What's new

Confirmed: Spielberg alters "E.T." (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I got the DVD for The Grinch today, and at the start, it includes a trailer for the 2002 theatrical reissue of E.T. In one of the clips, the government agents indeed are seen with CEL PHONES instead of their original rifles. The snippet's too brief to tell how absurd this will look in the finished film, but I wanted to note that this change is no longer a rumor - it's a fact...
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I thought ut had been a fact for a long time. It was reported several months ago that the weapons would someohow be removed. Thanks for confirming.
This is such a minor issue that I really don't care much, but I think it's a mistake.
/Mike

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
See...this is exactly the kind of thing that used to make me hate Spielberg. This is shameless.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Attention Steven Speilberg:
NO SALE NO SALE NO SALE NO SALE.
smiley_puke.gif

Who's with me on a boycott of the DVD and re-release?
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here
[Edited last by Rain on October 17, 2001 at 06:56 PM]

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
And here is the films re-release poster.
et20th_poster3ifs7.jpg

I found this Link Removed .
Neil
------------------
"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
I understand you guys being pissed but it is Steven's movie not yours.
I for one can't wait to take my four year old Daughter to see this movie. I think she will absolutely love it. I am more excited about taking her to see this movie than I have ever been excited about seeing a movie for myself.
Kevin C. :)

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I don't like this sort of thing myself (editing movies frivolous reasons such as avoiding offending people) but on the other hand at least this is being done by the film-maker not a studio or other third party. If Spielberg thinks it was a mistake to have the guns in the scene in the first place and now has the ability to change it I suppose it's his prerogative to do so, not matter how silly it is.
This is not changing any fundamentals of the film here folks, this is a few seconds of some extras in the back-ground of the shot. Some people play this up because it pushes a hot-button issue for them, but are over-reacting IMO.
------------------
-- Will Work for Five Million Dollars

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
The removal of the "You look like a terrorist." line indicates to me that many of the changes are for the sake of political correctness, not changes intended to better realize the original vision. (No I don't intend to start that debate again!!!)
Hopefully, there will be enough in there to better realize the original vision that it will greatly overshadow the changes being made that detract from it.
With every change like this, this gets closer and closer to being a no see/no buy for me.
------------------
My DVD's
If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

FilipM

Stunt Coordinator
LOL, thats really pathetic......
At least now we know why the Indiana Jones movies are delayed. He's taking all those nasty guns out, but isn't sure what to replace them with since there weren't cell phones in the 1930s.
rolleyes.gif

I can't wait for a new SE "Revised" SPR either. :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Speilberg OK'd the change, so that's fine with me.
If it was Universal doing it without Speilberg's word, I'd support a boycott.
This movie IS a family movie, so I think the removal of the guns is appropriate. Besides, I really think it was a dumb thing in the first place...why the hell would a cop point a gun at a CHILD? This is different from the Disney censorship because the Disney's were edited without the original directors' word.
It's the only new cut (I think the terriorist line should stay, it's funny.) and it'll only last a few seconds!
If you want the original scene it, you're only saying that you like seeing guns being pointed at un-armed children.
This isn't about censorship, this is about people wanting control over a director's film instead of the director.
I'll enjoy the 16x9, DTS DVD with extras while those who want a cop pointing a gun at a child get the old laserdisc.
I can't wait to pre-order this!
[Edited last by PatrickMcCart on October 17, 2001 at 08:00 PM]
[Edited last by PatrickMcCart on October 18, 2001 at 06:22 AM]
[Edited last by PatrickMcCart on October 18, 2001 at 06:28 AM]

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Well then this begs the question... 80s 'size of a brick' cell phones, or 90s ones in an 80s enviroment throwing the whole movie's set period out of whack?
Dan (UK)
PS: Guys, dont forget the terorist line was removed long ago and has not appeared in many subsequent home video releases.

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
Good call Dan! 'doh...pun not intended
biggrin.gif

I agree, it's a minor change. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I'm still looking forward to seeing it on the big screen again!
if memory serve's, I think the gun issue was brought up back in 1982 when the film was released...many parent's thought it was inapropriate to have gov. agents pointing firearms at children...I thought it was just a movie, I was 12 at the time.
Jim
patriot.gif

[Edited last by Jim Bivins on October 17, 2001 at 08:01 PM]

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
When was the 'terrrorist' line taken out? the only video copy I have is first VHS release, and I think I gave it to my sister.
I'm thinking of picking up the LD special edition from a few years ago, was that changed?
thanks
Jim
patriot.gif

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Well then this begs the question... 80s 'size of a brick' cell phones, or 90s ones in an 80s enviroment throwing the whole movie's set period out of whack?
On further review, they looked like walkie-talkies. Dunno if they're cel phones of those dimensions or actual walkie-talkies, but they're neither small nor huge...
For the record, this is NOT the only new change being made. The trailer touts "never-before-seen footage" and updated special effects. I have the feeling this version will be similar to what Lucas did for the Star Wars SEs...
In addition, there's a new website dedicated to the re-release: http://www.et20.com Nothing there right now, though...
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks