Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Help choosing sub!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   ColinW

ColinW

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted March 15 2004 - 12:35 PM

Hi all - I am in the market for a new sub. I have a modest theatre, running a Polk 6200 satellite system powered by a Kenwood VR509 amp. I was using a Polk PSW250 8" sub but it recently crapped out and is not under warranty anymore, so I am using this an excuse to upgrade.

I would love to go the SVS route, but the prices are out of my ballpark and it would be overkill for my theatre anyway. I am looking for something that would provide good performance on a tight budget.

I remember a few years ago when I was putting this theatre together people were keen on a Sony sub, but I don't remember any details. Which sub would work well with my satellite system in place now?

I am in Canada and would prefer to buy from within the country if possible.

Thanks for any and all help.

Colin

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Yousaf

Yousaf

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted March 15 2004 - 12:54 PM

A Hsu VTF-2 or STF-2 or the Adire Rava would all be significant steps up from what you have now, and would come in at $400 USD. I think there are Canadian Adire dealers but don't hold me to that.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   eryn shannon

eryn shannon

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted March 15 2004 - 01:33 PM

Here in canada we get really good prices on our canadien speakers. Have a listen to the athena as-p400 $499cdn and if your willing to spend a little more the PSB sub5I $599cdn. Both good 10" subs.