What's new

The Sting SE on 09/06/05 See Post #133 (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Recently I saw a magazine ad for this movie on DVD in Entertainment Weekly but upon researching it, found out that it is only available in Fullscreen.

Are there any plans to rerelease this in a Special Edition and Widescreen?

chris_clem

Second Unit

You meant to say only available in Fullscreen right? If I'm not mistaken, 1:1.33 (or fullscreen) is the correct aspect ratio for this film. Widescreen would not be OAR.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

That's interesting. Was it made for TV? (I was under the impression that all "modern" theatrical films were widescreen.)

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
The Sting was definitely not made for TV. The IMDb, though often incorrect on such matters, lists it as a 1.85:1 aspectratio.

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed this as I almost bought the Oscar Winning edition at Cost-Co before I noticed one of the SF's listed was a "Full Frame Presontation". This is shamefull, shamefull. :thumbsdown:

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Too bad this is by Universal. If Warner owned the rights we would probably have a nice 2-disc SE in OAR by now.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
The bizarre thing is that they released a letterboxed VHS tape around the same time as the DVD.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Universal is still in a coma when it comes to creating Special Editions of brilliant catalogue films in their vault. I know they have their problems, but surely releasing high-quality SEs of films like The Sting would help the company? It would be a BIG seller.

chris_clem

Second Unit

Oops! my bad:b My R3 version is Fullscreen as well and since OAR is usually the default here, I thought this was the OAR for this film as well! (R3 releases here in the Philippines are *almost always* OAR...this apparently being one of the few exceptions) ...I just checked and apparently it's widescreen in R2.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Stupid, stupid Universal. It's a shame I can't buy this because it's one of the most cleverly-written films I've ever seen. Magnificent screenplay.

BarryRR

Agent
They already missed the 30th anniversary. I've been hoping for a decent SE of this for eons. It's a no-brainer. A classic, a Best Picture winner--what gives???? Instead they're pushing CAT IN THE HAT! :angry:

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I doubt we'll be seeing a new edition of this anytime in the immediate future.

This is Universal, the most inept DVD studio out there.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Since it's Universal, maybe we can expect another FRANCHISE collection re-release together with The Sting II.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Yeah I meant it was only available in Full screen.

I guess all we can do is write Universal DVD which I found by doing a search on the Internet, and writing them.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I finally broke down and watched my Mom's copy of the DVD the other day and absolutely loved the movie. I'd never seen it before this. I hate experiencing a film for the first time in non-OAR, but I had heard so manny good things about this one. I will wait for OAR, but it will be hard.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Open Matte, or Pan-and-Scan?

If it's Open Matte, you could theoretically watch it in OAR by taping mattes over your TV screen (not that you should be forced to go to such trouble).

If it's Pan-and-Scan, there's actually material chopped off and no workaround is possible.

Alan Kurland

Stunt Coordinator
Because the movie is so great, and one of my favorites, it is one of the only, if not the only, movie I own in full screen. I would gladly trash it any day if a widescreen version came out! Extras would be great too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks