What's new

My TV wont stop hissing at me! (1 Viewer)

Matt Pep

Auditioning
I don't know which forum to post this in so I'll put it here.

I just got a new Panasonic 53" Widescreen TV from Best Buy. I hook up everything that I used to have on my 27 incher. My cable box, dvd player and most importantly my beloved Tivo, which I've named Barnabus (not that his name matters).

My problem is that I have a horrible hissing sound coming out of my TV. It's completely unbearable. Some people can hear it easily and others have to really try to hear it. Those that can hear it can't stand it. It's almost the kind of hissing that you can FEEL more than you can hear. It's so bad that sometimes it upsets my stomach if I watch TV too long.

---------------------------
Here is my setup:

Wall to splitter.

Splitter output 1 to cable modem.

Splitter output 2 to TV input 1.

TV split out to cable box output.
cable box out to Tivo input via composite cables

Tivo input to TV input 2
Tivo output to TV video 1 input via s-video
--------------------------------

This setup allows me to use PIP. One picture is the TV 1 input (no tivo) and the other picture is the video 1 input (tivo enabled). I love this because now I can tivo something and watch TV at the same time.

So...when I watch the regular TV I get the hissing but its not really that bad. But when I switch to the Tivo input, its very bad.

Now, its a lot worse overall on some channels than others. ESPN is horrible, ESPN 2 is a little better, NBC is almost fine. Some channels are good, some stink.

I even bought a cable TV amplifier and it didnt help at all.

Some notes:

When I mute the TV, hissing gone

When I go into Tivo menus, hissing gone

When I pause the Tivo, hissing gone

Xbox on component input 1 works fine, no hissing.

DVD player on componenet input 2 works fine, no hissing.

Any help/advice/dramamine would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Q

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Matt,

Your signal flow doesn’t make sense:

Now you’re sending one input to another. Again, how to you expect this to work?

It all may be academic anyway. Since it’s a brand-new TV, and very large at that, I expect you have an in-house service agreement? Just have them come out and look at it. If they try to tell you “There’s nothing wrong with it,” or “There’s nothing we can do,” then you fortunately have the option to return it and get something else.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Matt Pep

Auditioning
Wayne,

Yes my TV has 2 inputs AND a split output. What it does, from my understanding, is take the signal from the wall to the TV. Then the "split out" basically splits the signal from the tv to your next input, which is my cable box, which goes to my tivo and then back to my TV through antenna 2.

Heck, at least thats what the manual said to do. Didn't make much sense to me either.

I'm going to double, er triple, er quadruple check everything again tonight.

Abe Rodrigue

Stunt Coordinator
Matt, is the hiss all of the time, or just on the "S"'s?
I have the same problem, but just on the "S"'s. If anyone has an answer please help us.

Thank you.

Matt Pep

Auditioning
its always. Its not that kind of hiss. This is a piercing hiss that you can really FEEL in your ears as much as you can hear it.

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
Just a thought, but the Cable amp might be making the problem worse, not better. Dunno if you've tried it without the amp...

You've probably tried this, but you might want to break the system down and add in things individually and see where the problem "starts". You'll find your culprit pretty quickly this way.

Kevin*H

Stunt Coordinator
Why not send the signal fom the wall to a Two-way splitter
(from radio shack) which will split the signal to your TV and Cable box and from the CB to your TIVO

Matt Pep

Auditioning
I've tried it without the amp, its the same.

I've broken it down into every possible combination, and the hissing is still there. It's not as bad when it goes directly from the TV to the wall, but its still there. Going through the cable box and Tivo just makes it worse.

It already is going to a splitter.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler

No, Kevin is asking why you are running a loop through your TV. Instead of:

wall -> splitter -> TV -> Cable box -> TiVo -> TV

why not:

wall -> splitter -> Cable box -> TiVo -> TV

Maybe the way you're looping the connection to the TV is causing a problem.

Matt Pep

Auditioning
ok well...i lowered my cable box volume and it helps a lot.

BUT I have to lower it to about 25%. Now my volume is too damn low, even on full blast.

Something is wrong.

John.W

Agent
What I had to do in my bedroom was to set the cable box's audio out to Fixed ( optimum ) then i just go volume up and down on the tv. No more hiss

Doug MacGregor

Stunt Coordinator
Matt, I would suggest doing what Wayne said.
Connect your components one at a time and determine if there is any hiss from that component.
The hardest thing is to try and determine which component is causing the problem if there are 3 or 4 of them.
Believe me, it will be time well spent.

Abe Rodrigue

Stunt Coordinator
thanks guys, I checked the volume on my cable box, and low and behold it was cranked!! Thanks again, I would have never checked it otherwise.

Matt Pep

Auditioning
It was my cable box. I got digital cable today and its fine, thanks to the new box. Some channels are still a little loud but I'll fix that some other time.

Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks