-

Photo
- - - - -

Chris Tucker May Leave Hollywood After Filming "Rush Hour 3" To Fight AIDS In Africa

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 12:42 AM

http://www.southernd..../401af08ede544

http://www.nationale....stanceid=60430

I've enjoyed him in Dead Presidents, Money Talks, The Fifth Element and the two Rush Hour movies, so it would be sad to see him go. Better to quit while you're ahead, though. I wish him the best, and hope he makes the most out of his fame and fortune to help battle AIDS.

#2 of 17 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 05:15 AM

And of course, there are those who will say, "Good riddance". Posted Image

I'm not one of those. I think he's done a good job limiting himself to roles that work best for him, and not overexposing himself.

Course, I question the validity of this story, since the sources seem to be a student newspaper, and the National Enquirer. If it is true, then more power to him. It is nice to have the money to be able to chuck it all for charity work.

Jason

#3 of 17 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,977 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted March 12 2004 - 06:13 AM

Well, he was a $20M actor (deservedly so...he always would bring people to the theater). And he didn't take most of the roles (and bags of money) offered to him. He seems to have been focusing on Africa a lot of the past few years, so good for him.

A shame for the filmgoer, as I do think he's a funny guy, and he's made every movie he's been in more enjoyable. Kudos to him...I bet he's fairly serious about it.

Take care,
Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#4 of 17 Pete-D

Pete-D

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 07:36 AM

He'll be back... they all come crawling back Posted Image

Seriously though, it's not like he couldn't go back to Africa, work for 3-4 months in Hollywood, and collect a $20 million dollar cheque.

Infact, that'd probably help the AIDS cause in Africa moreso if he were willing to use the money (or a good chunk of it) from future movies he makes to fund research/awareness.

His best role hands down was in Friday IMO.

#5 of 17 Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,477 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted March 12 2004 - 07:40 AM

I suppose he may be missed. This does answer the question of his whereabouts in the last 3 years though.

My question is how would he fight AIDS? He's a comedic actor. Will he spend the time making people laugh?
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#6 of 17 Pete-D

Pete-D

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 08:02 AM

Yeah, you know if I were afflicted with AIDS in Africa, I'd probably rather see Chris Tucker continue to work in Hollywood and then cash those $20 million cheques for research/drugs rather than having him around as a high profile volunteer.

#7 of 17 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 08:16 AM

Quote:
I question the validity of this story, since the sources seem to be a student newspaper, and the National Enquirer.
The student newspaper credits The Associated Press for the article.

#8 of 17 william-scooter

william-scooter

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 09:06 AM

I think I gotta go with Pete-D's take. If he wanna help write a check for research. What is he gonna do in Africa to fight Aids as admirable as it might be. He may be trying the serious cause approach to garner serious roles. Best of luck to him whatever contribution he plans.

#9 of 17 streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,391 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 08:38 PM

So his next movie is Rush Hour 3?

What was his last movie? Rush Hour 2, right? And what was the movie he made before that? Rush Hour?

I agree with Pete-D as well. I admire Tucker's dedication, but he can be more effective if he spends some of his time in Hollywood.
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#10 of 17 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,977 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted March 12 2004 - 11:28 PM

Maybe Tucker thinks he can more helpful as a spokesman and being present. Good for him for DOING something instead of simply writing a few checks.

Take care,
Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#11 of 17 Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted March 13 2004 - 12:54 AM

In our immunology class, we were shown three comic strips depicting the war against the HIV virus. The first two were darkly comic (one was talking about only getting a stamp in honor of the dead victims).

The third one nearly put tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat. It showed a kid laying on its side, and I'll never forget those eyes. No matter how you look at it, HIV is a serious problem, and it's very unfortunate that you can't even implement the simplest solution (which is not abstinence btw).

Posted Image to Chris Tucker. I like him as a comedian and comedic actor, and I'm starting to like him as a humanitarian. You guys remember when he won the MTV award (for something) and talked about the problems in Africa in his acceptance speech?

#12 of 17 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted March 13 2004 - 03:16 AM

I do. I must admit it sounded a bit like posturing to me. It was very obvious that he was sincere about it, it was just not the right forum. He barely acknowledged the award. It put a serious damper on everyone's mood and was quickly forgotten.

I will also side with Pete, with the reservation that Mr. Tucker probably knows far more about AIDS in Africa than any of us, and is in a better position to judge the best way to help. Still, from where I stand, I can't see it, and would like to know more.

--
H

#13 of 17 Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted March 13 2004 - 10:00 AM

Prior to this, I didn't know anything about Tucker beyond his movies. My opinion of him just shot up. A lot.

Although I am still a little torqued about him using swear words in a Jackie Chan movie. Some things you just dont do! Posted Image
“It’s great to be known, but it’s even better to be known as strange.” —Takeshi Kaga

#14 of 17 Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter

• 1,494 posts

Posted March 13 2004 - 03:14 PM

Well, I've seen Jackie swear in a Jackie Chan movie also, so it's not entirely his own fault. Posted Image

#15 of 17 Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted March 14 2004 - 06:19 PM

Rush Hour 2 was crap because IMHO they let Chris Tucker take center stage, and run off at the mouth. He's annoying as all get out. I can only take him in small doses. Plus, it didn't help that the story just plain sucked.

Hopefully RH 3 will be vastly superior.

On another note, I think this is a very courageous move on his part and I wish him the best.

Dan

#16 of 17 Sean*O

Sean*O

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted March 14 2004 - 08:31 PM

I guess Jackie really is going to "Bitch-Slap him back to Africa" in RH3.

:P)

#17 of 17 BertFalasco

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor

• 850 posts

Posted March 15 2004 - 06:03 AM

I read a long time ago he wasn't in Next Friday because they didn't give him the amount of money he asked for, and so they had to crush his character off with some lame blanket.