :|, so yeah, its something in the amplifier!

The drivers appear to be perfectly fine. They move back and forth without any problems. Apart from my possibly screwing up the polarity of the speakers (I at least made sure I put both leads on each speaker the same way for each), I imagine it is something in the amplifier that is blown. Rather disappointing that this could happen. I didn't bother to open up the amplifier.

I'll check with the manufacturer about it tomorrow. Luckily, the manufacturer is literally less than 20 KM's from me, but getting that thing in and out of a vehicle will take some help from a friend for sure. Its crazy heavy, huge and awkward. I have the box lol...anyways....Hopefully when I tell them I carefully inspected the drivers, they won't bark at me and hopefully they'll inspect the polarity for me. I guess I'm at their mercy. Hope they help me out.

Any advice for getting this fixed for little or no cost? I can't believe a product of this quality and cost would poop-can like this so easily.

Thanx for the information.

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   Chris PC

Chris PC

Producer

• 3,994 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 11:35 AM

I'm taking it in.

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   Chris PC

Chris PC

Producer

• 3,994 posts

Posted March 24 2004 - 03:31 PM

I brought the BPS400 to Audio products Intrenational in Scarborough on Monday. They "took care of me" I guess. I picked up the repaired subwoofer today, so two day turn around, pretty good. Mirage gave me 25% off the total cost of the repair. It was 3 mosfet output transistors that were blown. 1 hours worth of labor. Total cost after taxes was $69.00 CDN. Thats reasonable I guess, after having the sub for three years. I'm going to test it out and see how it is. I'm also going to modify my setup. I'm lowering the subwoofers volume control (and of course when I calibrate the subwoofer channel, I'll adjust the receiver sub output accordingly) and I won't be shutting off power to the sub until the power light is red. May also look into some kind of line conditioner. Well, I'll hook up the subwoofer and properly calibrate my system and report back Posted Image

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   ChrisAG

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted March 25 2004 - 03:12 PM

What was your chiropractor bill, Chris? Posted Image

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Michael R Price

Michael R Price

Screenwriter

• 1,591 posts

Posted March 26 2004 - 12:36 AM

I'm glad to hear it! How'd you get such a low labor rate?

For comparison, good quality power Mosfets cost about US $1.50 each. Posted Image

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   Stephen Bort

Stephen Bort

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted March 26 2004 - 02:56 AM

Anyone know why they discontinued the BPS-400? It was quite a flagship sub and always did well in reviews. I'd been wanting one to complement my Mirage OM-7s, but now that it's no longer available (and SVS has certainly convinced me to check them out) I think I'll just forget about it.

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Chris PC

Chris PC

Producer

• 3,994 posts

Posted March 26 2004 - 03:26 AM

I can find one reason why its discontinued. Size and weight. This thing is crazy huge and awkward. I was somehow able to get it boxed up myself, and I used a huge tree dolly to roll it around the house, but I needed my friend to get it in the car. Mirage put it in my car when I picked it up after being repaired. Once home, I simply slid the box onto the dolly. Worked ok. Once inside the house I just slide the box on the carpet. Back is intact, but thanx for asking Posted Image

As I mentioned above, I've set up my subwoofer so it won't be abussed from turning it off, lowering the volume control on the subwoofer itself and only cutting power to the subwoofer when the light is red prevents any "whomp" spikes. Also must wait until the receiver is OFF via remote before cutting power to it too, when the sub is on. This works fine. I will have to spend some time calibrating. I calibrated my speakers and things seem ok, although the subwoofer output sounds low. I'll fiddle and experiment.

Well, now I'm back to square one. After not having my subwoofer in the system, I've done some listening to my system without the subwoofer, and particularly, in the SR 6200's Source Direct Mode. Trying to use the subwoofer with my front speakers with the receiver with Source Direct OFF results in poor bass with or without the subwoofer. This is using my CD player which is connected via the analog RCA's. For comparison, I'm going to check the bass quality playing the CD's in my DVD player using the Marantz DAC's [Yay! I get to experience the digital audio dropouts again. So nice Posted Image ] Just to see if its the extra conversion that caused the problem. If it still sucks in comparison to Source Direct, I'm going to probably take the receiver back and/or sell it before my warranty is up.

My only other options are using a high level crossover or a cross over between my receiver and external amps. The final problem is that if the bass and overall sound quality are poor with Source Direct OFF, then that leaves me with the above as my only final option, with the added point that my fronts and surrounds must be all set to LARGE. I should have returned this receiver and gotten an older NAD T760.

Oh well. At least my subwoofer is intact. BTW the 3 MOSFET output transistors were $20.00 CDN for all three. Labor was only $40.00 an hour for one hour. I think it WAS going to cost $80.00 plus tax but they gave me 25% off, so $60.00 plus tax was $69.00.

:P

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   Chris PC

Chris PC

Producer

• 3,994 posts

Posted March 27 2004 - 03:55 AM

Tried the fronts large and subwoofer crossed at 50 hz. Works but ultimately I don't think this subwoofer is blending well with the receiver and speakers. The PSB 6T's have 3 woofers each and the Mirage has a 12 inch on either side. The PSB's are ported and the Mirage is sealed. I wonder if sending the bass to the fronts AND to the mirage via the front and left pre-outs is not all coinciding very well.

I have a feeling that music is simply going to sound best without the subwoofer. The subwoofer adds slam but I feel its taking away from the clean musical sound of the front speakers. I'll keep tweaking and testing.

Getting tired of testing. I tested Source Direct and non-source direct with my main front speakers. The level is much higher in source direct so I have to compensate by adjusting the volume. I guess the sound quality overall isn't night and day but the bass seems quite poor unless in source direct.

I also tried stuffing my PSB Image 6T ports with socks. Interesting results but again kinda inconclusive. Most I could tell was the obvious, there may have been slightly more of the absolute lowest bottom end with the ports plugged, but with the ports open as the speakers were designed, perhaps less of the absolute lowest extension but more bass above that.

Anyways.....I guess this thread has run its course but if anyone has any suggestions, lemme know.

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Nicholas R

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator

• 189 posts

Posted June 06 2004 - 02:35 AM

Stephen it was discontinued because of a lawsuit brought by Bob Carver that Mirage ended up winning.

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   PaulT

PaulT

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts

Posted June 06 2004 - 02:46 AM

http://www.audioholi...eSubwoofer.html
"One of the problems of taking things apart and seeing how they work--supposing you're trying to find out how a cat works--you take that cat apart to see how it works, what you've got in your hands is a non-working cat." -- Douglas Adams

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Nicholas R

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator

• 189 posts

Posted June 06 2004 - 02:47 AM

Thanks Paul.Apparently next to music Bob's favourite hobby is bringing frivolous lawsuits.

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   PaulT

PaulT

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts

Posted June 06 2004 - 05:10 AM

He invented the small subwoofer as well as the amp in a coffee can don't you know.

I wonder if he got Folger's permission to use their can in his ads?? Posted Image
"One of the problems of taking things apart and seeing how they work--supposing you're trying to find out how a cat works--you take that cat apart to see how it works, what you've got in your hands is a non-working cat." -- Douglas Adams

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Nicholas R

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator

• 189 posts

Posted June 06 2004 - 05:21 AM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image