Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

"THX 1138: The George Lucas Director's Cut" to Street 09/14/04

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
504 replies to this topic

#1 of 505 OFFLINE   Galen_V

Galen_V

Second Unit

• 352 posts

Posted March 07 2004 - 02:41 AM

I'm surprised no one picked up on this yet, but this comes from the Warner Brothers HV special advertising section in this week's NY Times Magazine:

Quote:
"THX 1138: The George Lucas Director's Cut" Two-Disc Special Edition
Available April 4
The DVD debut of "Star Wars" creator George Lucas's first feature, this futuristic tale is the story of one man (Robert Duvall), who struggles to escape from a computer-controlled subterranean society of worker drones that forbids sex and enforces human assimilation. Extras include added footage unseen in the original releases, commentary by Lucas and Walter Murch, the Lucas student film that inspired the movie, two new documentaries, a vintage featurette, a theatrical trailer and more. $26.99

Posted Image

Edit: Added Image

#2 of 505 OFFLINE   Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted March 07 2004 - 03:02 AM

Wow! Chalk up another title for the 2-disc SE series. That came from out of nowhere considering it's less than a month away. The extras sound great. Posted Image

#3 of 505 OFFLINE   Todd Hostettler

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit

• 285 posts

Posted March 07 2004 - 03:17 AM

Director's cut?

Remember, Duvall shot first!

Posted Image

#4 of 505 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted March 07 2004 - 03:41 AM

...yeah..that's..original....anyway, it includes the student film? Right on! I'll be snapping this up immediately upon release.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#5 of 505 OFFLINE   Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted March 07 2004 - 03:55 AM

Great news, finally. I'm all for director cuts and whatnot, but GL does have an ugly record with such things lately. Hopefully we will still get basically the same film, perhaps with branching or something.

It's an outstanding film and I would hate to think that he had any real reason to "fix" it.

The package as a whole sounds very promising. Posted Image

#6 of 505 OFFLINE   John Alderson

John Alderson

Supporting Actor

• 563 posts

Posted March 07 2004 - 04:10 AM

Hmm, he's including his student film? Maybe he'll consider the '77 release of Star Wars to be a student film Posted Image

#7 of 505 OFFLINE   Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit

• 472 posts

Posted March 07 2004 - 04:17 AM

Posted Image Kind of nice to get a surprise like this! And so (relatively) close to the street!
"We make it hard...the easy way."

Funniest line I have ever read in DVD a review: "'The Simple Life' stars rich, spoiled friends Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie as two rich, spoiled friends who are taken out of their posh Los Angeles lifestyle and deposited in a small town in Arkansas..."

#8 of 505 OFFLINE   Adam_ME

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts

Posted March 07 2004 - 04:58 AM

I've never seen THX-1138 and was looking forward to getting the DVD. I just hope Lucas doesn't alter the movie too much from its original state. And definitely don't "upgrade" it with CGI!!!
I should really learn to knock....in case there's a threesome going on in my bedroom. - Sandy Cohen, The O.C., The Countdown

My DVD Collection

#9 of 505 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted March 07 2004 - 05:13 AM

I'll definitely be picking this up. Hopefully Lucas didn't change too much.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#10 of 505 OFFLINE   Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony

Producer

• 3,218 posts

Posted March 07 2004 - 05:21 AM

The only reason this is being called a "Director's Cut" is because Warners took the film away from him after he finished it and cut it to their specifications, without his input. It's one of the reasons Coppola and Lucas ended up getting estranged through some of the 70's and 80's: Coppola produced it, and Lucas thought Coppola should have been able to prevent the studio taking away his movie and making cuts without his input. The famous quote of his was "It's like the doctors taking away your children and then cutting off a couple fingers here and there to make it look better." or something along those lines.

This is a "Director's Cut" in that he's probably simply putting back the footage that was initially chopped by the execs at WB. The version we've all been watching was a studio edit without notes or input from either Coppola or Lucas. Although rumor is there WAS a video release, on VHS, that had Lucas original version intact.

But that's not as fun or interesting or worrisome to speculate about as assuming he's going to Special Edition it with Jar jar and walkie talkies and people shooting first ha ha ha Where do I stick a dollar $ign in ha ha ha childhood rape. Posted Image

#11 of 505 OFFLINE   Herb Kane

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,353 posts

Posted March 07 2004 - 05:28 AM

Quote:
Available April 4

A Sunday...?

Posted Image
My Top 25 Noirs:

25. 711 Ocean Drive (1950), 24. Odds Against Tomorrow (1959), 23. Desperate (1947), 22. Pushover (1954), 21. The Blue Dahlia (1946), 20. The File on Thelma Jordon (1949), 19. He Ran All the Way (1951), 18. The Asphalt Jungle (1950), 17. The Killing (1956), 16. I Walk Alone (1948),...

#12 of 505 OFFLINE   Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann

Producer

• 3,515 posts

Posted March 07 2004 - 05:36 AM

Erased Post

(Herb beat me to it and with much less verbosity) Posted Image

#13 of 505 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted March 07 2004 - 05:38 AM

The topic of what "Director's Cut" actually means regarding this release was covered in THIS THREAD from not too long ago.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#14 of 505 OFFLINE   Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted March 07 2004 - 05:42 AM

Oddly, MAY 4th is a Tuesday-which to my hazy brain, was roughly around the time I though it was going to come out...but im all for an early release if true. re: 4/6!
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#15 of 505 OFFLINE   Chris PC

Chris PC

Producer

• 3,994 posts

Posted March 07 2004 - 05:49 AM

Looking forward to this. Hopefully the version is a good one in that material is added and not so much removed or aftered. I can't recall seeing the entire film though anyways. Cool movie.
Going from projector to flatscreen for a while.... :P

#16 of 505 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,116 posts

Posted March 07 2004 - 05:57 AM

this is probably the cut that was rereleased after American Grafitti (and or star wars) hit big (not sure which one created the impetus for it). basically Lucas was able to go back and restore the six minutes of studio excised footage, and I believe this is the cut released on home video previously.

#17 of 505 OFFLINE   Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony

Producer

• 3,218 posts

Posted March 07 2004 - 06:12 AM

There it is. Thanks, Adam, I KNEW the original cut ended up making it to video somewhere, but I didn't know the specifics.

and thanks, Kevin, for the link to the other thread. I knew as I was typing my response that I'd typed something similar here before Posted Image

#18 of 505 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 07 2004 - 06:41 AM

That date has to be a mistake. I'm just glad it's coming, no matter when it really is.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#19 of 505 OFFLINE   David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted March 07 2004 - 06:51 AM

The date is a mistake. Someone printed the wrong date or they were sent the wrong date without anyone checking the details.

Be Seeing you,
david Blackwell
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#20 of 505 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 07 2004 - 07:02 AM

by the way - I don't think this is the cut released on home video previously because it's been re-rated from PG to R.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

Forum Nav Content I Follow