Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How many people here have played Eternal Darkness???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 OFFLINE   Timothy Childers

Timothy Childers

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted March 06 2004 - 01:56 AM

Heck... Anyone here ever heard of it? Posted Image This game is not only one of the greatest Cube games... it is one of the Greatest Games.. Period! It's especially sweet if you have surround sound. Posted Image It has been about a year and a half since I played the game... so i picked it up again to give it another run and it is just simply brilliant. A true "horror" game. It's insanity effects range anywhere from classic horror sillyness... to MUCH more clever cerebral things that actually start to make you question the difference between the game you are playing and the real world. Just curious to whether anyone else has enjoyed this game like i have. Posted Image

#2 of 30 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,619 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted March 06 2004 - 05:11 AM

Hey Timothy! How are you?Posted Image

I loved Eternal Darkness. I thought it was a great game with great graphics and an excellent story. My only gripe, and a minor one at that, is that I thought it was very easy. It would have been the perfect game if it was just a bit more challenging.

Any word of a sequel?
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#3 of 30 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,194 posts

Posted March 06 2004 - 09:30 AM

Yeah, this game rocks. They really did develop the concept, but I'd love to see what a sequel does.

#4 of 30 OFFLINE   Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter

• 1,130 posts

Posted March 06 2004 - 09:34 AM

Played through half the game... Ended up getting sick of it, so I sold it and never finished it...

It was a decent game though...

#5 of 30 OFFLINE   Timothy Childers

Timothy Childers

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted March 06 2004 - 04:24 PM

Hey Tino... I've been good Posted Image Unfortunately... I would not expect a sequel anytime soon. While the game was highly acclaimed, not many copies sold due to a variety of reasons. Currently... Silicon Knights have been busy doing a remake of Metal Gear Solid on the cube... so who knows what their next project will be.

#6 of 30 OFFLINE   Dean Martin

Dean Martin

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted March 06 2004 - 05:47 PM

I've played it and it is not only my favorite Gamecube game but one of my top ten favorite games of this generation of consoles.

#7 of 30 OFFLINE   Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor

• 905 posts

Posted March 07 2004 - 05:48 AM

This was one of my favorite games on the cube. I hope they make a sequel for it.
"Do you think the average stormtrooper knows how to install a toilet main"?

#8 of 30 OFFLINE   DaveB

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator

• 194 posts

Posted March 07 2004 - 06:37 PM

I agree with Dean, it's one of the best of the current generation. If you overlooked this one, it's your loss.

#9 of 30 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,357 posts

Posted March 08 2004 - 01:22 AM

I'm playing it now - great game. Picked it up based on all the recommendations here. Nice atmosphere and intriguing story.

Also got a copy of Resident Evil - can't believe the graphic overall this game got for the Gamecube. It really adds to the atmosphere especially compared against the original version.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#10 of 30 OFFLINE   JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted March 08 2004 - 02:06 AM

Fun game, very atmospheric.

#11 of 30 OFFLINE   Krystian C

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted March 08 2004 - 03:02 AM

Enjoyed the first play through quite a bit. But damn did it get boring playing it through 2 more time for the uber ending. They should have changed things up a lot more for the other diety allignments. I would love to see a sequel, fingers crossed.

#12 of 30 OFFLINE   Timothy Childers

Timothy Childers

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted March 08 2004 - 03:26 AM

Sweet Lou!!! Glad to hear you are enjoying it!!! How much did ya pick it up for? I am sure it's a steal at it's current retail price. Posted Image How far are you in the game so far?... had any scares that have made ya jump? Playing this game with the lights out and the sound UP is a must! Posted Image

I certainly agree that the game could have been changed a bit when playing the game through each time under the different colors, Krystian. However, if you have not picked it up in a while... now is a great time... especially with the drought of games lately. I started playing it over on blue, and it seems a bit tougher than my first time through on red.

On another note, I find it truly amazing how detailed the graphics are in this game.... they stand up well... even a couple years later Posted Image

One last thing Lou... one Big difference between Resident Evil and Eternal Darkness... is the methods in which the games scare. RE tends to rely on things that make you jump... but what is great about ED... is that it REALLY starts to get to you after a while, get into your head which is really saying something about the thought put into the game.

#13 of 30 OFFLINE   Krystian C

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted March 08 2004 - 12:55 PM

Quote:
especially with the drought of games lately.

Good lord, where is the drought. With 007 EON, Ninja Gaiden, Final Fantasy: CC out now, and Splinter Cell 2, Breakdown and The Suffering coming in the next 2 weeks, if this is a drought, I don't know what I would do in a full blooming harvest.

#14 of 30 OFFLINE   Timothy Childers

Timothy Childers

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted March 09 2004 - 01:09 AM

What... No MGS:Twin Snakes or PSO3:CARD on yer list? Posted Image

#15 of 30 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted March 09 2004 - 03:23 AM

Another vote for an ED sequel. Really enjoyed the game, and am baffled as to why it didn't sell better. Then again, both Prince of Persia and Beyond good and Evil didn't sell all that well, so why should I be surprised that quality games are going unnoticed...
XBox Live Gamertag:ChrisBardon

#16 of 30 OFFLINE   George Monroy

George Monroy

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted March 09 2004 - 05:30 AM

They better make a sequel.

#17 of 30 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,194 posts

Posted March 09 2004 - 06:49 AM

The best part about this time of the year is that all the great games stand out more. Holiday season has too many, right now has a moderate amount with a few great ones.

#18 of 30 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,357 posts

Posted March 09 2004 - 07:16 AM

Timothy I wholeheartedly agree with your post. ED is much more aimed at getting into your head whereas RE is much visceral and aimed at your senses.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#19 of 30 OFFLINE   Timothy Childers

Timothy Childers

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted March 09 2004 - 08:00 AM

How far are you in the game at the moment Lou? Posted Image

One other Big difference between the RE and ED that I forgot to mention... is that Eternal Darkness has Top notch acting in the voice work, where Resident Evil has a cheesy, over the top horror flick thing going for it.

#20 of 30 OFFLINE   Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted March 09 2004 - 08:56 AM

I got a Cube for Christmas for $79 bucks and picked this game up used for about $14. This is a great game, and sounds great with surround sound. As far as games really getting in your head, this one does it for me.