What's new

SA-CD prices that are way too high (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I got a mailer from from Music Direct yesterday that got me inspired. They have the two Art Of Noise SA-CD's for $39.99, ugh! You can get them each directly from ZTT Records for 19 Pounds Sterling (U.K.) with free shipping which is stille $34.22, ugh! The dollar has recently gone down against the Pound. Stille, 19 Pounds is too high a price for U.K. residents or anybody else for that matter, ugh! :frowning: How can a format succeed with so much of the software so hideously priced...

KrisM

Second Unit
I hear ya Rachael. Try importing into Canada. There are alot of SACDs I'd like to check out that aren't available here and are too expensive(for me) to bring in after taxes, duty, shipping and exchange. I'd love get some of the CCR and Sonny Rollins SACDs, but for the price of one Rollins SACD, I can get three of the K2 remastered CDs.
I did find the John Lee Hooker SACD here today. I never thought it would be available here at a retail store.

Regards
KrisM

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Don't even get me started on the Japanese SACDs. Miles Davis's 2nd Quintet hybrids at like $35 a pop! F___ that!

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
MoFi CD prices are too high!!!

You pay big dollar for DSOTM and surprise it sucks compared to the Super Audio.

Redbook CD prices are too high!!!

When was the last time I found more than 3 songs on the same CD worth a flip? Okay the new Van Morrison is consistent...:)

;)

Seriously, I was at the Atlanta Auto Show looking at the $350K Maybach 57 (I like to dream) and I asked the sales guy who is buying these? He said very wealthy people like hip-hop artists. Hmmmm, maybe we found out why some music is so expensive. :)

cwhite

Second Unit
I'm not a patient person but I'll wait them(the retailers) out. They got to go sale sometime in the future. Fry's recently had their selection of SACDs on sale for $14.99. Not a great selection mind you but it did put a minor dent into my credit card account.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

Ha hah. For those not playing along, these CDs are out of print, so at least there's a reason for it.:p)

But, now that you mention it, the MoFi SACDs are freakin' $30!! WTF'nF is that all about?! And don't even get me started on Analogue Productions. And these aren't even multi-channel. Ugh.

Yes, I buy them, but only the ones I really really want. Unfortunately, they are musically the best SACDs out there. But had they been reasonably priced, I probably would have purchased the entire catalog by now, including artists who I've never heard but would've been willing to buy blind. But not at these prices.

And speaking of MoFi, Lee, plans are in motion for yours truly to acquire his very own copy of Blues in Orbit, so you're bragging rights of owning that one will soon lose its power over me. Mu-wa-ha-ha!

Here in this area of Canada SACD's cost 2 to 2.5 times that of the the CD counterpart + 15% local sales tax. IMHO this makes the purchase of the Hi Rez formats a joke.
Almost forgot shipping costs. I have never found a music store in this Province , Newfoundland, that carried either SACD or DVD-A.

Real Name
Patrick E Hannon
Henry:
You are correct about the prices for the hi-rez discs here in Newfoundland, they all seem to be at list price with only a few exceptions. If you look carefully in the music spots here in St. John's there are SA-CD's becomming available, the newer single inventory discs such as Steely Dan - Gaucho, Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde and Elton John - Goodbye Yellowbrick Road. These discs are just mixed with the regulad CD's, so they can easily be missed. I picked up a copy of George Harrison - Live In Japan at HMV yesterday. I usually order my SA-CD's from HMV and get them in a couple of weeks on average. There are some DVD-A's available at the local Future Shop and a couple at HMV (they seem to get in extra copies of the ones I order). I usually order the DVD-A discs from HMV and they usually arrive within a week, but they are all at list price, usually $28 - $34Can for DVD-A and $30 - $50Can for SACD. The Future Shop prices are lower, in stock DVD (only a few titles) for $19Can and in stock SA-CD lower than the list price. Hard to get, but they do sound great....

P. E. Hannon

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
As good as the Mo-Fi's sound, the Audio Fidelity SA-CD's sound as good or better for $12.99-$15.99, all hail Hoffman!:emoji_thumbsup: What's that suggest??? Damn, I'm glad I'm not a music collector living a deprived life in Kanada!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks