Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Help choosing sub!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 ColinW

ColinW

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted March 15 2004 - 12:35 PM

Hi all - I am in the market for a new sub. I have a modest theatre, running a Polk 6200 satellite system powered by a Kenwood VR509 amp. I was using a Polk PSW250 8" sub but it recently crapped out and is not under warranty anymore, so I am using this an excuse to upgrade.

I would love to go the SVS route, but the prices are out of my ballpark and it would be overkill for my theatre anyway. I am looking for something that would provide good performance on a tight budget.

I remember a few years ago when I was putting this theatre together people were keen on a Sony sub, but I don't remember any details. Which sub would work well with my satellite system in place now?

I am in Canada and would prefer to buy from within the country if possible.

Thanks for any and all help.

Colin

#2 of 3 Yousaf

Yousaf

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted March 15 2004 - 12:54 PM

A Hsu VTF-2 or STF-2 or the Adire Rava would all be significant steps up from what you have now, and would come in at $400 USD. I think there are Canadian Adire dealers but don't hold me to that.

#3 of 3 eryn shannon

eryn shannon

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted March 15 2004 - 01:33 PM

Here in canada we get really good prices on our canadien speakers. Have a listen to the athena as-p400 $499cdn and if your willing to spend a little more the PSB sub5I $599cdn. Both good 10" subs.