Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek: TNG - "Parallels" question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,896 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted March 06 2004 - 11:04 PM

In some scenes of this episode, Data has blue eyes. It's a small change, but it was very disconcerting. A "Trek Snafus" page has this as the explanation:

Quote:
In several scenes, Data is seen with having blue eyes instead of the yellowish-grey eyes. Brent forgot his contacts!

Is this a known Trek fact? I just can't believe he could forget his contacts or that the director could miss that fact. I assume it was a very subtle (well, not so subtle, since it leaped out of the screen at me) attempt to show Data as he existed in an alternate universe.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick

Screenwriter

• 2,358 posts

Posted March 07 2004 - 06:22 AM

I don't know. If it was intentional, it was probably Brent Spiner's idea, and he probably suggested to go without the gold makeup, which they probably rejected as not being subtle enough, but they compromised on the contacts. That's my theory.

However, I think that if it was scripted then there would have been a line in the script pointing it out to make sure the audience sees it. So if it was intentional then it happened while the episode was shot, not in the script.
Wayne Bundrick

"It tastes like there's a party in my mouth and everybody's throwing up!" -- Philip J. Fry

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Doug R

Doug R

Supporting Actor

• 787 posts

Posted March 07 2004 - 07:42 AM

I'm sure this was intentional. The episode was all about parallel universes that Worf was jumping around through. You could say they made a mistake by wearing the wrong communicators or the wrong uniforms or why wasn't Picard in that one universe.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,542 posts

Posted March 07 2004 - 10:39 AM

I just had a look at that episode. It looks intentional to me and the blue eyes looked to be blue contacts as well.

I had forgotten how good Troi looked back then!:b

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,896 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted March 07 2004 - 02:47 PM

Quote:
However, I think that if it was scripted then there would have been a line in the script pointing it out to make sure the audience sees it. So if it was intentional then it happened while the episode was shot, not in the script.

I was hoping there would be a line about it. I was expecting Worf to say, "Commander? Have you changed your eye color?" Interestingly, I did get to hear Picard say a variation of that line three episodes later. Posted Image

Quote:
I had forgotten how good Troi looked back then!

I think she got better with age. The blue Starfleet uniform was much more flattering than that purple thing she wore in previous seasons, and she looked good in the movies, too. Maybe it's just the new uniforms, but I'm noticing Beverly more than I did in earlier seasons.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted March 08 2004 - 03:30 AM

Pretty sure it was intentional. (Especially as it was only for one sequence/alternate timeline.)

I can't see how an actor who has played the same role for years could "forget" something like putting their contacts in. (Having worn F/X contacts, I can't see how ANYONE could forget...)

I love that ep. And yeah, Troi looks amazing. Posted Image

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick

Screenwriter

• 2,358 posts

Posted March 08 2004 - 04:25 AM

Quote:
Maybe it's just the new uniforms, but I'm noticing Beverly more than I did in earlier seasons.

In one season (Season 3?) Gates McFadden was pregnant and they did everything they could to keep you from noticing her. The green lab coat, for example.
Wayne Bundrick

"It tastes like there's a party in my mouth and everybody's throwing up!" -- Philip J. Fry

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted March 09 2004 - 10:06 AM

you would think the make-up artist would have noticed this......
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Seth--L

Seth--L

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted March 09 2004 - 12:20 PM

I think she [Troy] got better with age. The blue Starfleet uniform was much more flattering than that purple thing she wore in previous seasons, and she looked good in the movies, too.

Not to mention that she stopped wearing her hair in that stupid bun, and they ceased with the pale make-up.
Well - There it is.
My Music Collection

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow