What's new

Which Halloween II to buy? (1 Viewer)

AaronG

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys! Which Halloween II is better, the Goodtimes (with complete score easter egg), or the Universal (which supposedly has better picture)?
Thanks,
Aaron

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
To be honest, If you really, really want better picture and you can find it for below 15 bucks, Go for Halloween 2 Universal.
But if you can find the Goodtimes cheap, Which I am sure you can, You might as well get that. I felt robbed by Universal announcing those features and NOT delivering.
Time to teach them a lesson.
Regards,
Ricky
------------------
C:WINDOWSDesktopjasonVSparbannerVER2.jpg
www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD
Thank you WILL K for the banner

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
- If you want to pay $5 for a semi-decent non-anamorphic transfe, a decent DD 2.0 track, and production notes, get the Goodtimes version.
- If you want to pay $20 for an okay anamorphic transfer, a decent DD 2.0 track, a trailer, cast and crew biographies, and more production notes, get the Universal edition.
If you don't have a 16x9 TV, get the Goodtimes version.
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."
[Edited last by Matthew Chmiel on September 20, 2001 at 06:31 PM]

bill lopez

Second Unit
Picture=even Menus=Goodtimes Sound=even Packaging=even
Extras=Goodtimes Price: GoodTimes $9 vs. Universal $18

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
- If you want to pay $5 for a semi-decent non-anamorphic transfe, a decent DD 2.0 track, and production notes, get the Goodtimes version.
I'd say the Goodtimes version is better than "semi-decent" as far as non-anamorphic transfers go. I think it's one of the best non-anamorphic discs I own. For $5.99, you can't beat it!
Jeff

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
Both versions suck ass. I will await a SE instead. This is coming for a die hard Halloween fan by the way. :)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The Goodtimes disc does NOT have the complete score- you just get to hear parts of the main theme over the menus but that's it; nothing like the entire passages that are on some Universal discs. I haven't seen the Universal "Halloween II" disc so can't comment on it.

bill lopez

Second Unit
Stick with the GoodTimes. I owned it and sold it when I heard about the Universal was coming out. BIG MISTAKE!

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I'd just stick with the Goodtimes one. Aside from everything mentioned already, Goodtimes recently switched from using snapper cases to keepcases. You've got to respect a company that does that. Bravo, Goodtimes.
------------------
Horror AND non-horror fans unite!
jasvparbanner2.jpg

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Wes, I thought I heard or read somewhere that Goodtimes went under?! I may be mistaken. Anyway, I was thinking of replacing my Goodtimes version with the new Universal one, but you guys say it's not that great, but it's anamorphic right, so it has to be better in some respect right? I mean how can a nonanamorphic transfer like the Goodtimes version be on par with a new anamorphic transfer!?
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
John: Goodtimes is Universal, in a roundabout way. A quick search seems to indicate that Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer And The Island Of Misfit Toys is the only Goodtimes release slated for release in the near future, though.
I have a 36" VVega that does the anamorphic squeeze, and though the new presentation is improved in some respects (colors, particularly), the difference is not night-and-day. The non-anamorphic Goodtimes disc looks rather nice, and aside from anamorphic enhancement, the two are not remarkably different.
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site

Sean-D

Agent
Halloween II ? Are you kidding me? Why are you guy's debating the picture quality of a second rate sequel?
It wouldn't help if it were available in HDTV(1080i).
Go to your nearest dvd retailer and buy the REAL DEAL!
HALLOWEEN (Original) THX Remastered Box Set
16:9 Anamorphic Widescreen, DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1, Extended Director's cut.
(also has FULL-FRAME 4:3 version option)
NOTE: A new anamorphic widescreen print and dolby digital 5.1 mix was made just for this dvd.
Additional Features you get:
(Behind-the-scenes footage,Cast & Crew bios,Picture & Poster Gallery,Theatrical Trailer & Television spots, and a Documentary with John Carpenter,Jamie Lee Curtis and others)
Priced between 25 to 30 dollars. (a genuine bargin)
------------------
Sean-D.
"If at first you don't succeed...,remove all evidence that you ever tried."
[Edited last by Sean-D on October 16, 2001 at 01:04 AM]

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
(also has FULL-FRAME 4:3 version option)
No, it's more like a 4:3 PAN & SCAN version.
And IMO, Halloween II is the 2nd best sequel in the Halloween series (next to Part 4).
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I bought the Goodtimes version a few years ago and was suprised how it looked.Its a uneven transfer, but I dont own a 16x9 TV so..... It was nice just to se it in OAR if you ask me.Do you really need the pisspoor extras for this disc? At $9 its a nobrainer really.
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
If you have a widescreen TV with component video through a progressive scan DVD player, the Universal version is the one to get.
I presume that you are comparing it to the Goodtimes version also with component video through a progressive scan player, in which case, your statement boils down to "the 16:9 enhancement makes a big difference".
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Chuck L

Screenwriter
If the price fits in with a answer to the question...
Right now in many Wal-Mart discount bins is the Goodtime's version at the low, low price of just....$5.00.
I simply refused to buy the Universal release since they didn't come through on what the promised.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Jesse, as reported at DVDReview, the whole score is on the Goodtimes dvd, you just have to participate a little...
Halloween II
Goodtimes Entertainment's release of John Carpenter's chilling horror film 'Halloween II' contains an interesting hidden feature that easily escapes viewers of the disc.
When you access the disc's 'Scene Selection' from the main menu, you will hear a segment of the movie's score playing while you work your way around the menu. When it is finished, go to the next page of the menu, and you will hear another segment of the score playing. If you then go to the next menu page, yet another segment of the score will play., and if you then go to the final screen of the scene selections, another piece of the film's haunting score will play for you. Altoghether, these separate pieces of music you can hear over the scene selections add up to build the entire music score of the movie. This exciting feature has been submitted to us by Brandon Herring.
Here's the link... http://www.dvdreview.com/eastereggs/collect/181.html
------------------
"Who made it?! The Shark!?!"
Please sign this Hammer Films petition, thanks!
http://www.petitiononline.com/Hammer/petition.html

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I've owned both and while I think the Universal one looks a bit better, I think Universal blew it when they failed to deliver the extra features.
Go with the Goodtimes.
------------------
Scott Weinberg
------------------
http://www.ofcs.org

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Yeah, and K- mart also has it for $5 (while they last).
I'm really beginning to like the Goodtimes deals!
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks