What's new

Just lookie at what the British have/are getting on Region 2 DVD's... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Where to start...

Here are a few highlights from Play.com (link below):

Already available:
THAT HAPPY BREED (David Lean)
THE CRUEL SEA
LONELINESS OF A LONG DISTANCE RUNNER (widescreen)
THE DAM BUSTERS
DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS (2.35:1)
VAULT OF HORROR (1.85)
DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS (aspect ratio not mentioned)

Coming:
BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW (w/commentary, 1.85)
QUATERMASS EXPERIMENT ("Creeping Unknown" in US)
TESS (2.35, 8/23)
WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND (Hayley Mills commentary, 1.66:1)
TIGER BAY (Hayley Mills commentary, 1.66:1)
DAS BOOT MINISERIES (5 Hours!!)
NAME OF THE ROSE (9/6)
JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG (1.66:1, 5/3)
WHAT'S NEW PUSSYCAT (6/7)
The last two above are a couple of the United Artists titles MGM has not yet released in the U.S. - this may be an indication that they plan to soon.

I know, it's a trade-off. There are many titles we already have here that the U.K. is still waiting on. But the titles above make me drool.

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=front&r=home

Real Name
Anthony
You can call it a trade-off if you want, Dick, but the ratio is still at least 10 to 1 in R1's favour. Go to
www.dvdcompare.net and look at the comparisons if you don't believe me.

R1 is still by a long, LONG way the best served. The one advantage we have is that we've all been forced to buy multi-region enabled players in order not to miss out. But believe me, having to import 75 percent of your discs -
when you factor-in wait times, customs charges, cock-ups, returns and the risk of being ripped off - is a pain in the arse (as we say over here). :)

DannyS

Second Unit
This is a can of worms.:) For the most part R1 are superior releases. It's only occasionally do I have to get R2 or R4. I am still waiting on Predator R1, if only because of the awful transfer on the R2 and the Pal Speedup of a score I love.

I got the matrix R4 (Uncut and extra res)

I got Terminator R1 because Van Ling stated that the R2 was effectively a work in progress!

This could go on and on.......

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Dick

I own the UK DVD of The Day of the Triffids and it is widescreen. I believe that Vault of Horror is fullscreen & not 1:1.85.

MGM has released some films in the UK a while ago that for some reason have not yet made it to these shores such as Trapeze & Alexander the Great. I'm hoping that is not the case with the 2 films you mentioned.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Quatermass Xperiment from DD Video is already out, though I think, IIRC correctly, they're are pairing it with Quatermass 2 in a double box set re-release.

It is quite rare that an R2 release is superior to an R1 (though Quatermass 2 is better in R2, slightly, than R1). From what I read recently, it does appear as if Carlton, who hold the rights to several of those titles above, is getting it's act together and preparing decent transfers and extras for their releases. For instance, their first attempt at The Ipcress File was in P&S. Now they've quietly re-released it with an anamorphic OAR transfer that is said to be superior to Anchor Bay's R1, albeit without the Peter Hunt / Sidney J. Furie commentary.

And of course we have an SE of The Heroes of Telemark that I doubt will surface in R1 for some time yet! Things are looking up...

---
So many films, so little time...

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Got to warn you that Vault of Horror is a full screen release from Vipco, a company that's not reknowned for quality work.

---
So many films, so little time...

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Liemke
Any infos, if "The Name of the Rose" will be a 2-disc-set? In France, they get a 2-DVD-set of this movie, as well as for "The Damned", "Amarcord" and "Death in Venice". The british and german editions of the last three will be single-disc-editions, just as the RC1-DVDs.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
castle home video is releasing a special edition of conan the destroyer for region 2:UK in august. no ideas on the extra features. There is a MGM special edition of conan the destroyer for region 2/4, but not here in the states.

JACOB

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

That commentary is the one of the best I've heard on any of my DVDs. If you have a choice, go for the R1 (or get both)!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Hi, Christian. I have been checking for more info on Name of the Rose but I can't really find anything. I'm not even sure who the distributor will be. It should be a great release nonetheless.

PS: What are the extra features on the French editions of The Damned, Amarcord, Death in Venice? Does Amacord have English subtitles?

Thanks.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

The Korean Special Edition is NTSC and looks to be the same transfer as the R1, only it has all the special features not found on the R1.

While I agree that R1 is better than R2 UK on a lot of releases, I'd say the Japanese R2 releases trump ours more often than not. Their DTS anamorphic True Lies and anamorphic Evita are just two recent examples.

Jeff

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Liemke

You can find the infos on my DVD-website (see signature), but the site is only in German, so here's an english summary:

All 2-DVD-sets will be released by Warner Bros. on 06/16/04. On the same day Warner will release "The Name of the Rose" in France as well.

The Damned / Le Damnés [DVD-title]
- 1.85:1 anamorphic
- Italian, French DD 1.0 Mono
- Subtitles: English, French, German, Spanish, Arabic, Dutch, English for the hearing impaired, and others

bonus materials
- Featurette about Visconti
- Featurette about the "German Trilogy"
- Family tree for the Eschenbach family
- Interviews
- deleted Scenes
- Trailer

Death in Venice / Mort à Venise [DVD-title]
- 2.40:1 anamorphic
- Italian, English, French DD 1.0 Mono
- Subtitles: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Arabic, Dutch, English and Italian for the hearing impaired, and others

bonus materials
- Introduction
- Analysis of the movie
- Interview with Piero Tosi
- Documentary about Thomas Mann and Luchino Visconti
- Featurette "A la recherche de Tadzio" by Luchino Visconti
- Trailer

Amarcord
- 2.40:1 anamorphic
- Italian, English, French DD 1.0 Mono
- Subtitles: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Arabic, Dutch, English and Italian for the hearing impaired, and others

bonus materials
- Analysis of the film "Le monde magique du souvenir fellinien" by Dominique Paini
- Interviews
- Making Of
- Documentary about Federico Fellini
- The music of Nino Rota
- Trailer

I have no informations about the language and/or subtitles for the bonus materials.

"Blow Up" by Antonioni will be released on 06/16/04 as well, but as a single-disc with the same supplemental materials as the RC1.

Here's a link to french informations about "The Name of the Rose".
http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/dvd.php?id=11291

Real Name
Anthony
The UK NAME OF THE ROSE will feature a commentary by the director and a documentary. Another packed SE on its way to R2 is THE EAGLE HAS LANDED, also due in June.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks