What's new

I'm ready now more than ever. 165 lbs. here I come! (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Okay. Over the holidays I ended up gaining 15 lbs. So, now I have 45 lbs. to go to get down to my coveted goal of 165 lbs. at 10% bodyfat. I started the Body For Life program for the third time three weeks ago, but my nutrition sucked (and I haven't lost much -- but I have gained some strength and lean mass).

I gorged on junk food and fast food on the weekends (when Sunday was supposed to be my only cheat day). This past week was terrible -- I ate fast food exclusively on Tuesday and Thursday, and had almost 1,000 calories worth of junk food Wednesday night.

Now, I am really FED UP with these habits. I'm completely eliminating junk food and fast food from my diet. I'm going to go throughout the next three-five months (no matter how long it takes) to get down to 165.

This Saturday is the first Saturday in awhile that I haven't had any junk food or fast food. And you know what? It really feels good. Now I'm going to repeat the same thing tomorrow, and I'll do everything in my power to make sure that I don't eat junk food until my metabolism is sufficient enough for me to do so. And even then I'll have such a great-looking body that I probably won't even want to eat fast food (except of course, for the occasional cheat meal once a month).

I'll be putting my weight loss web site up tomorrow to help provide motivation and gauge my progress. I'll post the link here once it's up. :emoji_thumbsup:

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Good job man, I like reading these stories.

As a sidenote I wonder if anyone did the opposite and posted their transformation of them gaining weight.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Thanks, guys! I have intense desire for this thing to happen, that I'm doing whatever it's going to take (naturally -- I'll never do the surgery or steroids) to get down to my goal weight. It'll be this summer, guys! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
All I have to say is, Go Brian!

I'm down to 192 lbs (from 270 lbs. on 1-1-03). Haven't had junk food of any sort (candy, chips, cake, pie, etc. etc.) in nearly 15 months.

The hard work is well worth it.

Jon

CaseyLS

Second Unit
I am down to 195 now. Last year I was up to 240. Since I dropped the weight, I have been able to dunk a basketball so much easier. I will need to start doing some weight training though casue now I look like a damn stick.:D

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
Brian:

Congrats. Keep up the motivation!

Scott L:

I'll share my story of the other end of the spectrum, weight gain. For much of my life, I was very skinny. I stand at 5'11" and weighed in at 135lbs. My collarbones were as visible as a skeleton, and you could wash a shirt on my ribcage. Three years ago, I began taking protein shakes and working out at home. Even without a weight-training regimen, or a gym, I began putting on weight.
I started with a barbell, 100lbs of weights, a pair of dumbbells, and two chairs. Last year, I added a bench and some more weights. Last month, I bought a power rack and started a full body exercise routine.

Today, I tip the scale at 170lbs. Not a phenomenal gain, but there was lack of a proper exercise regimen and diet-habits. I didn't train constantly. Motivation came and went. Nevertheless, it produced a life-altering change. Gone are the jokes. Gone are questions from friends/family members if I'm starving. Gone are the doubts that my money was going towards my HT and DVDs. I only get praise from friends and patients, men and women alike. It's an awesome feeling and even more rewarding that it was done naturally (whey protein is still natural, no?). Hardwork, and no 'roids or creatine, or fancy chemicals with name you can't pronounce.

To all skinny guys who think they can't do it: eat lots, sleep, and push hard.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Congrats!
I lost about 65 pounds last year about this time, it really does feel great.

until you gain it all back like I did :frowning:

John Stone

Supporting Actor
You know I'm pulling for you, Brian. Congratulations on giving up the junk/fast food (a must!), and on your new web site. It looks great!

See you on the beach. :)

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Good for you Brian. It can be done. I have done it, and now I need to do it again, but it is MUCH harder as you get older.

Back when I was 25 or so, I got to 200lbs, quite a lot for a 5'8" height. So I started my first program: high protein powder and skim milk, and started "jogging" which for me was shuffle a few steps, walk and pant, shuffle a few steps.

Over a year, I dropped to 160lbs and was actually JOGGING 2 miles a day.

Then I moved to Colorado, started running 4-5 miles a day at altitude, became a vegetarian, and dropped to 145 lbs.

A few years later, I started vet school, and sloooooowly the weight crept back to 160lbs. My senior year in vet school we were in clinics 12 hours a day for a year AND I reinjured my left knee. No running....my weight got to 180lbs.

Fast forward 15 years to now. Everytime I try to start jogging, my left knee blows up like a balloon and my weight has gotten to 212lbs. Last week I started a new diet, and I have started walking, I hope my knee can take that at least.

See you at 165lbs. :)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

Hehe.. this reminds me of when I moved out of my parent's house in my early 20's and got a place with my girlfriend (now wife). We both worked minimum wage jobs and lived paycheck to paycheck. I lost weight because we didn't have much food to eat! A trip to Arby's was a special treat for us. :) I always joke about being on the "poverty diet" back then. Couple that with the fact that I was pretty athletic prior to that time so, my metablolism was still "keyed up". I dropped down to about 135 and looking at pictures I looked like a holocaust victim.

Now, I'm determined to spend all of my money so I can get back on the "poverty diet". :)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Thanks for the encouragement, guys! This is day four that I've stayed completely away from fast food and junk food. My clothes are already feeling looser (probably because of all the water weight going away). Plus, I'm already back down to 210 from 215. Whoo-hoo!! This is turning into a John Stone transformation so far. Of course, I have no problems with that. :D

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
First of this year my wife encouraged me to join Weight Watchers. I was a little hesitant as I pictured it as a bunch of over-weight old ladys cackling about their weight.

I started at 226 lbs(the heaviest I have ever been) and have steadily removed almost 20 lbs.

Once a week I go and step on the scale to record my progress and pick up a bit of reading about exercise or nutrition. I don't stay for the meetings. During the week I track what I eat on the weight watchers web site.

I pretty much eat what I want but I control the portions. Instead of going to Taco Bell and ordering a #7 with 2 extra crunchy tacos and a burrito, I cut it down to the two tacos. I totaly cut soda out of my diet and now either drink water or unsweetened iced tea. (not that I drank alot of soda before, maybe 1-2 cans a day). The first week is the hardest, but after you get used to eating smaller portions it gets easier.

As for exercise I walk an hour maybe 2 times a week. I will start walking more as the weather gets nicer.

Im not on a diet... I am changing my eating habits and in the long run hoping to avoid diabetes (it runs in my family).

To all working on loosing weight, way to go and good luck.

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit

Genuine question that I do not understand: if someone consciously understands (I'm sure you did) that fast/junk food was a major contributor why continue with it? Is it an addiction or a matter of convenience?

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Congrats on the weight loss! I'll check your website periodically to see how it's coming along. How's THAT for motivation? ;)

I changed my eating habits 9 months ago in attempt to lose weight and control my insulin problems. So far, I'm 35 pounds down. It doesn't sound like a lot, I know, but I have a metabolic disorder so I simply consider *not gaining* an achievement. These days I'm losing about 1-2 pounds a month and I'll eventually get there (I've got another 25-30 pounds to lose). I already feel a lot better and plan to increase my exercise levels as soon as I move into my house next week.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Limit your intake of sugar, juices, alcoholic drinks with sugar, pop, junk food and bread. Eat a balanced diet of fruit, vegetables and protein (whatever that may be, fish, chicken, turkey or meat substitutes). Exercise 3 to 5 times a week. Taylor to your own tastes. Exercise more if you want to lose more fat. Weight train more if you want more muscle, which also burns fat. Commit and follow religously. Once you've changed your overall diet, when you remain active, you can eat some fun food once in a while, but keep in clean :)

Jason L.

Second Unit
Julian,

I feel your pain. I too, loved running. It is a great way to keep your weight in check.

Then I hurt my knee. I can't run more that 5 minutes without having to stop. I ballooned in weight.

The doctor says that "You'll just have to live with it." Sigh.

The problem is that there is virtually no exercise that doesn't use the knee. Swimming is not a plausible option.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Jason,

I have a Nordic-Trak skier that doesn't hurt my knee (my knee only swells with impact producing exercise) but the problem for me is that it is so boring. Even parked in front of the TV, I can only do a few minutes on it as I feel like I am not getting anywhere. I would never make it as a treadmill rat.

I'm trying to alternate days between the skier and lifting weights. The weights are a little more fun.

I really miss running with my dog.

I've lost 2 pounds this week. Only 46 more to go. :angry:

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Mike wrote:

For me, it was a matter of major convenience and I also really enjoyed the taste of fast food. So, it was kind of both but moreso for convenience than anything else. I'd rather have delicious, greasy food cooked and ready in less than 5 minutes than stand over the stove for an hour and cook. In other words, I loved fast food (and still do to some extent) although the desire for a great body is overwhelming my desire for fast food at this point. Now that I realize what fast food did to me, I'm giving it up until I finally have the body I want.

Now I prepare my own meals (except for one or two of them when I eat a Lean Cuisine Frozen Entree). I tend to switch between Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice (whenever I get bored with their selections).

Chris- I'm well aware of those principles (and many others involved) in losing weight. It's just taken me awhile to make the decision and internalize it (read: turn it into an ongoing burning desire) to give up fast food and junk food. I'm headed to 165 and I won't let anything stop me now. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread