Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Parasound PLD-1100 or Marantz SR4400/5400

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 Steve(S)

Steve(S)

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted March 15 2004 - 09:50 AM

I currently have a Parasound PLD-1100 preamp, and as most of you know it only handles 2 channel analog audio. My problem now is that I have a DVD player that I feel is in need of a external DAC (possibly Parasound DAC-1100), since the player's analog audio outputs are inferior to my previous DVD player, but I'm stuck with this one.

My real question to all of you is, would it be worth my while to get a Marantz SR4400/5400 receiver that has its own internal DACs? The Parasound originally came out in 1998 and the Marantz is a 2004 model. Just wondering if the sound quality of the Marantz would now equal or exceed the sound quality of the Parasound since 6 years of technology advancement separate the two. I would use the Marantz with both digital and analog sources.

One of my goals is to streamline my audio setup, with the least amount of components possible. Any advice would be helpful.Posted Image
If it's available at Best Buy or Circuit City, then it's not good enough.