What's new

Which DVI cable to use in future with Panasonic PTAE/L 500? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I have an iScan Ultra connected to my AE100 Projector via VGA cable. If I upgrade to a projector with DVI input, such as the Panny 500, which DVI cable to use? Digital? Analog? The one that does both? What do they look like and how can I differentiate them? DVI-I or DVI-D or something like that? I'd need a 25 foot cable minimum.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
DVI-D is the one you want to use. Single link is fine, though dual link will work ok too. You want a reasonable quality DVI cable for that length, don't just go for any low quality cable.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
There are three DVI connection types: DVI-I (analogue and digital), DVI-A (analogue only) and DVI-D (digital only). You want DVI-D, which looks like this (24 pins):

The connector above is dual link, but the following single link would also be fine (dual link is much more common):

DVI-I is more common than DVI-D, but the plug won't fit into the AE500. DVI-I looks like this (24 pins plus 5 for analogue RGBHV):

The extra pins visible on the left are analogue. The AE500 won't accept analogue DVI and these pins will prevent a DVI-I plug from fitting. As Gabriel said, single link is fine. It's good for up to 1920x1080/60Hz (dual link is good to 2048x1536/60Hz), so don't worry much about whether the cable is single/dual link.

As far as I know DVI has no error correction, so a good quality cable may be wise for long lengths. I'm currently looking at getting an Audioquest DV-1 cable, which looks to be good value for money. There isn't a huge choice, but I believe Better Cables and Monster also do DVI cables; all cost ~$200-300 for a 30 foot length (Monster is more expensive).

Adam

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Wow. Thats costly. I wonder if its worth the money? What is the "single-link" and "dual-link" stuff? What exactly are the link details in terms of the actual technology of the cable?

Ali K

Auditioning
I've just bought a Sony HS 20 and wanted a DVI cabel of about 25 ft lenght, but was unable to find one at that length. Montsre cable however, do a 40 ft version which costs 400 USD retail, but cab be found for about 260, do a froogle search for M500 DVI

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter

Marvin E

Stunt Coordinator
Adam:
I ordered a RAM Electronics 40 foot DVI-D Cable from RAM Electronics for $182.00 for my PTL-300U. There seems to be some confusion, though, on some of the other Forums about what format DVI-D supports, especially with the PTL 300U. Just what does a DVI-D Cable support using a Momitsu V880 or a HDTV receiver, without using Component Video Outputs or a VGA Adapter?

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Marvin, the DVI-D cable supports 24-bit digital RGB (8-bit x 3) video + integrated sync through a serial bitstream. It also carries a differential pixel clock channel and a two-way 'query/response' Display Data Channel.

The Momitsu outputs digital and analogue RGB from its DVI-I output, but the DVI-D cable doesn't utilise the analogue component of the output signal.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks