What's new

Best hdtv for around $1500???? (1 Viewer)

Steven Larson

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, now I am getting more confused the more I research tv's.

I thought the Panasonic 47" projection tv was going to be the right one, then I had some advice in another thread to look at the 53" Panasonic, which does sound good, and it is on sale for just above $1500 at Circuit City this week.

Then I start to do more reading, and consumer reports of all places rated the 53 inch Panasonic pretty low, giving it good HD signal picture, but poor antenna/cable picture quality. They rated the Toshiba as the best projection tv.

Then of course I have friends recommending Sony....

Going to the store doesn't help a whole lot as it is tough to get a good idea of the picture quality....

So those of you who have hdtv's, what is going to my best bang for the buck for around $1500?

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
I really like my Sony 46wt510 for around $1500 , after comparing it to a friends JVC 48" , i really have come to appreciate how good the Sony is.

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Well I have the 53" Panasonic. The picture out of the box was pretty bad. But I have had it for about a month now and it seems that after I have calibrated it and let it break in, the picture has only got better and still seems to be getting better by the week. I only have Standard cable, and I have no complaints. The picture is a little fuzzy compared to my direct vew I had, but I like the overall picture. It just depends on what channel I watch if it is decent or not. DVD is awsome I might add, even with my old interlaced DVD player. There are some nicer sets out there, but if bang for your buck is a concern the pannys are something to look at. I would not put consumer reports on a pedestal, because all reviews I think are always somewhat subjective. But go with what you think looks the best. I actually bought the panny on the specs and how good everyone on this forum recommended it as a bang for your buck type deal. And I could not be happier. Everyone has a opinion on some tv, so go with what you feel looks best to you if you are buying in a b&m store. Just remember, the stores put these tv's in torch mode to try and make them as bright as they can to make them look better. It will more than likely look different in your setting at home.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
well, i have looked at the sony 1500-2200 range at best buy, and i must say, i thought that it had a beautiful picture quality to it. I thought it much better than the others. AND, that's with a split connection, bla,bla,bla. Circuit City is much better at displaying a televisions truer quality than say best buy.

I am going to buy this one

KP57WV600

i would buy it from this company(www.onecall.com), they are an authorized dealer and there prices are going to save you a lot of money from a store price at say(circuit city(save 700 bucks on same tv!)

I was going to get the DLP/or LCD, but it is just SOO expensive, and i think that the one mentioned above would more than fit my needs

Hope this helps

Eric

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Check the Hitachi 51F500 - 51" for around $1500. I bought one a few weeks ago and could not be happier. I compared it against Panasonic, RCA, Samsung, and Sony. Only the Sony came close.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
honestly, i bet a lot of these products are made by the same manufacturer and relabed(except sony who does make own stuff)

it is called OEM

plasmas are all made by fujitsu and another company for example

Eric

I think that stores are deceiving

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I have a 65" Toshiba (65H83) and I love it. The 57" (57H83) is exactly the same only a little smaller. It's a great deal if you find it in your $1500 range.

Steven Larson

Stunt Coordinator
I just found out that the company mentioned above, onecall.com is located in the town I live in (Spokane, WA), so I am going to check to see if their prices apply for pickup.

They are supposed to be getting the Toshiba 57" in soon, at a price of $1422!!

It is tough to tell the picture quality when you go into places like Sears and Best Buy, because they don't do a very good job of showing the tv's....

I still plan to check out the Panasonic 53", the Toshiba 57", and probably an Hitachi and Sony in that price range....

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Onecall has free shipping on most of their big screens, but not all of them. I got my panny 53" from them and that one was free shipping.

Steven Larson

Stunt Coordinator
I did a quote on line last night for the Panny, and shipping was just over $200, bringing the price to $1515 total.

Steve

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
They seem to have taken off the free shipping deals at onecall on some of their tv's and just lowered the prices of the TVs. I noticed when I got the invoice from the shipping company that they actually charged me $1247 for the tv and the shipping company charged them $250 for the shipping. But on their site I got it for $1497 with free shipping. So in all reality, you are getting what they used to call free shipping, they just lowered their advertised price to get it to their previous price with the free shipping. They still have shipping included on some of the tv's, they must switch out on which tv's include shipping. But I must say that if you are looking to buy from onecall, they are the best online retailer I have delt with. I give them thumbs up on their customer service.

DarrenHo

Stunt Coordinator
just got the sony 51ws510 rptv from goodguys.com. not a bad pic with standard cable and dvds look really nice. haven't even had a chance to tweek it beyond lowering the setting and running a flash focus.

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
I was torn between the Sony 46wt510 and the 51ws510. Ultimately I decided on the 46wt510 because i only sit about 6-8 ft from the set. One Call has the 46wt510 right now for $1187.71. If 46" is not too small for you you can not do better.

scotty

Auditioning
I have the Hitachi 46F500 Im really happy. Hitachi makes their own CRT's and cabinets. They even make Toshiba's CRT's for them.On sale at Sears $1519

Steven Larson

Stunt Coordinator
What is the difference between the Hitachi models when you see F500 and S500 as the last numbers? I can't tell much difference from the specs.

Greg B

Auditioning

The S500 has better components including the speakers and color guns that make the projection. I have the 46f00 and after comparing the 51f500 and 51s500 originally I didn't notice much difference at all in the picture qualities. The one thing that is noticeably different between the two is that the stretch feature when watching 4:3 letterbox material is much better with the s500. There is much less distortion in the picture. It didn't really make sense to me to spend that much more for the s500 and you get used to watching in stretch mode pretty quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks