What's new

Denon DVD-3900? (1 Viewer)

eryn shannon

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking of buying the Denon DVD-2900 but I heard that they will be coming out with the DVD-3900 this summer. Now I'm contemplating waiting for the 3900. Has anyone else heard about this and will it have a digital video output (DVI or HDMI). Thanks!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I have heard about it, and I have heard that it's coming out this year, but other than that, nada. I'm deciding between this guy and after when the firmware to the 5900 has been upgraded.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, KC, the 5900 is Secerts of Home Theater's DVD player of '03.
And that's w/o the upgrade!!!
It's one SMOKIN' DVD.
Only thing's it's missing for me is balanced output's & a 'universal' digital link.
Although, it does have a Denon digital link to hook up with a AVR-5803.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member

Is that an official "scoop" ? Or are you just putting that label on it based on all the kudos so far? :) Wouldn't surprise me none though either...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I didn't see anywhere where they actually called it best of the year, but it tested at the top of the pack.

Simon Ngan

Stunt Coordinator
What firmware upgrade for the 5900? Is that the one for activating DVI? Or there's a newer one now? I bought one for Christmas 2003 and oh yeah, I love this baby :)

Thanks,

Simon

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Lewis- Seriously, for some of us, that's the dilemna! ;)

I don't think the 3900 will have quite the build quality of the 5900, but I bet it won't have the macroblocking problem or the slow menus either.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
The firmware upgrade thats should come out really soon will fix the macroblocking and the slow menus.

It was confirm by DenonJeff and by Kris Deering that is testing the beta version right now. It will fix the firewire port also. So those will be non-issues.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If they just came out with a 2900 with no chroma bug or 3-2 alt problem, I'd buy it (though I don't really see CUE even with my 2200). Keep the same menus, and add the MC bass management from the 2200 :D

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Lévesque- I know. :) I was maybe too obtusely alluding to the fact that whatever the fixes are that Denon implements for the 5900, they will already be incoporated into the 3900 by the time it ships.

I also bet that that's what the 3900 ends up to be: a 2900 "mk II". With maybe a slightly beefier build.

Mike Gl

Stunt Coordinator
I have been unhappy from the first day with the transport noise and vibration in my Denon 2200 purchased two weeks ago. This is disappointing since the video and audio are a significant upgrade from my Toshiba 6200. I am now considering the Denon 2900.

My dealer agreed to allow a return for a different player, but is permitting me to keep the Denon 2200 as a loaner for now. This level of service is one of the reasons I bought locally for close to MSRP.

I asked the dealer about the Denon 3900. After checking with his contact at Denon, he reported there is a Denon 3910 that will be released in July with a MSRP of $1300. He did not have any other details.

Bob*S

Stunt Coordinator

There better be a "3210" or something to go along with that 3910. People don't expect to have to pay more for a player than they do for a new receiver like the 3805 just to get that proprietary connection. If word gets out that there will not be a less expensive option with Denonlink, Denon can watch the 1394 competition eat its lunch.....both receivers and players.

Bob

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Well put Bob.They also need to enable SACD through the Denon Link if they wanna stay in competition.

Bob*S

Stunt Coordinator

Lewis-

Absolutely right! And it is still unclear whether Sony will give Denon a waiver since they cannot meet the SACD specifications (no way to exchange keys on a one-way link, unless Denonlink 3 is now bi-directional).

The 3805 is a very appealing unit to me in most every way but I think Denon made a poor choice not to use 1394. Unless they can provide Denonlink solutions at a lower cost, there is little reason to choose their products over other multi-channel analog or 1394 solutions and Denonlink will appear to be a dead end. When you consider the engineering costs to develop their own solution, I have to believe that Denon is kicking itself for not going with the standard.

Bob

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
It seems to me that if Denon introduces a player with the number "3900" that their purpose/intent would be for it to be an improved 3800, as follows:

- Stay with Silicon Image deinterlacing same as 3800

- Add SACD support like 3800 (and 9000) was rumored to have
but didn't

- Have no Y/C Delay like they had to eliminate from the 3800
on later builds

- Use a good tranport so no skipping unlike early 3800's
that was fixed on later builds

- Same build quality as the 3800 (better than 2900 but not
quite 9000 or 5900 class)

- 8MB video frame buffer up from 3800's 4M buffer

- About the same MSRP as the 3800 was ($1200)

- Lightening quick menus like the 3800

- Maybe DVI-X and/or HDXX unlike the 3800 but using a
separate chip for the required fixed pixel display
scaling since it's not built into the Silicon Imaging
deinterlacing chip like it is on the 5900's Faroudja
deinterlacing chip

- Gain on the SW audio channel not 10dB down by design like
it was on the 3800 and 9000

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks