Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Wonderfalls 1.01 - Wax Lion **Pilot - Friday 3/12/04**

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
102 replies to this topic

#1 of 103 OFFLINE   Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted March 11 2004 - 01:51 PM

What does everyone else think about this new show? It's being called the best new show of the season by multiple critics and reviewers. From what I've seen in ads it looks kind of corny (but FOX is horrible at marketing this stuff) but what I read about it says it's supposed to be really good.

The actul show is about a girl who runs a souvenier stand in niagra falls who experiences a mental breakdown. After recovering the numerous items in her souvenier stand start to talk to her and give her assignments. The assignments are meant to help her get other people get back on track, while at the same time helping her find direction in her own life.

I think it sounds like an interesting premise, and no, the show isn't a rip-off of Joan of Arcadia, it was actually in production long before JOA, but is only now beginning to air.

Considering FOX's track record with these things... and the quirky nature of the show I don't see it lasting a long time, but we'll see... I'll definitely be tuning in. Tim Minear, an ANGEL & FIREFLY veteran is heavily involved, and the buzz is good. What else can you ask for?

Friday 8:00 pm on FOX.

#2 of 103 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,400 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 11 2004 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Robert, though I just wanted to point out the time is 9:00 pm standard on Fox. The central time folks probably don't see why I care, but I nearly had a heart attack reading 8:00, since that would have put it up against a new episode of the very similiar concept "Joan of Arcadia" which is already one of my favorite shows this season. Hopefully "Wonderfalls" can turn it into a wonderful double-bill for Fridays.

#3 of 103 OFFLINE   Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted March 11 2004 - 02:40 PM

Good job bringing that to everyone's attention. I believe FOX chose the timeslot right after JOA on purpose. Posted Image

http://www.fox.com/w...music_video.htm

I thought I'd add this quickly. It's a very humorous music video for the show, using what I guess will be the theme music. It's a catchy song, and the clips from the show showing the animals are just cute as hell.... Posted Image

Anyone else love that donkey stuffed animal? It's really cute....

#4 of 103 OFFLINE   NeilO

NeilO

Screenwriter

• 2,638 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 01:12 AM

The Washington Post gave it a very good review this morning:

http://www.washingto....2004Mar11.html

Neil

#5 of 103 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 01:38 AM

The Dallas Morning News had a very positive review this morning. Our TV reviewer called it the best show (of its type) since Northern Exposure hit the screen.

I added a season pass for my Tivo.
¡Time is not my master!

#6 of 103 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 03:56 AM

I've heard good things too and am recording it.
My thoughts are that people wont tune in because it's on Friday which is ashame.
Why put such a critically acclaimed show on Friday Nights.? X-files was lucky but how many other shows are.
Maybe it will get the same Joan of Arcadia audience which I am hoping.

#7 of 103 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 04:08 AM

Quote:
Why put such a critically acclaimed show on Friday Nights.?
It's gotta go somewhere, and something's gotta go on Friday nights. There ain't an easy timeslot on the schedule.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#8 of 103 OFFLINE   Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 04:57 AM

Yeah, but why shows with high production values? You think it would be more profitable to put a cheap reality show on Friday nights. Something that would pull in a small but respectable audience.

#9 of 103 OFFLINE   Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter

• 1,413 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 06:18 AM

Quote:
It's a catchy song

...by Andy Partridge, no less. Andy's theme and the presence of Tim Minear are enough to convince me to tune it.

#10 of 103 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 06:44 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but why shows with high production values? You think it would be more profitable to put a cheap reality show on Friday nights. Something that would pull in a small but respectable audience.
That still leaves the question of where to put Wonderfalls, though. The only other open spots on Fox's schedule appear to be Thursday, where people would scream about it getting hammered by CBS and NBC, or Monday (and I'm not sure why it's not on after Cracking Up on Monday, to be honest).

Still, I think the whole idea that a show can't survive on Friday is something of a myth. Joan Of Arcadia, which seems similar to Wonderfalls, has thrived there, ABC and WB have had success with comedies, and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit actually became a hit there after floundering on Mondays.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#11 of 103 OFFLINE   Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor

• 680 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 09:16 AM

Premise sounds mildy intriguing though I worry it might get a bit too "cutesy". Still, I'll give anything Tim Minnear is associated with a chance.
Jeff Kohn
http://home.houston.rr.com/jeffkohn
My DVD Profiler Collection

#12 of 103 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 01:25 PM

So far, I like Jaye's edge, she makes me laugh. Gotta like a gal with a decent vocabulary.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#13 of 103 OFFLINE   Joshua_W

Joshua_W

Second Unit

• 477 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 01:40 PM

Is it just me, or does the series sound A LOT like "Joan of Arcadia," and to a lesser extent, "Tru Calling?"

Must be this year's flavor: Attractive, smart young women who receive supernatural visions of strangers in need of assistance.

#14 of 103 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 01:42 PM

It's very amusing. I am finding that I'm LOL a lot while watching this show. Love the reaction to peanuts by the EPS dude.

Oh gawd, I about lost it during the cut from the EPS dude's sponge bath to the neon candle light.

Even though Jaye's pushed to help people, you can see how she's helping herself after years of pushing people away from her and being mean and acerbic as a self-defense mechanism.

#15 of 103 OFFLINE   Travis_S

Travis_S

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Missouri

Posted March 12 2004 - 02:03 PM

That was hilarious. It was better than I thought it would be going in. I hope this lasts.

#16 of 103 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 02:06 PM

I busted a gut when Jaye offered EPS dude the pen to write down what he was trying to say, and he recoiled in mortal fear.

There's such a whimsical quality to the tone of this 'sode. Posted Image

#17 of 103 OFFLINE   Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 02:07 PM

Quote:
Is it just me, or does the series sound A LOT like "Joan of Arcadia," and to a lesser extent, "Tru Calling?"

Actually, the show was in production before Joan of Arcadia and Tru Calling started, the only difference is that this one got pushed back as a midseason replacement. Have to say, I understand why, but I don't like it... I think this is easily one of the best pilots I've seen in a long time. This is a series that shows great promise and looks to be extremely wonderful.

I like that she's not just a do-gooder, and that whatever this higher power is... it's trying to help her and other people. For example, the good deed not only led her to help the EPS guy find someone, but also got her very uptight sister to hook up with his ex-wife, and possibly loosen up. All of this happened, and in the end, caused Jaye and her sister to get a little closer.

I think the dialogue is fast, witty, and fits. The animals are funny too.

After seeing how great the show really is... I have a feeling that after the 7 weeks are up, we'll be seeing the end of it. Hopefully we can hope for a second season of Playing It Straight! Posted Image

I still can't believe she stole the monkey!

Here's looking forward to next week.

"Grease!?"
"Single White Female!!!"

**** (****)Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#18 of 103 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,400 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 12 2004 - 02:15 PM

What happens when you put Tim Minear, Todd Holland, and the Deep Space Nine guy together on a show? Comic freakin' genius. I was beginning to doubt my read on "Cracking Up" after coming across really negative about it. "Wonder Falls" reminded me why my standards are so high.

One part Daria, two parts Joan of Arcadia, with a dash of Buffy and Malcolm in the Middle thrown in for good measure. I could hear my mother's laugh through the floor boards after the "cat litter/space heater" line. I loved it too.

#19 of 103 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 02:44 PM

It's so funny when Jaye tries to help people and gets whacked by them, or escalates a situation for the worse. Loved it when her sister and the ex-wife of the EPS dude hooked up.

#20 of 103 OFFLINE   Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 03:09 PM

Jaye reminds me too much of George from Dead Like Me. I love Dead Like Me and this just didn't fit with me but the talking objects is cool.

By the way who is Tim Minear people are talking about?

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow