-

Photo
- - - - -

Screen for HS 20

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Ali K

Ali K

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted March 15 2004 - 06:55 AM

I have just purchased a Sony HS 20 and am a first time PJ buyer. I need advice on screens, as I am shipping the equipment out of the US where I work, I need a manual retractable screen that I can install myself (the projector will be ceiling installed, and I am planning to make my own mount, any help there would also be appreciated). I have ordered a Da-Lite model C (92") in HC Matte White.Do you think this was the right choice? I was thinking of something with a bit of gain, but couldn't find any mannually retaractable screens with silver/grey material!!!!

The room will be dark, with dark walls, so reflected light is not a problem, maximum viweing angle will also be about 30 degrees as the room is quite narrow and long.

I would greatly appreciate your help!!!

Ali

#2 of 7 Michael TLV

Michael TLV

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted March 15 2004 - 06:59 AM

Greetings

For LCD based units, picking something with a lower gain is preferable. 0.8 for instance. The gray screens are preferred.

Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#3 of 7 Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter

• 1,402 posts

Posted March 15 2004 - 08:56 AM

Have you considered asking them for samples? They will do that.

I've heard of a few people prefering the HCMW over the HCDM and HCCV fabrics, so you may have made a good choice.
Home Theater Forum Sponsor

#4 of 7 Ali K

Ali K

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted March 15 2004 - 05:46 PM

Thank You Guys!!

I am actually leaving the US in a week and so have had to purchase the HCMW without an audition, I was debating whether I should have got a high gain screen, but I couldn't find any manual retractable screens with that material (does anyone know of one?). I am limited to a manual retractable because I have to take the unit with me and install it myself. I seriously hope I have made the right choice.

Ali

#5 of 7 RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel

Supporting Actor

• 984 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 05:38 AM

Ali, enjoy your new projector. I own the model from 2 years ago, the VPL-11HT, which is very similar. I am renting a home, and the basement has a wonderful wall which was finished, painted with flat bright white paint with just a slight grey tint, very little. I have been watching my programming on this wall without a screen for 2 years, and it looks beautiful. I know a screen would increase contract somewhat, but just letting you know there is always this option until you find or can afford the screen that you want. I have the projector far enough back to project a 16 x 9 widescreen movie at 165", and the results are just gorgeous. And with HDTV from my Time Warner cable, well, jaw dropping. I can't imagine what HDTV looks like at that size with a projector that has the full pixel specs, but at 20,000.00 for the newest Sony technology, I will have to wait to find out. Anyone else using only a painted wall?

Be sure the paint is very flat, and the wall is completely smooth. Again, of course a screen is better, but in some cases, as in mine, I spent alot on the projector and it is nice to use it right away, especially if the screen is not affordable at the same time.

Classics on Blu-ray is what it is all about!

#6 of 7 Ali K

Ali K

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted March 16 2004 - 01:17 PM

Thanks Robert,

I have actually bought a Da-lite Model C, I will just have to check it in on the plane which should be interesting!!!!

#7 of 7 joey mr

joey mr

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 12:59 AM

i have heard that the high power da lite screen is simply beautiful with this pj Posted Image