What's new

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story - Anamorphic? (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I'm almost positive that this movie just came out January 6, 2004, but when I watched it last night, it was 2.35:1 non-anamorphic.

Now, my DVD player is out for repairs and I had to use my old DVD player (which I never had problems with), and the movie wasn't anamorphic. Can anyone confirm this? My player was set correctly and has played other anamorphic movies correctly, but I was shocked that a brand new DVD wasn't done anamorphically.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Nope, this is an oldie. Good movie, but I hardly watch since it isn't anamorphic. Man, have I gotten spoiled over the years! In my LD days, I was grateful for OAR, now I'm upset over movies like THE THING because they're not anamorphic.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I know! The jagged lines from stretching it to fit my 16x9 tv was tough to get through. I just kept imagining how much better it would be in anamorphic format.

Gary Palmer

Stunt Coordinator
In terms of content and supplemental materials, this would qualify as one of the very best DVD's ever released if the movie itself had been masterd anamorphically. It's still a good quality print, and I'm glad to have it in the original ratio (with thunderous 5.1 sound!), but I'd be first in the queue for an anamorphic upgrade, with all the same extras, and more besides!! A hell of a movie, and still a worthwhile DVD, but it could have been just that little bit better if they'd gone anamorphic.

Actually, make that a HELL of a lot better!!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I think that's what threw me. With all the extras, I couldn't believe that it was that old and figured it was a new release. If it didn't have all the extras and a 5.1 soundtrack, I'd assume it was just an old title and never would have written this thread.

In relevance to the thread about the 7th year of DVD, it's hard to imagine that were at the point where you could buy a DVD and run into the issue of it being "OLD" and almost obsolete. :eek: I would LOVE to be able to watch this again, but I just couldn't handle the shakiness from stretching it to fit my 16x9 tv.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
You also have to remember that those early Universal Special Edition DVDs were ports from $70-$100 laserdisc box sets, so they still seemed like a bargain at $35 MSRP (which was a full $10 more than the Warner/MGM/New Line special editions of the time).

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Now that you mention it, I do remember Lindas voice over at the beginning and she referred to this as the "Laserdic" edition. So it was obviously a transfer from LD to DVD.

Gary Palmer

Stunt Coordinator
"You also have to remember that those early Universal Special Edition DVDs were ports from $70-$100 box sets, so they still seemed like a bargain at $35 MSRP (which was a full $10 more than the Warner/MGM/New Line special editions of the time)."

Absolutely! A great movie, fantastic supplements (how did they cram so much onto ONE disc??!!), and an UTTERLY BARGAIN price!! Incredible stuff, one of the jewels in my DVD collection.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Just watched this last night. Forgot how enjoyable this film was!

I have to say it looked more like 2.20:1 than 2.35:1. IMDB says 2.35, but I wonder if that is correct. Would love a 16x9 transfer.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Just watched this last night. Forgot how enjoyable this film was!

I have to say it looked more like 2.20:1 than 2.35:1. IMDB says 2.35, but I wonder if that is correct. Would love a 16x9 transfer.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I absolutely love this movie. I saw it 4 times in the theatre, including the sneak preview showing a week prior to the official release.

I loved everything about this movie, especially the stellar fight sequences. I don't own this yet on DVD, but I plan on getting it. The question is, should I grab the exsisting release now, or hold out for an anamorphic release? In the meantime, I'll hold on to my worn VHS copy. lol.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I absolutely love this movie. I saw it 4 times in the theatre, including the sneak preview showing a week prior to the official release.

I loved everything about this movie, especially the stellar fight sequences. I don't own this yet on DVD, but I plan on getting it. The question is, should I grab the exsisting release now, or hold out for an anamorphic release? In the meantime, I'll hold on to my worn VHS copy. lol.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
This has been on HD NET's Movie channel lately, so I presume an anamporphic High Def Transfer has been done...

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
This has been on HD NET's Movie channel lately, so I presume an anamporphic High Def Transfer has been done...

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Andrew,

Universal has been doing a lot of catalog re-releases with new transfers, so my advice would be to rent it and wait for a new version.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Andrew,

Universal has been doing a lot of catalog re-releases with new transfers, so my advice would be to rent it and wait for a new version.

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
Get a Hitachi 51F500; anamorphic and non-anamorphic look pretty much alike. :)

I used to have problems like you describe, until I switched to a home theater PC. Now, non-anamorphic just means a somewhat softer image.

RD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks