What's new

Marantz SR5400 and SACD/DVD-A Question (1 Viewer)

Blaine_M

Second Unit
I just purchased a Marantz SR5400. I have a question concerning the low frequency mangament when using the multi-channel annalog input. Does the crossover point I select in the setup also apply to the multichannel input when using the analog inputs for SACD/DVD-A?

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
If I interpret the comment on p. 25

of the owner's manual correctly, on the Marantz 5400, selecting 6.1 channel input bypasses all settings, including the bass management settings, of the receiver (bass management is normally considered part of the processing). Therefore bass management, if any, is done in the player. This is the case in the vast majority of receivers out there. Those that do apply bass management to DVD-A/SACD analogue inputs (my Integra DTR 6.4 does this) seem to do so by converting DSD to PCM on the SACD signal, which many say defeats the purpose of SACD (I haven't tried this yet so I can't speak to the actual sound quality issues this raises). If you want to have a crossover setting apply to your "universal" player, you'll have to apply it within the player (most of them offer a fixed point ranging from 80hz [Denon 2200, 2900], 100hz [Marantz DV6400] and I've read as high as 200hz [Pioneer DV-563A, SACD setting]. The only player I know of (and I don't know them all, just those I've considered) that offers flexible bass management is the Denon 5900 (it converts DSD to PCM to accomplish this). The time delay issue is a whole other ball of wax). Your other option is Outlaw Audio's ICBM, which allows the greatest flexibility in setting crossovers for analogue inputs (though if all of your speakers are comfortably close in frequency response, that level of flexibility may not be necessary).

Hope this helps.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
What's a dennon 2200 run? I like the 80hz. I don't understand why the others don't go lower. I'm trying to do a little research now on what the Pioneer DV-45A is set to. Not having much luck.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
The 2200 retails around 600$, I've read/heard of it going for 525-550$. As to why others set higher xovers, I have a theory, but no hard facts. 100Hz seems to be the "best" compromise between sat/sub systems and bookshelf/sub systems. My HKTS6 sat/sub actually would be ideally set at 150hz-180hz but my Boston Acoustics VR-M bookshelf speakers would probably be best crossed at around 60hz (though 80 is okay, I guess). I think the manufacturers picked 100hz as "close enough", figuring that anyone with floorstanders will just set those to large. Just a theory.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Anyone have any idea what the Pioneer DV-45a is crossed over at? I just spent 10 minutes on the phone with them and they weren't able to tell me! What a joke, they don't even know thier own products.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
They are probably reading their own owner's manuals, which don't mention anywhere what the crossover frequency is when speakers are set to small. I looked at the 47, 45 and 563 manuals and all they say are to set to small if the woofer is less than 12cm (about 5 1/4"). I find this recommendation disturbingly vague. The Yamaha manual suggests a small setting for a 16cm woofer (about 7 3/4" or so) but at least they also state a frequency, so you can judge for yourself. I guess Pioneer didn't want to give us too many "confusing" bits of data.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks