Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SA-CD prices that are way too high

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 05:06 AM

I got a mailer from from Music Direct yesterday that got me inspired. They have the two Art Of Noise SA-CD's for $39.99, ugh! You can get them each directly from ZTT Records for 19 Pounds Sterling (U.K.) with free shipping which is stille $34.22, ugh! The dollar has recently gone down against the Pound. Stille, 19 Pounds is too high a price for U.K. residents or anybody else for that matter, ugh! Posted Image How can a format succeed with so much of the software so hideously priced...
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   KrisM

KrisM

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 05:30 AM

I hear ya Rachael. Try importing into Canada. There are alot of SACDs I'd like to check out that aren't available here and are too expensive(for me) to bring in after taxes, duty, shipping and exchange. I'd love get some of the CCR and Sonny Rollins SACDs, but for the price of one Rollins SACD, I can get three of the K2 remastered CDs. I did find the John Lee Hooker SACD here today. I never thought it would be available here at a retail store. Regards KrisM

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 05:37 AM

Don't even get me started on the Japanese SACDs. Miles Davis's 2nd Quintet hybrids at like $35 a pop! F___ that!

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 02:34 PM

MoFi CD prices are too high!!!

You pay big dollar for DSOTM and surprise it sucks compared to the Super Audio.

Redbook CD prices are too high!!!

When was the last time I found more than 3 songs on the same CD worth a flip? Okay the new Van Morrison is consistent...Posted Image

Posted Image

Seriously, I was at the Atlanta Auto Show looking at the $350K Maybach 57 (I like to dream) and I asked the sales guy who is buying these? He said very wealthy people like hip-hop artists. Hmmmm, maybe we found out why some music is so expensive. Posted Image
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   charles white

charles white

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 02:46 PM

I'm not a patient person but I'll wait them(the retailers) out. They got to go sale sometime in the future. Fry's recently had their selection of SACDs on sale for $14.99. Not a great selection mind you but it did put a minor dent into my credit card account.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 02:57 PM

Ha hah. For those not playing along, these CDs are out of print, so at least there's a reason for it.:P) But, now that you mention it, the MoFi SACDs are freakin' $30!! WTF'nF is that all about?! And don't even get me started on Analogue Productions. And these aren't even multi-channel. Ugh. Yes, I buy them, but only the ones I really really want. Unfortunately, they are musically the best SACDs out there. But had they been reasonably priced, I probably would have purchased the entire catalog by now, including artists who I've never heard but would've been willing to buy blind. But not at these prices. And speaking of MoFi, Lee, plans are in motion for yours truly to acquire his very own copy of Blues in Orbit, so you're bragging rights of owning that one will soon lose its power over me. Mu-wa-ha-ha!

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Henry Lambert

Henry Lambert

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 09:03 PM

Here in this area of Canada SACD's cost 2 to 2.5 times that of the the CD counterpart + 15% local sales tax. IMHO this makes the purchase of the Hi Rez formats a joke. Almost forgot shipping costs. I have never found a music store in this Province , Newfoundland, that carried either SACD or DVD-A.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Patrick Hannon

Patrick Hannon

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted March 13 2004 - 01:47 AM

Henry: You are correct about the prices for the hi-rez discs here in Newfoundland, they all seem to be at list price with only a few exceptions. If you look carefully in the music spots here in St. John's there are SA-CD's becomming available, the newer single inventory discs such as Steely Dan - Gaucho, Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde and Elton John - Goodbye Yellowbrick Road. These discs are just mixed with the regulad CD's, so they can easily be missed. I picked up a copy of George Harrison - Live In Japan at HMV yesterday. I usually order my SA-CD's from HMV and get them in a couple of weeks on average. There are some DVD-A's available at the local Future Shop and a couple at HMV (they seem to get in extra copies of the ones I order). I usually order the DVD-A discs from HMV and they usually arrive within a week, but they are all at list price, usually $28 - $34Can for DVD-A and $30 - $50Can for SACD. The Future Shop prices are lower, in stock DVD (only a few titles) for $19Can and in stock SA-CD lower than the list price. Hard to get, but they do sound great.... P. E. Hannon

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted March 13 2004 - 01:31 PM

As good as the Mo-Fi's sound, the Audio Fidelity SA-CD's sound as good or better for $12.99-$15.99, all hail Hoffman!Posted Image What's that suggest??? Damn, I'm glad I'm not a music collector living a deprived life in Kanada!
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted March 15 2004 - 12:48 AM

I'm glad you found a copy. This is a very good performance and recording. Posted Image
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users