-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

What's the best mail order rental option, like Netflix?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Russell Volz

Russell Volz

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted March 09 2004 - 03:37 PM

We haven't watched TV since 1981, so I'm really enjoying the DVDs on our new HT front projector system. I want to rent the DVD first and if I like it, then buy the DVD later. Two questions:

1. What is the best on-line DVD rental company?
2. What is the best on-line DVD purchase company?

Thanks,

Russell

#2 of 6 Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted March 10 2004 - 08:57 AM

Quote:
1. What is the best on-line DVD rental company?

Nicheflix

Quote:
2. What is the best on-line DVD purchase company?

With the new lower-prices for preorders, free shipping, and sponsorship of HTF, I'd have to say Laser's Edge.

Jeff

#3 of 6 Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted March 10 2004 - 09:22 AM

If you order from Laser's Edge though, use this link so that the HTF gets credit for directing you to their site.
Kyle McKnight

#4 of 6 jon_ad

jon_ad

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 04:47 AM

I've used both Walmart dvd rentals and NetFlix. I think that Netflix is the better with more available titles and the ability to get a lot of titles that Walmart won't carry-ie more independent films.

#5 of 6 Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 05:45 AM

I haven't used Walmart but a few friend have. The problem is their distribution centers are not local like in most cases with Netflix. That adds a day or two for the delivery and return times. With Netflix, when I put the return envelope in mailbox Monday, I will have a replacement disc by Wednesday.

#6 of 6 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 06:46 AM

Depending on where you live, and how important speed and cost are to you, you might want to check out Greencine, which is the one I use.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

Forum Nav Content I Follow