What's new

Screen for HS 20 (1 Viewer)

Ali K

Auditioning
I have just purchased a Sony HS 20 and am a first time PJ buyer. I need advice on screens, as I am shipping the equipment out of the US where I work, I need a manual retractable screen that I can install myself (the projector will be ceiling installed, and I am planning to make my own mount, any help there would also be appreciated). I have ordered a Da-Lite model C (92") in HC Matte White.Do you think this was the right choice? I was thinking of something with a bit of gain, but couldn't find any mannually retaractable screens with silver/grey material!!!!

The room will be dark, with dark walls, so reflected light is not a problem, maximum viweing angle will also be about 30 degrees as the room is quite narrow and long.

I would greatly appreciate your help!!!

Ali

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

For LCD based units, picking something with a lower gain is preferable. 0.8 for instance. The gray screens are preferred.

Regards

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Have you considered asking them for samples? They will do that.

I've heard of a few people prefering the HCMW over the HCDM and HCCV fabrics, so you may have made a good choice.

Ali K

Auditioning
Thank You Guys!!

I am actually leaving the US in a week and so have had to purchase the HCMW without an audition, I was debating whether I should have got a high gain screen, but I couldn't find any manual retractable screens with that material (does anyone know of one?). I am limited to a manual retractable because I have to take the unit with me and install it myself. I seriously hope I have made the right choice.

Ali

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Ali, enjoy your new projector. I own the model from 2 years ago, the VPL-11HT, which is very similar. I am renting a home, and the basement has a wonderful wall which was finished, painted with flat bright white paint with just a slight grey tint, very little. I have been watching my programming on this wall without a screen for 2 years, and it looks beautiful. I know a screen would increase contract somewhat, but just letting you know there is always this option until you find or can afford the screen that you want. I have the projector far enough back to project a 16 x 9 widescreen movie at 165", and the results are just gorgeous. And with HDTV from my Time Warner cable, well, jaw dropping. I can't imagine what HDTV looks like at that size with a projector that has the full pixel specs, but at 20,000.00 for the newest Sony technology, I will have to wait to find out. Anyone else using only a painted wall?

Be sure the paint is very flat, and the wall is completely smooth. Again, of course a screen is better, but in some cases, as in mine, I spent alot on the projector and it is nice to use it right away, especially if the screen is not affordable at the same time.

Ali K

Auditioning
Thanks Robert,

I have actually bought a Da-lite Model C, I will just have to check it in on the plane which should be interesting!!!!

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator
i have heard that the high power da lite screen is simply beautiful with this pj ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks