What's new

Star Trek Voyager S2 specs (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Of interest to fans of Star Trek Voyager, the following is from Trekweb which got this information from our friends at TVShowsonDVD.com regarding S2 of Voyager:

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator
Season 2 had some greats. There was "Deadlock," with an alternate Voyager; "Projections" with Lt. Barclay; "Twisted," with a spatial anomaly of a different sort; "Dreadnought," a good stop-the-weapon thriller with a nice Alpha Quadrant connection; and "Threshold," a twist on the evolutionary ladder.

It will great to see this awesome and typically underrated show in the pristine DVD format with no commercials or station bugs.

The extras sound good too.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Those were some good shows from the second year Sean. Deadlock always bugged me because of the resolution. Typical of Brannon Braga, he likes to do these twisted sci-fi shows that play with time and alternate universes. The ending still sticks with me today after first seeing it on broadcast. Without giving it away, Is he really him, is he himself? Plays with your mind.;)

Frank@N

Screenwriter

I was floored when I read this, no wonder the 1st season was so light.

Since there wasn't season-ending cliffhanger, they really should have added these episodes back to 1st season.

When DS9-S1 came out with 19 episodes, no one complained.

That should have been the standard for V-S1 too, 15 episodes is pushing it.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm torn between two responses:

(1) ::brain exploes::

(2) Oh, so you're the guy who liked it.

That's the salamander one, right? I seem to recall it generally being considered alongside Star Trek V as a contender for the franchise's lowest point.

Jari

Stunt Coordinator

Threshold... definitely the worst hour of Trek I've ever seen. But then again Voyager's season 2 really killed my interest in Star Trek for a long long time. After a several non-trek years I've gained enough interest to finally get up and watch the remaining DS9 seasons 5-7. I'd like to give Voyager another chance because I really liked some of the characters, but not with that pricetag Paramount.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
My vote for the worst Voyager episode of S2 was called Thaw, the one where Michael McKean plays a maniacal clown who imprison's Torres and Kim.

I didn't mind Threshold as I recall it, Paris knocks up Janeway!

But the two best shows of S2 are Tuvix and Deathwish. Tuvix was interesting for the moral dilemna Janeway faced. What if she left them? And I liked Deathwish for the alegorical story and the two Q's facing off.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Ugh. That one was awful. Another one I hated, hated, hated was The Fight, where Chakotay faced off against Kid Chaos in an allegory about communicating with an alien species, or some such bilge. I've sat through that one twice, thinking it might be better the second time. It wasn't.

Interestingly, Joe Menosky had a hand in both episodes. I'll say one thing about Menosky: he takes chances. He's definitely trying to "boldly go" with his writing. Thing is, I'm not really sure his efforts really work, for the most part. Most of my least-favorite episodes feature his writing. Look at his DS9 record: Dramatis Personae, Rivals, Distant Voices, Time's Orphan. I know I didn't like Dramatis Personae, and I hated Distant Voices (yet another one of those "dramatic realizations of the mind" episodes). I don't remember much about Rivals, but Time's Orphan was kind of ill-advised. I'm actually ambivalent about that one, but it strikes me as one of those life-changing stories that never resonates beyond that episode. Or, to state it in standard Trek critical terms, a reset-button episode.

That doesn't even get to his TNG writing. I guess Darmok was kind of interesting, but Masks and some of the others were pretty painful. But, that's way too much about Menosky for this thread. Maybe it would be worth starting a thread just about him. I don't know.

JohnAP

Second Unit
I'm looking forward to this, though I think the show was kind of weak until somewhere during the third season. Seasons 3 through 5 are the ones I really want.

Also, allow me to throw in and agree that Threshold is the low point of this series. Absolutely ridiculous.

Real Name
Seth Thrasher
Why are Trek DVD's so blinking expensive? No other show comes even *REMOTELY* close to that pricetag, including other 1-hour shows with the same season length (Think a lot of the Cop shows)...

Why?

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

Yes, the Trek sets are pricey, but if you think NO other shows are as expensive, you've obviously missed some titles...

X-Files, Space:1999, Red Dwarf and many anime programs equalled or exceeded the price of Trek on DVD (for $ per hour). Those are just the ones in my collection - there must be more out there.

This is not to defend Paramount's pricing - but so many people seem to think that these are in a class by themselves, pricewise. Simply not true.

-Scott

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
This is why I wasn't so sure Voyager wouldn't sell; this thread already has two people citing some of the episodes that made me hate the show ("Threshhold" and "Tuvix") as among its best. Both had godawful ridiculous endings - the ending of "Tuvix" is one of the reasons I always figured the series should end with Janeway's court-martial - but apparently have an audience.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Re: Threshold and Tuvix, I cannot remember the specifics for how they converted Paris and Janeway back to human form, I'll see when then the DVD's arrive. But I never thought it was great or horrible.

But as far as Tuvix goes, I liked how they build on Tuvix as a new individual with a likable personality. The crew seems to accept him. But if we were in Janeway's show's and knowing that they lost their friends, what are they to do. If there was no way to separate them, then I wouldn't have minded the show if they left them. Janeway and Kes would be mourning the loss of their friends.

However, the show "Faces" where Torres was split into her separate human and Klingon halves by the Vidiians would have been much better if they couldn't have reintergrated her. I liked her better as two people and I thought that would have been a bold move. And Roxann Dawson wouldn't have been out of a job.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Cool, I just got done watching S1 last night.

Was amazed at how full-formed most of the characters were in S1 and how much I enjoyed the eps.

Looking forward to S2, used the Blockbuster pre-order to get a very good deal.

I paid in full, they had better honor it come Tuesday!

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
To get this thread back on track. I believe that the price for what Paramount gives us in terms of specs is too expensive. Hence I seek the set second hand. At this point I seriously doubt Paramount is going to change the Specs/Price ratio. Perhaps with other future progams they might.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Just got my copy of S2.

Odd that several Eps were shown out of order compared to their EP#s listed on the back.

You'd think they would have just started with the holdover Eps from S1 and gone from there.

Guess they might have made some determinations about the strengths of each Ep and then tried to start off S2 with the biggest impact...?

Frank@N

Screenwriter

I agree and have acquired all my sets used in the $60 range.

Despite the excitement over the upcoming TOS releases, I feel these sets should be priced much lower than the modern shows.

Doubt that will happen.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

'Tis the problem with Voyager. Paramount is releasing the sets based on their broadcast order, yet the episodes are marked in their production order. And the Voyager Companion book arranges the episodes in their production order, while the second volume of the Star Trek Chronology has the holdover episodes listed in the chronology as part of the second season based on their broadcast order. Go figure...

Seriously, it's all a matter of choosing how you want to watch them, either in production or broadcast order.

As for Paramount repricing the Star Trek season sets at a much more reasonable price for everyone as opposed to the extremely exorbitant prices: only when hell freezes over. Yet other series' season sets such as Smallville or B5 are priced much more affordably. (I picked up Smallville: Season 2 through Amazon.com for the unbelievably low price of $38.69 yesterday!) That's why you can go on eBay and find so many TNG and DS9 auctions at ridiculously affordable prices, and everyone snatches them up, and it'll be a matter of time before we see the same for Voyager and TOS. Paramount should look not only at other products like Smallville but also at what's going on at eBay and realize that their high prices are turning serious fans and collectors off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks