Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Confirmed: Spielberg alters "E.T."

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
235 replies to this topic

#1 of 236 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,197 posts

Posted October 17 2001 - 10:57 AM

I got the DVD for The Grinch today, and at the start, it includes a trailer for the 2002 theatrical reissue of E.T. In one of the clips, the government agents indeed are seen with CEL PHONES instead of their original rifles. The snippet's too brief to tell how absurd this will look in the finished film, but I wanted to note that this change is no longer a rumor - it's a fact...

------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide

www.dvdmg.com
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#2 of 236 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,418 posts

Posted October 17 2001 - 11:16 AM

NO SALE for me. Spielberg, you are a revisionist idiot on this one.

#3 of 236 MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted October 17 2001 - 11:27 AM

I thought ut had been a fact for a long time. It was reported several months ago that the weapons would someohow be removed. Thanks for confirming.

This is such a minor issue that I really don't care much, but I think it's a mistake.

/Mike
/Mike

#4 of 236 Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit

• 451 posts
  • LocationCastaic, CA

Posted October 17 2001 - 11:38 AM

He's also taken out the line where the Mom says "You look like a terrorist."

#5 of 236 Wes Ray

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor

• 508 posts

Posted October 17 2001 - 11:47 AM

See...this is exactly the kind of thing that used to make me hate Spielberg. This is shameless.

#6 of 236 Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted October 17 2001 - 11:49 AM

Attention Steven Speilberg:
NO SALE NO SALE NO SALE NO SALE.

Posted Image

Who's with me on a boycott of the DVD and re-release?

------------------
Posted Image
"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here

[Edited last by Rain on October 17, 2001 at 06:56 PM]
"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#7 of 236 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,200 posts

Posted October 17 2001 - 11:53 AM

And here is the films re-release poster.

Posted Image

I found this here .

Neil

------------------

"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

#8 of 236 Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted October 17 2001 - 11:57 AM

Colin, please post a picture of our cellphone wielding friends

Jeff Kleist

#9 of 236 Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted October 17 2001 - 11:58 AM

I understand you guys being pissed but it is Steven's movie not yours.

I for one can't wait to take my four year old Daughter to see this movie. I think she will absolutely love it. I am more excited about taking her to see this movie than I have ever been excited about seeing a movie for myself.

Kevin C. Posted Image

#10 of 236 CharlesD

CharlesD

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted October 17 2001 - 12:01 PM

I don't like this sort of thing myself (editing movies frivolous reasons such as avoiding offending people) but on the other hand at least this is being done by the film-maker not a studio or other third party. If Spielberg thinks it was a mistake to have the guns in the scene in the first place and now has the ability to change it I suppose it's his prerogative to do so, not matter how silly it is.

This is not changing any fundamentals of the film here folks, this is a few seconds of some extras in the back-ground of the shot. Some people play this up because it pushes a hot-button issue for them, but are over-reacting IMO.

------------------
-- Will Work for Five Million Dollars

#11 of 236 AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted October 17 2001 - 12:08 PM

The removal of the "You look like a terrorist." line indicates to me that many of the changes are for the sake of political correctness, not changes intended to better realize the original vision. (No I don't intend to start that debate again!!!)

Hopefully, there will be enough in there to better realize the original vision that it will greatly overshadow the changes being made that detract from it.

With every change like this, this gets closer and closer to being a no see/no buy for me.

------------------
My DVD's

If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

#12 of 236 FilipM

FilipM

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted October 17 2001 - 12:08 PM

LOL, thats really pathetic......

At least now we know why the Indiana Jones movies are delayed. He's taking all those nasty guns out, but isn't sure what to replace them with since there weren't cell phones in the 1930s. Posted Image

I can't wait for a new SE "Revised" SPR either. Posted Image

#13 of 236 Luis A

Luis A

Second Unit

• 417 posts

Posted October 17 2001 - 12:24 PM

Well I hate to say this, but NO SALE! What a shame. L

#14 of 236 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,456 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted October 17 2001 - 12:39 PM

Speilberg OK'd the change, so that's fine with me.

If it was Universal doing it without Speilberg's word, I'd support a boycott.

This movie IS a family movie, so I think the removal of the guns is appropriate. Besides, I really think it was a dumb thing in the first place...why the hell would a cop point a gun at a CHILD? This is different from the Disney censorship because the Disney's were edited without the original directors' word.

It's the only new cut (I think the terriorist line should stay, it's funny.) and it'll only last a few seconds!

If you want the original scene it, you're only saying that you like seeing guns being pointed at un-armed children.

This isn't about censorship, this is about people wanting control over a director's film instead of the director.

I'll enjoy the 16x9, DTS DVD with extras while those who want a cop pointing a gun at a child get the old laserdisc.

I can't wait to pre-order this!

[Edited last by PatrickMcCart on October 17, 2001 at 08:00 PM]

[Edited last by PatrickMcCart on October 18, 2001 at 06:22 AM]

[Edited last by PatrickMcCart on October 18, 2001 at 06:28 AM]

#15 of 236 Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher

Producer

• 3,452 posts

Posted October 17 2001 - 12:48 PM

Well then this begs the question... 80s 'size of a brick' cell phones, or 90s ones in an 80s enviroment throwing the whole movie's set period out of whack?

Dan (UK)

PS: Guys, dont forget the terorist line was removed long ago and has not appeared in many subsequent home video releases.

#16 of 236 Jim Bivins

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator

• 154 posts

Posted October 17 2001 - 01:00 PM

Good call Dan! 'doh...pun not intended Posted Image

I agree, it's a minor change. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I'm still looking forward to seeing it on the big screen again!

if memory serve's, I think the gun issue was brought up back in 1982 when the film was released...many parent's thought it was inapropriate to have gov. agents pointing firearms at children...I thought it was just a movie, I was 12 at the time.

Jim
Posted Image

[Edited last by Jim Bivins on October 17, 2001 at 08:01 PM]

#17 of 236 Jim Bivins

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator

• 154 posts

Posted October 17 2001 - 01:04 PM

When was the 'terrrorist' line taken out? the only video copy I have is first VHS release, and I think I gave it to my sister.

I'm thinking of picking up the LD special edition from a few years ago, was that changed?

thanks
Jim
Posted Image

#18 of 236 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,197 posts

Posted October 17 2001 - 01:11 PM

Darned double post!

[Edited last by Colin Jacobson on October 17, 2001 at 08:21 PM]
Colin Jacobson

#19 of 236 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,197 posts

Posted October 17 2001 - 01:19 PM

Quote:
I thought ut had been a fact for a long time. It was reported several months ago that the weapons would someohow be removed.

Spielberg stated that he wanted to do this at least five years ago, when he indicated his desire on the Collector's Edition LD. However, I think this is the first proof we have that he DID do it...

Quote:
Colin, please post a picture of our cellphone wielding friends

I'd be happy to do so if I knew how! (Yes, I work on a website, but I'm just a writer - I'm totally clueless about the other stuff.) I know how to do a screengrab, but I have no clue how to post it here...

Quote:
Well then this begs the question... 80s 'size of a brick' cell phones, or 90s ones in an 80s enviroment throwing the whole movie's set period out of whack?

On further review, they looked like walkie-talkies. Dunno if they're cel phones of those dimensions or actual walkie-talkies, but they're neither small nor huge...

For the record, this is NOT the only new change being made. The trailer touts "never-before-seen footage" and updated special effects. I have the feeling this version will be similar to what Lucas did for the Star Wars SEs...

In addition, there's a new website dedicated to the re-release: http://www.et20.com Nothing there right now, though...

------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide

www.dvdmg.com
Colin Jacobson

#20 of 236 Jim Bivins

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator

• 154 posts

Posted October 17 2001 - 01:23 PM

damn! double post