Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Potentially Posivie News About Let's Scare Jessica To Death

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 of 69 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted March 05 2004 - 04:39 PM

i was in the bookstore tonight and happend across a book called something like Fangorias 101 best horror films you've never seen, and sure enough, they had a listing for LSJTD. for people that aren't familiar with this one, it is a nicely atmospheric thriller set in a rural rustic setting with a young lady who has just been released from an sanitarium. its right up at the top of films i would love to see on DVD, but it doesn't have an all star cast to exploit. but at the end of the books very positive write-up of the film, it does mention that a remake is being planned. the book has a copyright of 2003, so hopefully the remake is still on course. if so, a dvd release for the original would be almost a given. i really hope this comes to pass. i doubt i would care much about the new film, but if it brings the original to disc, thats good enough for me. anyone else have any more concrete news on this?

#2 of 69 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted March 05 2004 - 04:41 PM

once again my butterfingers get the best of me- can someone please correct the spellng of 'positive' in the thread title. :b

#3 of 69 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,517 posts

Posted March 06 2004 - 12:54 AM

I sure hope this gets released...I remember seeing it in the theater as a kid and it scared the crap outta me! BUt give it a decent treatment, not a quickie release with no extras.

#4 of 69 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted March 06 2004 - 12:59 AM

i'd take it any way i could get it, as long as it was OAR and looked decent. this movie used to get played regularly on late saturday night 'shock theater' out of Athens, Ga (i think) when i was a kid. caught up with it years later and was surprised to see how well made it actually was, and how well it held up.

#5 of 69 OFFLINE   GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor

• 555 posts

Posted May 12 2006 - 10:58 PM

Let's Scare Jessica to Death is being released on DVD by Paramount on August 29!!!

#6 of 69 OFFLINE   SteveJKo

SteveJKo

Second Unit

• 376 posts

Posted May 13 2006 - 01:50 AM

Just the poster used to give me the creeps as a kid. And it had that great tag line: "Something is after Jessica, something very cold, very wet, and very dead."
You're In The Show With Todd-AO!

#7 of 69 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted May 13 2006 - 05:08 AM

What's your source for that info, Gregory?

#8 of 69 OFFLINE   RoyM

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted May 13 2006 - 07:50 AM

Fantastic news, if accurate. This is one of my most eagerly awaited DVD's. One of the eeriest, most atmospheric horror films of the 1970's.

As for the remake, here are some details from Variety:

According to Variety, Paramount has tapped the writing team of Bennett Yellin and James Johnston to pen the horror screenplay Let's Scare Jessica for Christine Peters' CFP Prods.

Story centers on a fearless young man at a college in Colorado who, while pledging a frat, must prove his allegiance to the house by scaring his girlfriend into believing the college is haunted. The prank then takes on a life of its own.

Title's taken from the 1971 chiller Let's Scare Jessica to Death, in which a woman just released from a mental hospital tries to start over by moving into an old New England farmhouse.

Yellin's writing credits include Dumb And Dumber and Stuck on You.

The remake sounds pretty awful to me. And the choice of screenwriter confirms it. But hey, if it gets the original out on DVD, I won't complain.

#9 of 69 OFFLINE   GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor

• 555 posts

Posted May 13 2006 - 09:13 AM

this. But this is Paramount so they may cancel it at the last minute.

#10 of 69 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted May 13 2006 - 09:42 AM

That'll do! UPC and SRP. Great to see Paramount taking an interest in this title. Thier VHS was released - when? Early 90s? I hope that we see The Conformist; Ace in the Hole; Reds; The Naked Prey; If....; and many more, also, this year. Thanks, Gregory.

#11 of 69 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted May 13 2006 - 12:04 PM

gregory, you ROCK! sweeeeet!

#12 of 69 OFFLINE   Claude North

Claude North

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted May 13 2006 - 06:02 PM

Coincidence: News of the DVD release was posted to this thread on May 13, which is Zohra Lampert's birthday. Very good news indeed!

#13 of 69 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted May 13 2006 - 06:29 PM

great catch Gregory! I had a feeling this was coming this year, although end of August was a bit earlier than I was expecting. There was a Parmount thread going around a couple months ago where an insider mentioned this one was on tap. Unfortunately he couldn'tsay the same thing about Ace In the Hole or several others some of us were looking forward to as well. Still, this is great news. Can't wait to see this one again.

#14 of 69 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted May 14 2006 - 11:29 AM

Hey, that's great news!
I (among many others) have been singing this film's praises for quite a few years here at HTF, good to see that this is finally getting out there for people to judge for themselves whether it deserves said praise or not....(I know it deserves MY praise anyway....Remember how quite a few folks around here were less than agreeable with our years of praise for Suspiria after that finally got a DVD release....different strokes and all that.) Posted Image
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#15 of 69 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,411 posts

Posted May 14 2006 - 10:08 PM

I hope, as this title really does not promise a huge commercial success for Paramount, that other catalog titles we've been asking for for years will begin to surface. NAKED PREY ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS PHASE IV etc.

#16 of 69 OFFLINE   Justin_S

Justin_S

Producer

• 3,576 posts

Posted May 21 2006 - 11:30 AM

I definitely look forward to finally owning this one. My first order of business upon purchasing this disc will be to set myself down for a nice Let's Scare Jessica to Death/Carnival of Souls double feature.

#17 of 69 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted June 29 2006 - 03:04 PM

Posted Image

Anyone know if there'll be any extras?

#18 of 69 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted June 30 2006 - 03:42 AM

The original is creepy, creepy. I still have the poster, which I finagled out of the theater owner back in 1971.

#19 of 69 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted July 03 2006 - 08:28 AM

Can't find any details anywhere...

#20 of 69 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 03 2006 - 08:35 AM

we'd be lucky to get a trailer. As long as its OAR and the transfer is good (no EE) etc- I'll consider that a major accomplishment since Paramount has all but abandoned general catalog releases (save for the Batjac films and the re-releases).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users