What's new

Curb Your Enthusiasm S2 - June 15th (1 Viewer)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I apologise if this has already been posted but I noticed IGN DVD has posted that Season 2 will be released June 15th with a suggested retail price of $39.98. No word on extras yet.

Great news that they are releasing this within approx 6 months of the first season. It is rarely screened over here so I got hooked on the DVD's earlier this year, is the second season on par with the first?

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Unfortunately, tvshowsondvd.com reported yesterday that complete specs have been released and there are NO extras anywhere on this set. This is bad news indeed. I will still be buying though, since this is one of the funniest shows on TV.

Oh, wait . . . it's not TV . . . it's HBO.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
The lack of supplements doesn't surprise me. Didn't they have to drag Larry David kicking and screaming into the studio to record the commentary on the first episode?

Still, I loved the second season(especially "The Doll"), and the price is reasonable so I'll definitely be picking it up.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
See, I don't really think the price is reasonable. $39.98 for 10 half hour episodes on two discs to me is really high. I suppose it's reasonable for HBO fare, considering what they charge for the 13 episode sets of The Sopranos, but still you can get an entire season (22-24 episodes of Friends, Cheers, Frasier or M*A*S*H for less than the price of the 10 episodes of "Curb Your Enthusiasm."

Still, I love the show and will be buying it on release date.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Regarding the price, nobody will actually have to pay $40 for this. If you look around you should be able to get this for $27-$28 at the most. Under $3 per episode.

I don't mind the lack of bonus material because the shows stand on their own.

However, I do wish that HBO would crank up the A/V quality on this. The first season transfers were not all that great (see the official HTF review thread for details and discussion of this).

One of my favorite all time CURB episodes (the Baptism) is in this season (along with 9 other winners :) )

Steve

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

Agreed, and keep in mind that HBO shows don't have commercial breaks. Curb Your Enthusiasm is a full 30 minutes long per episode, while network shows tend to last 22-24 minutes. More bang for the buck.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
Anyone know if Circuit City or Best Buy will be having a deal on CYE if you buy seasons 1 and 2 together?

Jari

Stunt Coordinator
If season 2 is anywhere near as funny as season 1 I might die by laughing too much. Last time with the first season I laughed so much that I accidentally dropped my drinks on carpet. Luckily it was only water... :)

Mark_Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Dont worry, its even funnier. Probably the funniest out of the four seasons. every episode is a classic.

This is a required viewing for everyone.

Real Name
Anthony
I agree with all the comments about the excellence of the series. But the PQ is pretty poor and worse than S1, imo.

I don't know what you call it but there seems to be a lot of horizontal lineage and moments of breakup along them. Is that aliasing, as stated in the review ? I always thought that was something a little different.

Anyway, whatever it's called, it's disappointing.

Dene

Agent
I think this is an unfortunate corollary of how the show is recorded, i.e. digibeta which has underwent a filmisation technique.

The BBC series The League of Gentlemen utilises this format also and has similar 'jaggies' evident on the R2 DVD -- in this case however, much less noticeable presumably on account of being 625 line PAL.

Agreed, on Curb it looks bad, esp. people in long shot are dreadfully ill-defined. However, I suspect that perhaps this is the best it could look given the original source material.

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
I just finished watching "the thong" and noticed a dramatic decrease in volume in sound for this episode in relation to the others on the disk.....has anyone else noticed this?

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

Yep, noticed this as well. Damn this show is hilarious! I can't wait to get Season 3. I've seen parts of Season 4 in first run, but it's great to see the earlier ones for the first time. I think every hardcore Seinfeld fan needs to see this series.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I bought seasons 1 and 2 this week and finished 1 today. Hilarious! I hear the 2nd season is even funnier, so I can't wait to see it, though I will wait a day or two to start watching it.

Why did they use the film look processing? It's very light and we can tell it is video, yet it increases the jaggies. It's not a huge distraction, but I noticed it nonetheless.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I bought seasons 1 and 2 this week and finished 1 today. Hilarious! I hear the 2nd season is even funnier, so I can't wait to see it, though I will wait a day or two to start watching it.

Why did they use the film look processing? It's very light and we can tell it is video, yet it increases the jaggies. It's not a huge distraction, but I noticed it nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks