-

Photo
- - - - -

The Practice - Cancelled

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,679 posts

Posted March 10 2004 - 05:38 AM

Acording to USA Today, the axe fell on The Practice, but a new spinoff show is being developed by David E. Kelley will star James Spader, with Rhona Mitra, and perhaps Jessica Capshaw coming along. If the new show is a go, it'll be spun off from the remaining episode of The Practice this season.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 13 chuck_b

chuck_b

Supporting Actor

• 540 posts

Posted March 10 2004 - 05:45 AM

Yikes!

I guess this is inevitable. Look at the last 3 episode show arc - all Spader, some Tara and a passing use of Jimmy (that never transpired by the third act). He is clearly holding the current show together and everyone else at the firm trying to get rid of him eqch episdoe is probably mimicking real life.

As long as Spader is in, then I'm there. And Rhona Mitra won't be too bad either :wink:
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad. "

#3 of 13 Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor

• 962 posts

Posted March 10 2004 - 05:46 AM

That is so much better than the idea of bringing back Bobby Donald that was tossed around last week. I could do without Capshaw but the idea of a Firm with Shore being the managing partner but focusing on his relationship withthe law students and interns would be interesting.
Good lord, there's nothing worse than the foul stench of desperation when someone wants to be famous.

- Luis Esp

#4 of 13 Adam_ME

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts

Posted March 10 2004 - 06:03 AM

Hell, The Practice is pretty much the James Spader show at this point anyway. He's the only reason I'm watching this season, so I have no problem with a spinoff focusing completely on Alan Shore(and Tara for the eye candy Posted Image).

Leave Jessica Capshaw out though. She serves absolutely no purpose on the show and frankly she's a crappy actress. I don't give a damn who her stepfather is.
I should really learn to knock....in case there's a threesome going on in my bedroom. - Sandy Cohen, The O.C., The Countdown

My DVD Collection

#5 of 13 James T

James T

Screenwriter

• 1,643 posts

Posted March 10 2004 - 06:30 AM

Quote:
Hell, The Practice is pretty much the James Spader show at this point anyway

Exactly. Is it really a spinoff if you bring three characters from the current show to a new show with the exact same idea?

#6 of 13 Eddy-C

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor

• 549 posts

Posted March 10 2004 - 07:14 PM

Well there was Angel.
Click here for Trailer #1 | Trailer #2 | International Trailer

Keep Flyin' on September 30th!My DVDs | My Livejournal

#7 of 13 Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted March 10 2004 - 11:01 PM

but they took supporting characters. It wasn't like they took buffy/xander/willow from season 3 and started season 4 as a new series.

Angel was a different case than this.

#8 of 13 BobbyPerry

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted March 11 2004 - 02:13 AM

I hope Capshaw goes along with them. She is so hot, and I like that she is sorta moral, but not all the way. She'd be great with tara and Spader.
Link deleted by moderator; DO NOT REPOST.

#9 of 13 chuck_b

chuck_b

Supporting Actor

• 540 posts

Posted March 11 2004 - 02:43 AM

More details on officially closing current "Practice":

http://hollywoodrepo...._id=1000459772
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad. "

#10 of 13 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,679 posts

Posted March 11 2004 - 03:59 AM

I think it'd be funny if David E. Kelley was able to land the Alan Shore character in the same law firm from his defunct "Girls Club" show, and bring back the 3 hotties from that show to surround Alan with and tease the hell out them.

#11 of 13 James T

James T

Screenwriter

• 1,643 posts

Posted March 11 2004 - 04:00 AM

That's an interesting link, but the exit of Spader's character to setup the spinoff is not what I heard. I guess it's still speculation at this point, but just in case...
I read that he gets fired, joins a bigger and more powerful firm and then sues his old firm for wrongful dismissal. And sorry, but I can't find the link

#12 of 13 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,679 posts

Posted March 11 2004 - 04:23 AM

Talk about shades of
Ally McBeal

#13 of 13 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,222 posts

Posted March 11 2004 - 03:11 PM

I wonder if they'll show the episode that
William Shatner is supposedly filming now
. That I'm sure was for stunt casting and ratings.

Never mind, I just saw this:

Quote:
William Shatner (Captain Kirk), who began shooting an guest spot on The Practice today, could have a recurring role on that series' spinoff.

Dark Horizons reported that although ABC cancelled The Practice yesterday after eight seasons on the air due to declining ratings, the network and producer David E. Kelley have agreed to an "evolution" of the show consisting of a spin-off to be launched during this season's final episodes.

Shatner will film four of the last episodes of The Practice this season, which could lead to a recurring role on the sequel series.

According to Dark Horizons, a new law firm will be introduced in the final episodes of The Practice when Alan Shore (James Spader) is fired and files a wrongful-termination lawsuit against Young, Frutt & Berluti. The firm which represents Shore is headed by Shatner's character.

In the end, said Dark Horizons, Spader's character is expected to join the new firm, along with probable regular cast members Jessica Capshaw and Rhona Mitra.

(Admin note - spoilers added, just in case people want to maintain some surprise for future episodes.)

Forum Nav Content I Follow