What's new

The Thin Red Line.......Any Chance of a Special Edition Now?? (1 Viewer)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Seeing as how several of the films actors have gone on to much acclaim recently with their films (Sean Penn just winning an Oscar and being among Hollywood's most respected actors, Jim Caviezel being in Mel Gibson's massively successful "The Passion of the Christ", Adrien Brody winning an Oscar for "The Pianist", and John C. Reilly being a much bigger star now, and also many of the other actors who are still big names around Hollywood) and that the film hasn't much in the way of a special edition, I would think that it qualifies for such a release. Many parts of the film that were originally suppose to be in were cut, such as Billy Bob Thornton's +3 hour narration for the film, Bill Pullman, Lukas Haas, Viggo Mortensen, and Mickey Rourke scenes that were filmed and later cut, and that the original cut of the film was close to 6 hours, it makes you think what could I have been.

I think this is one of the more underrated films of the last 10 years, and had the unfortunate chance of coinciding with Saving Private Ryan the same year. I don't think the film is for everyone's taste, and people seemed to be split in their opinions on it. It certainly has many technical merits to it, such as John Toll's Oscar Nominated Cinematography that is some of the most beautiful I have seen in a film, Hans Zimmer's haunting and powerful score which is perhaps his best. Add to it the fact that Terrence Malick hadn't made a film in as many years when he made this. Its difficult to weigh in on the performances. You can say they are good in some places, but no one actor is given much screen time with the focus shifting from one to another. These are just my thoughts on the film itself.

The previous DVD releases have all been great in terms of audio/video, but had no supplements at all. I would hope Fox might revisit it someday, and put a special edition together that could give us both the theatrical version, and some kind of extended version with many of the cut scenes put back in. They could include commentaries (one from Malick would be amazing, but him being the reclusive type, I wouldn't count on it), interviews, deleted scenes, comparisons between the film and the novel, documentaries, and so on. No plans seem to have been made so far as I've heard, but anything could change.

I just think that since they put massive amounts of effort, time, and money into the Alien Quadrilogy and many of their other releases that they could do this film some justice. These are just my thoughts on it, and I think many would agree.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I would love to see a 6 hour cut. Video and audio quality are most important to me, extras aren't a necessity. Please bring it on, Fox!

Miles

Second Unit
I'd have to agree on a few points:

- When this film came out at the same time as SPR people couldn't get over the fact that this wasn't just another war movie. Although I like SPR, the story wasn't anything special, it was just more graphic than recent war movies.

- Just about everything in the movie was well done (direction, acting, score, cinematography). It just doesn't have a traditional story line. For me, it's more of a mood movie...

- I also don't think we'll see a great special edition. But it would be great to see the 6 hour cut.

I'd also love for this to be released on D-VHS... :)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Isn't Terrence Malick one of those anti-special edition directors? I thought I read somewhere that the reason the trailer isn't included on the dvd is that he doesn't want anyone to ever see the deleted footage from the movie, some of which was in the trailer.

I'd love to be wrong and see a longer cut of the movie, though :)

Matt_P

Second Unit
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The Thin Red Line is my favorite film--not necessarily the best film ever made, but my personal favorite (just look at my sig for proof....).

Josh went through the merits of the film quite nicely.

The theatrical trailer (the one with the cast shots cut to the clapping of the Melanesian choir) is one of the best trailers I've seen, and can still be seen online. One of the earlier trailers does include cut footage.

A multi-disc Thin Red Line with alternate cuts, deleted scenes, docs and commentaries (and more!) is my ultimate dream DVD release. Good point about the film's actors being big stars now--C'mon Fox, let's make this one happen!!!!

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
Yeah, I think Malick is an anti-special features kind of a guy.

As for a six hour version--well, Fox did release the Alien 3 workprint, maybe they'll do a TRL one too . . .

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I think there would be enough interest to justify a special edition, but I don't think it will happen unless Malick is willing.

I think the teaser has portions of the Bill Pullman narration, which would be interesting to see. All the trailers for the film are excellent and if we do happen to get a special edition I hope they are included.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Let's not forget Miranda Otto. :b

As I said in an earlier thread, I'd love to see an SE, but I just don't see it happening, since Malick doesn't seem to be interested.

If an SE were to come out, I could see deleted scenes with actors not in the film, but I highly doubt the 6 hour cut will be made availible.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Miranda Otto, where have I seen her lately? :)

I also recall some footage in the trailers having more scenes of George Clooney.

And I also remember that Martin Sheen and Jason Patric also were in the Solomons and Queensland during the shoot, but their scenes also did not make it.

The film is alot like Apocalypse Now in some regards. Although it would be hard to compare the two, the difficult shoot along with much of its scenes not being included and coming out the same time as SPR makes one think of the film that could have been. I wonder how it would have been received had it come out 6 or 8 months earlier and been marketed differently.

Also, John Cusack had one of the larger parts in the film as well. And lets not forget Nick Nolte or Woody Harrelson. I won't even mention John Travolta's part. Also, Jared Leto had a small part, as did Thomas Jane, soon to be seen in "The Punisher."

I doubt he would ever see a 6 hour cut of the film. If they wont release the full 5 hour or so cut of Apocalypse Now then they sure won't do a 6 hour cut. Not that fans wouldn't want to see it, but I would think it would be too expensive an endeavor to undertake. I could see a 3-4 hour cut.

Fox went ahead with the Alien: 3 cuts for the Quadrilogy without David Fincher's support at all, and while it did not make it a better film, I personally could see the direction he was going with it. However, that was marred by so many problems I won't even go into it since its been discussed to death here before, and then resurrected and beaten to death again.

Viewing TTRL I see it as an incomplete film. So much seems missing and unfinished that an extra 3 hours of footage must contain the meat of what we didn't see. I'm sure they expand the film in many aspects, and if we cant see them in finished form in the film, then as deleted scenes they would suffice. I also recall that the script had Adrien Brody's character as one of the strongest characters, but he barely speaks a word in the film.

Fox could do much with this film if done properly and wit the right amount of time and effort. They could do docs about the actual battle is is based on, about the shoot itself (over 100 days of shooting and over 1 million feet of film), perhaps something on Director Malick, thoughts from the cast and crew, and I'm sure many other features. I think when it came out, is was not handled well by the studio. (it was released by Fox 2000, which no longer exists if I recall). I don't think they knew what to make of it and how to promote it, so they tried to market it based on star power, but since no one actor held the most screen time, SPR came out a few months before, its near 3 hour run time, and as I recall not much in the way of support from the cast or Director, I can see why the film was not destined for success. Does anyone even know if Malick showed up at the oscars? (he was nominated for Director and Screenplay).

I would welcome any special edition that does justice to this underrated film. I'm sure film schools and viewers will see this as a sort of classic in the years to come, and help build its fan base. Until then, Fox has a chance to capitalize on its cast's current success (although I don't always agree with them to do a special edition just because many of its stars careers are blossoming. It is a good way to get some films recognized again and for better DVD editions, but mostly at the expense of the actors fame).

Malick if I recall wrote the screenplay for a film called "Beautiful Country" which stars Nick Nolte and is about one of the consequences of America's involvement in the Vietnam war, which was the children of GI's by their Vietnamese wives and lovers. Seems alot like Oliver Stone's Heaven and Earth in some ways, but still might be good.

Malick is also set to begin production on the film "Che" starring Benicio Del Toro, Benjamin Bratt, and Franka Potente. It will obviously be about the Argentine revolutionary Che Guevara. Malick is set to write and direct the film, who took over when Steven Soderbergh dropped out so Malick could direct.

I hope that Fox can revisit some of its films to help make them into much more better special editions. I'm still waiting for special editions of John Woo's Broken Arrow and True Lies, which I feel will never see a bette edition for some time. Their are also many others that could do with an upgrade, but for now I would put The Thin Red Line at the top of that list.

Mark_Sparks

Agent
Just like MattP said, this is also my favorite film. I collected all of the "For your Consideration" oscar adds a few years ago and have them framed. I also have the "video" poster (27x40 dvd cover), which I have not seen to this day. All in all pretty much obsessed.

Anywho...I tried to ask Peter from FOX on the last HT chat if there would be a special edition, but it didn't go through. I'm surprised nobody has asked him that question is the past chats.

Also Malick is beginning production on his new flick with Benicio Del Toro in the lead with a fairly good cast.
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0374569/

So maybe something will happen with this in production.

mark

Kevin Sharp

Stunt Coordinator
Add another vote.

And Richard, the whiskey Bill Murray is hawking in LOST IN TRANSLATION is Santori (in your siganture). Speaking of LIT, that and Thin Red Line are really cut from the same cloth -- the plots aren't necessarily outstanding, but the rewards are plentiful in all other areas.

Mark_Sparks

Agent
Can't we put together a petition or something? At least get FOX's attention this is a must for a lot of dvd fans.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I agree. Its easy to see what each film is about while neither really explains. I found people who loved both of these films, but also didn't at the same time. People are going to be affected in different way on each. You don't have to be a fan of war films to like TTRL. But then its hard to classify it as anything but (its about war yes, but also about nature, God, life, death, courage, insanity, hipocricy, and humanity).

I admit I didn't understand it as much at first, but it improves with repeat viewings and I know its gathering a fan base.

Some films have been improved upon with expanded editions, but many will argue about adding newer scenes to existing films, which is why I think an elaborate edition with the theatrical cut and an extended version would be the best way to go. In terms of what scenes could be put back in is anyones guess. With films like Apocalypse Now and Alien: 3 for example we know what wasn't included and what scenes existed that could be put back in, but does anyone know what scenes were cut from TTRL other than what's been discussed?

A petition would be a great idea, but we have to know what to ask for and what should be included. I think without the Director's involvement it would greatly affect a newer edition of ever being released.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Does anyone know how other Region DVDs compare to the R1 versions, or if they have plans for a special edition?

Matt_P

Second Unit
Nice to see some more support!

Hopefully, Mr. Staddon from Fox will see this thread and chime in.

KylePete

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with everyone....I would love to see an SE DVD of this movie.

Also, I know this has been discussed in another thread, but which current DVD version contains the DTS and DD tracks? Everyone seemed to say that the Fox War Classics version was it, but on Amazon.com they did not list DTS.

Matt_P, do you know where one could find that trailer online?

Kyle

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
The Fox War Classics does indead have the DTS track. If you buy it, it has the DTS logo on the spine at he top, and its listed on the back under the specs.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The theatrical trailer for THIN RED LINE is available on one of Fox's other DVD's... can't remember which, but I've seen it.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Another interesting thing to note re: the original 6-hour "work-print" version of THE THIN RED LINE as well as its screenplay- Adrien Brody WAS THE MAIN CHARACTER. In the final film, he's been reduced to barely a cameo.

I'd almost like to see the outtakes be assembled into a completely different film that "compliments" the current cut of THE THIN RED LINE, as opposed to having new scenes added to the current version of the film. There certainly are enough characters and scenes on the cutting room floor that something interesting (and feature-length) could be put together using just the cut scenes, and the 1998-film could remain as it is.

Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks