-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Star Trek: TMP dvd cover art

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,475 posts

Posted November 04 2001 - 03:27 AM

Paramount has once again altered the artwork for a dvd cover. This time it's "Star Trek: TMP". At first glance, it looks identical to the original art. Something about it was bugging me, so I compared it to my framed original one-sheet poster. The original PAINTINGS of the three characters' faces have been replaced with PHOTOGRAPHS of the actors. Even the image of the Enterprise has been altered. While seemingly not a major change, why did they bother? It reminds me of the "Star Wars: Ep. 1" dvd that Fox changed the painting of the characters to photos. Do the studios feel that consumers must see a PHOTO of the actors in order to recognize the product? It's such a shame to lose the original artwork. Most of the pre-1990's films had such beautiful artwork, so it's sad to see so many studios changing them for dvd.

#2 of 6 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,122 posts

Posted November 04 2001 - 04:07 AM

The artist that did those poster illustrations is very good. I like his technique using chaulk. I have the same one sheet you refer to. I agree, it's a cool to see art from that era.

But my take on it is possibly a subtle way to add that extra little umph to the release. If the film has been given that new coat of varnish, why not the art for the cover.

Nelson

#3 of 6 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,211 posts

Posted November 04 2001 - 04:19 AM

The original was painted by Bob Peak , one of the greatest illustrators of for movie posters.

The new DVD cover is based on Peaks design, but utilizes photos that he used as reference only. DVDFile had a whole article on the new poster design, but I can't find it.

Neil

------------------

"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

#4 of 6 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,253 posts

Posted November 04 2001 - 04:41 AM

Keep in mind this isn't the original movie. It's a special edition, director's cut - given the changes that have been made, I think it's understandable to make some minor chages to the artwork.

However, I think the art work looks great and am looking forward to seeing this Tuesday.

#5 of 6 Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux

Supporting Actor

• 635 posts

Posted November 04 2001 - 05:19 AM

My understanding was that the poster art was updated to reflect the finishing touches that had been put on the film itself. Apparently, this is "what they wanted" for a poster all along. I'm sure I'm wrong, though.

------------------

My DVDs

#6 of 6 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,122 posts

Posted November 05 2001 - 07:55 AM

Neil-

Thanks for the link to Bob Peak's site. I've admired his work but I hadn't realized he does more then movie posters.

Too bad he's passed away.

Nelson