What's new

Anyone know why the X-FILES DVD boxsets are soo expensive? (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Tom De Rosa

Stunt Coordinator
As someone who has purchased Seasons 1-5 and am glad they are being released, I want to know what justifies a $90 difference between these titles?

Why is Fox gouging the X-Files fans?

Just a rant, maybe, but it feels like we're getting hosed.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Different contracts with the talent, perhaps? Say Duchovny/Anderson/Carter get 20% of video rights, but Gellar/Whedon/etc. only get 5%.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I wish they'd drop the price of the X-Files sets myself, especially since later seasons have fewer episodes. I guess they must figure that X-Files is worth a premium price or maybe there is some sort of contract in place that keeps the price high? I have also noticed that the DTS version of the X-Files movie is still $25 at local Best Buy locations while several of the other Fox DTS reissues have already dropped to $15. I'd really like to replace my original DVD with the newer one but I just know as soon as I buy the DTS version, it'll drop to $15 (which is what happened to me with both Predator and The Siege).

Paul-Gunther

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty sure it's because of contracts with the people involved. I remember Duchovny taking Fox to court to get more money out of syndication/video, for one.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Interesting! Is this way the Star Trek Next Generation sets are high as well? Or is it because they know X-Files fans and Star Trek fans will pay that much for the sets, whereas Buffy fans may not??

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
I have a sneaking suspicion that this is the case. Of course, there's nothing wrong with that. Charge what the market will bear...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Star Trek is a huge franchise, and yes, I'm sure Stewart/Frakes et al are getting a good size chunk too. TNG is supposed to be around $99, but the lack of SRP has resulted in higher prices

X-Files is almost certainly a result of several things

A-Huge bucks for Duchovony/Anderson/Carter
B-It was the first TV set, and they priced it with the numbers they thought they would sell. Now it's a matter of consistancy and keeping the talent happy because they want to make another movie.

I think if X-Files were to start being released today, it would be $99.99

Look at Friends, $79.95/season. Why? Huge bucks for the talent. The fact that Buffy until recently has been quite a small show budget wise, is a telltale sign as to why it's cheap.

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
I agree, I think its the stars/creator of X-Files that are increasing the price.

Buffy isn't as popular, nor does it have as big of a following.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
All I know is, Fox better be careful pricing those later seasons of The X-Files too high. I've already heard a lot of people talking about how they'll buy up through season so-and-so but after that, they don't care.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Season 7 for me :). I'm on the home stretch for the X-files.

I'm just glad everything isn't priced like the X-files. For the most part, it doesn't have an equal. You can blame the TNG pricing on retailers, and Paramount's expectation that they'd play nice with no MAP or MSRP.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I may already be done with the X-Files myself.

I know I said in the past I intended to collect them all. The missus may still want them all.

But I still haven't finished watching Season 2! And I've had it since two Christmases ago, or whenever it first shipped (can't think of it right now).

XF just hasn't had the sense of "gotta watch it now" that other series have had. And I have so many of them. I'd much rather watch Star Trek or Simpsons or Twin Peaks.

I expect I'll come back around to it. If I skip buying seasons 6 ->, then I'll get them after I feel back in an XF mood...assuming the boxes are still in print.

A lower price would DEFINATELY make me finish what I started, though. But I assume Fox's intentions are to put out all seven seasons, and then think about price drops.

Of course, they could put out S6 for an SRP of $100, and drop the price of the old sets accordingly. IF the deal with the talent allows for it. If not...oh, well. I guess the talent prefers nothing over less-than-what-they-got-from-me-before.

Especially since the talent's efforts went downhill as time went on. Very few X-F fans will argue that. Some episodes still shown like diamonds, but most started stinking in the later seasons.

Chris M

Second Unit
As for Paramount selling ST:TNG for those prices, Paramount has ALWAYS been overpriced... while MGM is selling fully loaded DVDs of movies at $15 a pop, Paramount is releasing barebones movies at $30 a pop.

However, they are in line with Fox's original X-Files pricing.

Chris.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think I'm done with the X-Files as of Season 5, slap on the X-Files: Fight The Future DVD at the end, and it's just about enough for me.

It's still a bit distressing that there's a 2x+ price differential in the MSRP between the season sets of X-Files and

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Because FOX knows they can get away with it. If the sets sat on the shelf at the higher price, while the BUFFY sets sold at the lower price, they'd get the message. Vote by not buying the X-FILES sets.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

Same here. The movie just seems like a nice endpoint and now I've reached it so I'm done with X-Files. With Buffy, I've already decided to stick with it up through the fifth season and then stop, since I wasn't a fan of the sixth season. I'm not sure about Simpsons yet. I lost track of exactly when I stopped liking that show so I'll just go one season at a time and stop once I'm no longer enjoying myself :)

todd stone

Screenwriter
No matter where I go, I see them for !45 and it doesn't look like they will be cheaper anytime soon....

Joshua Lane

Second Unit
Perhaps you should do a search on the topic first. It's come up MANY times and recently Fox announced that they are lowering the SRP of the sets to $99.98.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Most people believe it's the fact that the X-files sets were literally some of the first TV season boxsets ever to come out on DVD so Fox was unsure on how to price them. So they came out with a price that seemed reasonable at the time but as more and more TV boxsets came out and the cheaper they got the more the X-files sets seemed overpriced. Some people also believe that stars Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny and showrunner Chris Carter got much higher than average residuals off the show hence the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks