What's new

Does anyone remember Davey and Goliath? (1 Viewer)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
I was wondering if anyone here remembers the old claymation of Davey and Goliath? I used to watch these episodes religiously (pardon the pun) every Saturday and Sunday, and I haven't seen them in about 30 yrs or so...I was wondering if anyone knows if these classics will be seeing the DVD treatment anytime soon. Thanks.

Carlos

Mark Lx

Second Unit
Yes, I used to watch it Sunday mornings, because it was the only kids show on at the time. And yes, I would guess sometime between 1972 and 1974.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I remember ... and I think to that Mad TV parody with Davey taking the dynamite to the abortion clinic. :D

Regards

Rocky F

Second Unit
I work at a Christian tv network, so I still see it once a week. Mountain Dew brought 'em back as pitchmen a few years ago.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
This was a fantastic show, and one that deserves full dvd treatment. I have the two previously released dvds, but I've heard/read that all the classic episodes are coming out on dvd (possibly in one or two mega sets)!

Gary "my daughters love this show" OS

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
there was a thread on this about a couple months ago.
the two image discs are now OoP, but there was talk that another distributor was going to collect all the shorts and either release one big box set or a couple smaller sets.
the image discs only had 8 shorts each (out of 50+ iirc)

i hope the info was correct as i would love to have the entire collection of these on disc.

didn't read Garys post until i posted this-
if you do a search (in the movie software forum) you'll will probably find the old thread. they split the forum up into TV and Movies and all the old tv related threads can only be searched for in the movie forum

Robyn

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! Talk about flashbacks! I remember watching that during the wee hours of the morning. That and Jim and Tammy Faye Baker's PTL show. I wasn't a religous tyke, I was just mezmerized by Tammy's makeup style which was sort of cartoonish I guess. :laugh:

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Over at DaveyandGoliath.org, in the news section, they are still claiming the episodes will be released before year's end on dvd. Of course, they've been saying this for upwards of a year now.

Gary "I'd love to have this whole series on dvd" O.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor

That was "Davey and Son of Goliath," one of the many fantastic claymation spoofs that appeared during the first few seasons of MAD. It's also my favourite of the bunch, very perceptive satire of devil-made-me-do-it radical fundamentalism.

"Look at that slut, Davey! She's laughing at you!"

I watched several of the originals as a child when I visited relatives in a city that had a TV station that played them, and to be honest, I never got the religious underpinnings despite being raised a catholic until I was about six or seven. I certainly got the little moral of each episode (at least the ones I saw), but it wasn't until I was all growed up, and much more skeptical about the things I'd been fed, that I saw an episode in which Davey and Goliath land on an island in a small boat (can't remember the context: family vacation?) and Davey slings the anchor over his shoulder and drags it across the sand like a cross that I actually realized how heavy handed the show could often be. Wild stuff!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Brian,

It's interesting to me how we all have different perspectives on things like this. I NEVER saw Davey and Goliath as being "heavy handed", because it makes no bones about being anything other than a religious show that teaches good values.

On the other hand, I have an interesting parallel to your comments. When I was young, I watched "All in the Family" during its initial run and laughed my head off, completely missing any subtle messages from Mr. Norman Lear.

It wasn't until years later, when I saw it on reruns, that I picked up on the extreme anti-Christian, pro-secular humanist worldview that Lear was shoving down his audiences throat. Talk about heavy-handed. Of course, that stuff is mild by today's standards, but in the early 70's it was beyond heavy-handed on that level.

Gary "just found it interesting that you saw D&G as 'heavy handed' when I saw it as a great kid's show created from a religious perspective" O.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
"Throat-cramming" is practiced by both sides of the political and religious spectrum. Always has, always will be. And when one side points it out, the other always responds in kind.

Well met, my good man. I take back the "heavy handed" remark, but I'm not sure ALL IN THE FAMILY was the best target for a parallel commentary. if it wasn't for the horrible humanism practised since the Renaissance era, we wouldn't have a great deal of modern medicine, science and other forms of advancement that have benefitted many people regardless of religion, culture or skin colour.

And ALL IN THE FAMILY hardly caused the downfall of the conservative (or Christian) way of being. Nothing ever will, thankfully. Gotta have conflicting viewpoints or we'll never get anywhere, but since when did satirizing a conservative mindset automatically become "anti-Christian"? If anything, it satirized the ignorance extreme right wing conservatives had been spreading for many years (by painting any liberal-minded secular-prone person as a dangerous, anti-authoritarian hippie, commie, beatnik what have you - oh, the laughs come flooding back!), particularly in TV land by creating as its main protagonist (antagonist?) a staunch conservative who not only didn't truly understand his own religion, but disrespected the religion, race and sex of just about everyone around him. If anything, Archie Bunker's blinkered thinking ultimately made every episode pro-whatever (obviously with a liberal bias), including many of the ones regarding religion which were NOT exactly the majority of episodes.

But your mention of "today's standards" at least acknowledges you're aware of how much more open such dialogues, even in the form of satire from both sides, really are today.

And I never said I didn't like Davey and Goliath. I certainly got the morals of the episodes I saw. Hell, I was probably the kind of uninformed child they were preaching to! And you're right, it is nothing more than a great kids show created from a religious perspective. So again, I'll retract my original comment about the heavy-handedness (but I'm leaving it in the original post for continuity's sake). Seeing the show years later, as an adult, however, I was struck by how obvious, to an adult, some of the imagery was. I'll admit, the show didn't "cram" literal scripture into impressionable young minds the way Christian scare films did in the 40s and 50s, or use a little puppetoon Jesus to make its points, but there was a never-denied agenda; it just ran counter to the agenda of people like Norman Lear, a liberal-thinking Jew was at least somewhat familiar with the hypocricy and intolerance practiced by some people on the right down through the centuries.

Both sides have valid points to make in their own special ways, and the right to make them.

You won't likely believe this, but I actually picked up D&G Vol. 2 (which now seems to be out of print) at a used place a few months ago. I'll freely admit it was more for nostalgia value than anything else. I still admire, in some ways, what Clokey did with this series, but time has not been overly kind, solely in my opinion, making it seem more and more like a product of a simpler time, rather than a response to increasingly troubled times that it was (in many ways), with each passing year. And I'm almost afraid to admit it, but watching these things with my girlfriend (who comes from a strong Christian background, shock and horror!) one night a few months ago was a rather creepy experience for both of us, probably more for her since she'd never seen them before.

JimWICKS

Grip
It's been a long time since I've seen any of the Davey and Goliath episodes so I'm afraid I can't evaluate them, but I do know I don't remember them as well as I remember Gumby. I remember learning from Gumby, that "toro" was the Spanish word for "bull" I must also say that while it is true that Norman Lear programs are often "preachy" , I don't see any evidence of an anti-Christian or anti-religious bias. I even recall one episode of Good Times in which the "one nation under God" clause in the Pledge of Allegiance was defended. For some reason MASH has also been criticised, mainly by Falwell, for being anti-Christian, though it contains a rather sympathetic portrayal of a priest one rarely sees on television.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks