Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Maximum component video cable length?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Todd^B

Todd^B

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted March 14 2004 - 04:54 AM

I am building my basement and would like to run a component video cable thru the ceiling to where our future projector will be. I have found a 25' and a 100' component cable on the internet. Will the video degrade after a certain length? I think 25' should be enough to go up the wall and diagonally across the ceiling. Would adding wall plates for a better look and connecting the cables thru the wall plates degrade the video at all? I may also run stereo RCA cables w/yellow video and an S-video cable. Do you see any issues with the either. Thanks.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted March 14 2004 - 05:48 AM

Do you know what projector it is? Many more are starting to come with DVI inputs for a bit perfect digital signal, and the current players with DVI outs are cheap. If not then 25' sounds fine. The VGA cable to my LCD screen is about 20' and I don't notice any difference when I hooked it up with the stock 6' or so cable.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Todd^B

Todd^B

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted March 14 2004 - 11:55 AM

DVI is a consideration. I would like to have inputs into the projector from a satellite receiver, s-vhs maybe. Those would be s-video though. Not sure which projector yet. Still doing homework on those.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted March 14 2004 - 11:58 AM

The custom cable sites sell coax by Canare and Belden that are rolled out to 100 ft, tested and the results are published - you should be fine. Dont under any circumstances put in wall-plates and break the connections. While this is fine for audio, it is harmful for video, and even worse for progressive/HD video (Think of a speed bump at 5 mph and 50 mph) You can buy blank wall-plates and cut your own holes and a slit to thread the cables through if you want. The custom cable sites can sell you 2 long runs of cable: - Component cable - another component cable, but made with mini-coax so that 2 of the wires terminate in SVideo and the third in a RCA plug for composite. This will give you all possible combinations you might need.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter

• 1,402 posts

Posted March 14 2004 - 01:34 PM

Have you considered running conduit through your ceiling so that you can easily pull more cable through later? I forgot to do this the first time and had to rip my ceiling open again. Posted Image

Put 3" conduit if at all possible.
Home Theater Forum Sponsor

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Todd^B

Todd^B

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted March 15 2004 - 03:02 AM

Thanks for the info. I will check those two cable manufacturers. I might be able to run conduit. That would be a good idea if it will fit in my 2x4 wall. I do have a little space behind the wall where the insulation is. I am also considering making "pillars" in the corner of our HT room. Just to give it a theater feel. I could use these to run conduit. Since my receiver and temporarily our Sony Vega will be in the corner, this might work out well. Thanks for the ideas.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted March 15 2004 - 05:05 PM

Before you get corrected by some electronics snob in real life Posted Image it's spelled Wega, pronounced "Vega."

www.sony.com/wega

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Ali K

Ali K

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted March 15 2004 - 05:38 PM

You cab find DVI- cables in 20' and 40' lengths from Monster, the MSRP is quite high but if you do a froogle search, you can find substantial savings!!! I have just purchased a 40' DVI-D for my Sony HS20 and am also worried about signal degradation. However; digital signal shouls be less compromised.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users