What's new

Eno Remasters will be SACDs! (1 Viewer)

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

Let's see...in May we have:
1) Marx Bros. DVD set
2) Eno SACD import set

That should set me back at least $100. Guess it's back to the cheap gin for me!

Doug

GarySI

Stunt Coordinator
You have no idea how long i have waited for this. I thought it would never happen. I still turn people on to Eno using his early solo records. Pity that most people know of him only as U2's producer. They don't have a clue of his own work or the work with DEVO, Talking Heads, 801, John Cale(Eno plays on his new solo)or Fripp.
I'll start saving now.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Specifically, "Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy" is excellent.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Any idea what the titles might be? I recall "Ambient 1: Music For Airports" as being announced way-back-when. That's probably my favorite of his pure ambient works, but I'm really hoping the first wave includes "Warm Jets" and "Another Green World"! Oh, the textures in DSD could be just marvelous...

Jesse Lawson

Agent
Glorious!

Eno's four vocal albums remain among my all-time favorites. Don't have an SACD player, but I'm sure the redbook versions will be an improvement on the older CDs. I would imagine there would be domestic versions eventually, but I'll probably be too impatient to wait.

Technically the first four Eno solo albums (excluding those with Fripp) are Here Come the Warm Jets, Taking Tiger Mountain, Another Green World and Discreet Music. I'm sure all the ambient albums will be included among the twenty-two.

Sheesh —*seems like half of my favorite artists are supposed to have their catalogs updated this year: Eno, The Fall, The Cure, Talking Heads... Take them and all the DVDs Warner is supposed to be putting out, my spendthrift impulses will be fully indulged.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I believe you meant "Before and After Science" as the fourth one.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I find it unfortunate that such great SA-CD releases are announced for the UK (Eno, Bjork, Groove Armada) but not for the US.
I'd love to have all of these, but can't justify $20-30/SACD.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I certainly would be pleased if these titles comprised the first four SACD/CD releases, but I'm not sure that's what the article states:

"Since acquiring the deck, Heyworth is currently working on solo albums from Brian Eno. The first four albums of a 22-album project spanning 1973-1997 will be released in May of this year on Virgin Records in the UK."

It merely says "[t]he first four albums of a 22-album project", not necessarily "Eno's first four (solo) albums".

But I hope it means Eno's first four (solo) albums! :)

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
According to NME's site, the first four reissues will be his first "vocal" albums (Jets, Tiger, Green World and Science).

I am totally overjoyed at this news. I got into Eno around 4 years ago, when I picked up the Velvet Goldmine soundtrack on a whim and became facisnated by his track "Needle In the Camel's Eye"--prior to this, I had only known him as the guy who did the U2, Bowie and Talking Heads albums.

"Hmmm," I thought, "noisy, raccous, but the melody and singing are infectious. I think I'll seek more of him!" After that, I never looked back. I now have around 24 of his albums, and even snatched up the Eno Box: Vocal off of Amazon for around 50 dollars, which was an amazing find considering that the box (and its Instrumental brother) go for around $200 apiece.

Can't tell you how glad I am that these will be SACD's. I play his albums frequently, and each time I do, I always notice some little sonic detail that I never heard before. SACD's should open up even more of those details.

EDIT: I wonder what the chances are of Eno finally releasing My Squelchy Life as part of this series. I pieced most of it together thanks to Nerve Net and the box set, but it would be nice to have some of the rarer tracks.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
And David Bryne confirmed on a Virgin radio interview that his collaboration w/ Eno, My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, will be reissued with bonus tracks later this year. Not sure if will count as part of the Eno reissue series or not. (found on talking-heads.net)

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Has anyone found any pre-order info? I've been searching around. The only thing I found was on amazon.fr. I'm not sure if these are the SACDs or not. They're only listed as CDs. Also, I thought the new releases were to be in box sets. See below for links to amazon.fr.

Doug

Warm Jets

Tiger Mountain

Green World

BAAS

Jesse Lawson

Agent
There are listings on Amazon for domestic versions of these from Astralwerks (May 18, $16.98 each). It isn't clear if they'll be hybrid SACDs though.

Jesse Lawson

Agent
These got pushed to June 1st in the US (May 31 in the UK). The administrator of talking-heads.net mentioned in one thread (http://zimbranet.vdservers.com/~talk...cus/discus.cgi) that he'd gotten a chance to hear them and didn't notice significant improvements from the older CDs. Also, he said the packaging didn't say anything about SACD. In addition, this article (http://www.musicangle.com/shownews.php?id=43) says that for now only redbook versions are being released.

Starting to sound kind of disappointing... I'll buy them anyway, since I sold my old Caroline/E'G versions.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
From Musicangle (thanks for the link, Jesse):
Well, shit. I'm not buying the redbooks with the possibility of SACDs in the offing, and I'm certain plenty of others will await the possible vinyl issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks