What's new

The Odd Couple and Get Smart on DVD...When? (1 Viewer)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
I was wondering if anyone knows when The Odd Couple, or Get Smart will finally make their way to DVD. Thanks.

Carlos.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Both are great shows that I would love to get all 5 seasons of. Odd Couple is Paramount and they have such a huge library of titles that I don't know how long it would be before they got to this one, if they ever do. I know they tried it on VHS with Columbia House and they never got past the initial 10 tapes. It is a classic show, much funnier than a lot of things that have come out already. Get Smart was produced by David Susskind's Talent Associates company. Paramount owns the syndication rights through a series of mergers but I don't know about home video rights. It has never been released so it could be they don't own it or don't even know if they do or not. Just because a syndicator has syndication rights does not mean they have rights for anything else. Susskind is deceased so his heirs may own the show although his company was sold in the late 70s. It could be that no one knows where the actual rights lie on this one and that is what is preventing it from coming out. I think it would definitely be a top seller.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Mark- Interesting breakdown of the ownership issue on Get Smart. For other information and a fun website to visit, go to www.wouldyoubelieve.com

There is a FAQ there that addresses the Get Smart DVD release based on what the site owner knows. Plus some cool photos of a recent cast reunion he pulled off for the fans of the show that frequent his site.

A DVD of Get Smart would be very cool, though it will likely be some time before it ever comes out. It's a sad time now for Don Adams who just lost his daugther Cecily Adams (Known to trek fans as Ishka or Moogie on DS9) to lung cancer. Sincere condolences to the families.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm dying for the entire run of THE ODD COUPLE. It's one of Paramount's most popular TV shows and I've got to believe we'll see it eventually.

Rob Keil

Agent
I've recorded all the Odd Couple episodes off TV but would definitely buy the entire run of DVD season sets.

I too am surprised that this hasn't been even rumored for release yet, when it is so clearly a classic. Not to mention that it has always been extremely popular in syndication worldwide. It is also great that both stars are alive and well and could be involved in commentaries and extras.

I hope someone from the studios hears our plea.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Rob -- sadly, there are reports that Tony Randall is not doing very well these days. :frowning:

I agree that THE ODD COUPLE is a classic, and I'm totally baffled as to why the show hasn't already been issued. But it's GOT to come out sometime... it's a natural.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

True Joe. I read on one of the news websites that he's been hospitalized for quite awhile with pneumonia. I hope that he bounces back. Although a dangerous illness, an elderly person can bounce back from this illness if they are good health otherwise (as I believe Mr. Randall has been) and if they get treated properly.

Sadly, the star of the other series mentioned in this thread's header (Get Smart), is in much worse shape. From what his son-in-law has posted elsewhere on the 'net, I would not be surprised if he passes in the near future. I was (and still am) a huge fan of his.

I would definitely buy "Get Smart" (all 5 seasons). I agree with Carlos that "Odd Couple" is deserving of a release also. Both are very funny shows.

Steve

SteveKNJ

Stunt Coordinator
I think a main reason why THe Odd Couple hasn't been released is that Garry Marshall is the original producer and his shows seem to be VERRRY slow being release (Happy Days, and L&S are JUST NOW being released)!! I had heard a rumor that Garry didn't want to release these shows.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Not that this isn't the best place on the net for news and info, but on DVDfanatic.com someone has posted that there's a rumor Mel Brooks is working on Get Smart DVDs. Has anyone heard anything about this? Anyone have an email contact for Mel Brooks' organization that might confirm?

Apologies if this is making a big deal out of nothing, but I want Get Smart on DVD!

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
So do I! A few years ago, Nick at Night aired a 47 hour Get Smart marathon (47 because of daylight savings). I managed to tape 46 1/2 hours. I bought 8 VHS tapes. I woke up in the middle of the night to swap tapes. I went home on lunchbreaks to change tapes. I went home between classes to change tapes. It was rough, I tell ya'.:)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

As much as I want this show on DVD (and I ask Par about it every time I talk to them), I don't see anything here to get worked up about. Sorry.

Clinton C

Stunt Coordinator
Get Smart is by far my most wanted DVD collection...It's a crying shame this isn't looking good for a release

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Has Paramount even released A TV show on DVD yet? It seems to me that Get Smart, The Odd Couple, The Brady Bunch, Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy and alot more of their shows have yet to be released. I can't think of any show they have released yet.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

Hmmm.. Paramount...

Star Trek
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Star Trek: Voyager
Cheers
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
Frasier
The Honeymooners

Also:
PBS programming like American Experience
Peanuts TV specials

Coming soon:
Have Gun, Will Travel
CSI: Miami
Survivor

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Interesting. Outside of Star Trek, not much on that list and not many comedies at all. If not for the Honeymooners, no old (pre-80s) comedies :frowning:

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I forgot that Paramount released South Park season 3 a few months back. Also, they have released some of the children's programming from Nickelodean.

It should also be noted that, with Paramount's agressive release schedule of the Trek series, they haven't had a spot on the schedule for much other TV product... 15 season sets in the last 28 months, and another on the way later this month - just for Trek. That's a lot of TV product - though unfortunate for people who are not fans of the franchise.

Also, rumors have been flying about The Andy Griffith Show and Happy Days.

I would not be surprised to see Mission: Impossible on the schedule in the future.

Paramount is testing the waters with the Gunsmoke movies, so the series could be in the works.

If HG,WT sells, and the Gunsmoke movies do well, I have to believe that Paramount will open up more of its old library of TV product.

Note, however, that this is just conjecture. I have no inside info.

-Scott

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Get Smart was one of the funniest shows and I will definitely be picking this one up when it is released. I remember that I would not allow anyone to disturb me while it was on. I was such a freak about my shows back then.

My top two shows when I was a kid were Get Smart and Wild Wild West. If you even tried to talk to me during those I would bite your head off.

I wasn't aware of Don Adams daughter dying. That is awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks