What's new

SCTV on DVD!!! Finally! (1 Viewer)

John Kwong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JK
:eek::eek::eek:

I just recieved a newsletter from the guys at Shout! and among the annoucements for Q2 04 is this:

Second City Flies First Class: "What's My Shoe Size?," "Mel's Rock Pile," "Great White North." If these names don't ring a big, very loud bell, chances are you don't know comedy. Come to think of it, chances are you don't know anyone who knows comedy, you're generally humorless, and people don't like you. How else can you explain not being on a first-name basis with some of the best and most famous bits from television's greatest sketch-comedy series, SCTV? Alright, maybe it's been a while since the shows last had a fair airing. After all, it has been 18 years since production wrapped on the two-time Emmy-winner that birthed comedic geniuses John Candy, Eugene Levy, Rick Moranis, Martin Short and Harold Ramis. Well, Shout! Factory's about to beat on your funny bone all over again (and, hopefully, make you a better friend and colleague in the process) with the debut home-video release of SCTV-SCTV Network/90 - Volume 1, a five-DVD boxed set featuring the first cycle of nine 90-minute episodes that aired on NBC, all unedited. And then there are plenty of promo and commercial spoofs, not to mention performances by musical legends Levon Helm, Dr. John and Southside Johnny. As if this isn't enough, the box also contains four new documentaries, including interviews with original cast members. And if all that comedy hasn't yet pummeled you into a fine slack-jawed, glassy-eyed awe, SCTV Network/90 - Volume 1 also comes with a 24-page book featuring essays and tributes by O'Brien, Ben Stiller, Fred Willard, Dan Aykroyd and Dr. John, plus images of rare photos and memorabilia. Here's to a better, funnier you!

YES! I've been waiting for this one forever! Evidently it will street on June 8, 2004 for $89.98!

There's more information is available on their website:

Link to Shout! annoucement

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I've got it already, and it's pretty good. I'm working on the review for DVDTown.com

5 discs, and they look pretty good, considering the age of the material.

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
For those of you with tight budgets or who just cannot wait until June, Time Life is going to be offering individual DVDs starting next month. As far as extras are concerned, I'm not sure if the content is the same as the June retail release but should be identical as far as episodes are concerned.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
SCTV on DVD has been a dream of mine for years. I'm extremely happy.

Except with that near-$90 price tag. That's way out of my budget right now. But don't just ask me, take it from these fine people:

Count Floyd -- "Oooh, isn't that reeeaal scaaary, kids?"
Ed Grimley -- "Oh, give me a break!"
Tex Boil -- "That's right, Edna."
Pirini Scleroso -- "Pushie brinkoff."
Johnny LaRue -- "I'm not gay!"

:D

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
Time Life should begin taking orders April 12. Also, for those who are interested, the SCTV Guide gives a good overview of some minor edits on the first batch of discs due to music clearance issues.

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
As in the words of Count Floyd: "Yes, kids, you can get the whole set for nine...ty bucks."

If there's only one thing I would get on DVD that's gonna set me back 90 bucks, it's SCTV. Soon to be a cornerstone in my meager collection.

Besides, the Amazon price is much easier on the eyes.

I can't wait!

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I'm confused. How is this DVD coming out? One box set separate sets?

Justin Cleveland? Reviews? Anybody have links to reviews?

"Grogan" is on this package! Yay!

I loved the parody combination of Rodan/Godzilla. GROGAN! I have no idea what the actual dialouge is, so forgive my memory. I'll have to scan my video tapes.

Dave Thomas, polically incorrectly portrayed Japanese interviewer:

"Grogan!! Why must you CRUSH everything small?"

John Candy as Grogan:

"Well, like I said...It's all in my book. I don't do that anymore"

Dave Thomas:

"If we fly a plane in here, will you CRUSH it..."

John Candy:

"Look, I'm telling you, its all in my book...I don't do that kind of stuff anymore"..

hah hah....I loved that.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
One thing that sucks is that the video quality is apparantly less than good. 1.33:1 and not even enhanced for 16:9 so it looks like I'll be zooming in on a lousy picture. I hope its watchable on my PJ. I don't want to get the thing and be forced to watch on the TV.

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
Anyone pick up the TimeLife discs? I got volumes 1&4 but the entire 5 volume set is on backorder and has been ever since this set went on sale...even though TimeLife has it as "In Stock" :angry:

JasonPW

Stunt Coordinator
"SCTV" used a huge variety of music sources--few if any were actually cleared for broadcast , much less any future video rights.

The mahhhhvelous people of Shout Factory went the extry mile to clear as much music as humanly possible, making it possible for us to enjoy classics like "The Gerry Todd Show" bit with Michael McDonald riffs--that one six or seven minute skit included about 4 Doobie Brothers songs, the Christopher Cross hit "Ride Like the Wind", plus a few Petula Clark tunes if I recall. Say what you will about the songs (any Petula Clark fans out there??), but the sketch would be a useless, hacked-up mess without them. And that's just one sketch in one of 9 episodes!

Hope that explains the "ouch" in the price. As a huge fan of "SCTV," I am frankly concerned about what the sales figures for this first set will be...plenty of "between-release nervousness" will be at play here.

But I'll be shelling out my sixtysomeodd clams come June.

Doc

Jerry F

Auditioning
I will most definitely be getting this set. My favorite memory of this show was the station manager doing his pledge drive. They were able to launch the new satellite, but due to a lack of funds, it was zipping along at an altitude of 50 feet. That was one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks