Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hold the hankies: What about _Marcus Welby MD_?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted March 13 2004 - 06:01 AM

Though the good Doctor Welby seemed to treat/cure most of his patients with a stern but loving lecture, there's something endearing and even a little enduring about the best episodes from this 1969-75 ABC-TV series: a good ensemble cast (with good chemistry between Robert Young and James Brolin — and that woman who played Nurse Consuella), occasionally excellent scripts (though many stories lapsed into Soap Opera-ish nonsense), and compelling, relevant-to-the-times themes.

The series does not show up in syndication often, though it bears noting that Marcus Welby MD was, for about three years, the top-rated prime-time show in the Neilsens.

There may not be much demand for this series on DVD, and I cannot say for sure that I'd purchase season sets of it — but I might, and I'd like to have the option, at least.

Sometimes you just need to unwind with melodrama.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted March 31 2004 - 07:23 AM

So, I guess I am the only one who might be interested in seeing this series on DVD.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts

Posted March 31 2004 - 07:45 AM

I have a fond memory of these medical shows from the 70s. "Medical Center" and "Emergency" also come to mind. I forget, was it a Marcus Welby where Robert Reed gets a sex change operation? I most definitely would pick these shows up. They are classics from days gone by!

Carlos.
I'm a classic TV fan. Widescreen? What's that?

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,332 posts

Posted March 31 2004 - 08:14 AM

That's all they are to me now too. I loved Marcus Welby, Emergency etc. A good friend of mine, a member here, were just discussing Marcus Welby.

Memories? man, 29 Palms low-rent miltary housing, the Vietnam conflict, living on base as a young boy, my Big Wheel, my mother blasting the Airplane in our plush 1971 Duster and a FULL SERVICE gas station that handed out free Noah's Ark animals.

bladerunner-thumb-510x227-39115_zpse210a

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Deb Walsh

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted March 31 2004 - 08:29 AM

Gosh, I loved this show as a kid. Yeah, I'd buy it. It had a great theme (Mancini, maybe?), and a warmth that was very comforting each week. Of course, James Brolin had the weirdest hair. I loved Elena Verdugo as Consuela - she was really ahead of her time in a lot of ways.
Deb Walsh (debwalsh@aol.com)
http://www.debwalsh.com/press/

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   James_Garner

James_Garner

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted March 31 2004 - 08:44 AM

Quote:
was it a Marcus Welby where Robert Reed gets a sex change operation?

Nope. It was Medical Center. Welby wouldn't be that edgy. The good doctor would have thrown a hissy fit ;-)

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Chris:L

Chris:L

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted March 31 2004 - 12:16 PM

I never seen this show before. Sounds interesting. But then Perry Mason bores me.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Mark To

Mark To

Supporting Actor

• 574 posts

Posted March 31 2004 - 05:37 PM

I just posted 2 days ago asking about Welby, Ben Casey, Kildare and Medical Center and I got nary a reply. I would buy Welby but I'm not holding my breath. As a matter of fact I have a friend in Canada recording them for me now from a station that runs them complete. So I'm getting them regardless of what Universal does or doesn't do.