Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Question about the Cyberhome CH-DVD300S

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Neil White

Neil White

Supporting Actor

• 552 posts

Posted March 05 2004 - 12:32 PM

I read a long time ago here at the HTF that the above is region free. Are new models being sold still region free? Do you have to do any hack? There's a stack on eBay all claiming region free capability but it's the same price at BB.com and I don't have to pay $25+ shipping at BB (what do they take me for). My guess is that this cheapy model has no scaling and that for correct sizing of R2 anamorphic etc etc but I only want a R2 player for playing some British TV on DVD (all 4x3). So, I have no need for the better featured $300 models out there. Thanks N

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Neil White

Neil White

Supporting Actor

• 552 posts

Posted March 07 2004 - 04:58 AM

Anyone?

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted March 14 2004 - 09:29 AM

Yes, I just picked one up yesterday from BB for $39.99. Leave tray empty, turn on, when it shows "No Disc" hit menu-1-9, use enter key to select region. Chris

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,390 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted March 15 2004 - 04:10 AM

I picked one up the other day too, about the same price at Wal-Mart in Canada, Feb./04 version (yes, they vary as to some features and playing ability apparently). I haven't even opened the box yet since I bought it for strictly non-R1/R0 play and I don't have any of those discs yet, but wanted to grab the player since they don't last long and they've been out of stock for ages. Anyway, check out nerd-out.com for all the info. If you have a WS TV there are no scaling problems, but if a 4x3 TV then anamorphic WS PAL will not scale properly to NTSC. Just about every PAL->NTSC player handles 4x3 PAL just fine, it's the other stuff that separates the pricier models. For casual use this player should do, but I have no doubt it will die quickly.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Neil White

Neil White

Supporting Actor

• 552 posts

Posted March 15 2004 - 08:11 AM

Thank you all! Off to BB ... on sale at $36.99 too, cool. Edit - actually, $36.99 at bb.com but $34.99 at the store when I picked-up. N

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users