What's new

Help - Doris Day Fans (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
THE NE THING I WANT TO ASK WARNERS IN THE CHAT IS WHEN WE WILL GET ALL THOSE GREAT DORIS DAY GORDON MACRAE WARNERS MUSICALS. FOUND OUT I HAVE TO WORK TONIGHT AND CAN'T BE AT THE CHAT - CAN ONE OF YOU ASK FOR ME?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think "Love Me or Leave Me" is coming out in 2005, but I haven't heard of any other Day titles.

Crawdaddy

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Where are-
"MOVE OVER DARLING"
"MIDNIGHT LACE"
"GLASS BOTTOM BOAT"
"DO NOT DISTURB"
"CAPRICE"
"JULIE"
"PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES"
"IT HAPPENED TO JANE"
"TUNNEL OF LOVE"
"WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE LIGHTS WENT OUT"

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
"DorisDayTribute.com" several months ago listed LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME, BILLY ROSE'S JUMBO, PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES and THE GLASS BOTTOM BOAT as coming to DVD in 2005, and now Warner's has confirmed the 2 musicals, so I bet the 2 comedies are also coming out next year. As for the early Warners films, I hope they don't get forgotten about.

What worries me is that I always heard that Doris' son Terry was a major mover in getting her catalogue released, and after his death last week, I hope there's someone in the studio(s) to champion their releases. (I know that sounds like a crassly selfish way to view his death, and I don't mean it to be, but it just crossed my mind...)

John

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I am listeing here to Doris Day CDs when I read here of Terry Melchers death. How did it happen and how old was he?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Joe:

He was 62 years old and he died last Friday of melanoma.

I just keep thinking how awful it must be to bury your only child, business partner and (by all accounts from interviews given) your best friend all at once. No parent, I don't care how old they are, should have to bury a child. My heart really goes out to Doris.

John

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I had not heard of Terry Melcher's death. Very sad. A parent outliving their child is an emotional blow that one can not imagine unless you've been through it.

Please allow me to add "Storm Warning" to the list of Doris Day films that I hope Warners will eventually consider for release.

Steve

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
My dream is that WB releases her films on DVD in a collection or a series of collections a-la Marilyn Monroe, and that Doris will use the opportunity to come out of retirement, even if for a brief moment.

This is highly unlikely, of course, since Doris has been notoriously shy about public appearances for years.

But there's no harm in dreamin'.:)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
"Tea for Two" looked gorgeous on Laserdisc so one can only imagine what the increased sharpness and detail of DVD would do for it.

I would not hesitate to purchase,
"Tea For Two"
"Young at Heart" ( available on awful Public Domain discs)
"On Moonlight Bay"
"By the Light of the Silvery Moon"
"West Point Story"
"It's Magic" (aka "Romance on the High Seas")
"My Dream is Yours"
"It's a Great Feeling"
"Lullaby of Broadway"
"I'll See You in My Dreams"
"April in Paris"
"Lucky Me"
and of course I will be purchasing the up-coming,
"Jumbo" and "Love Me or Leave Me"

I am old enough to have seen and still remember all these terrific titles that I watched as a youth at the local Cinema all those many years ago.
She was Magic then and still is today.

Come on George, Bring 'em on.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Add THE WINNING TEAM (with Reagan), another vote for STORM WARNING (also with Reagan but it belongs in a Film Noir Collection) and the all-star STARLIFT....

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Doug Bull- Young at Heart is NOT public domain in the U.S. but available from republic(?). Part of the problem is that the film used to be a
Warner Film but republic never got the original materials. last I knew the negative and the mag mono track is still at warners. (republic is using a poor optical track.)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Thanks for that info Joe.
Is the Republic disc any good?

There is a fairly decent print ( sharp enough, but with slightly faded colors) that gets run occassionally on Pay-TV here in OZ.
I had the feeling that I have seen a few PAL no-name brand copies floating about in stores here, but after what you have said I may well be mistaken.(As a rule I usually try to avoid the $2 - $4 bargain bins)

Thanks Charles,
I had forgotten "Starlift"

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
It's good only if you love this movie and you're absolutely desperate to watch it, which I was.

It's a full-screen, way subpar transfer with plenty of scratches, video noise and washed-out picture, made worse by the fact that the film was in the inferior Warnercolor to begin with. At times the picture even shakes. And the mono sound is very distorted and hissy.

Before I bought it, I read the reviews on Amazon which lambasted the disc and decided not to trust them. Well, this is one time I should have. A very bad disc indeed courtesy of our friends at Artisan.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I would buy every Doris film on DVD, even the ones I dislike, and she's one of the very few stars I'd do that for. Even in a sub-par film, she is always worth watching.

I also would love to see her TV series and variety specials on DVD.

John

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Not to knock Warner Bros., which I think has been sensational re: DVD, but the following exchnage from the Digital Bits transcript of the 4/22/03 chat with WB DVD execs leaves me shaking my head:

[Questioner] Any hopes for the Ronald reagan film
storm warning?

[Warner] No plans for STORM WARNING. Great film but no
one knows it and it wouldn't sell.

3 of the biggest stars in Hollywood history, and one a 2-term US President, and they don't think it could sell as well as "Murder, My Sweet" which they did release. Ah well.

:frowning:

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks