Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Does anyone remember a speaker company called Phase research?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Tim Stumpf

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted March 03 2004 - 08:48 AM

This is my first post. I've been lurking for about a month and acutually was able to make decisions about what speakers to purchase for my small HT after reading these forums. Great information. My question is does anyone out there remember a speaker company called Phase Research? I bought a pair of their tower speakers around 1980 and I have always loved the way they have sounded. I heard somewhere that the factory burned down and the company was sort of scattered to the wind. If you have ever heard these speakers, what did you think of them? I guess I'm trying to validate a decision I made 20 years ago. I was wondering if I could still trust my ears. They sound great with recently purchased equipment.

#2 of 11 Craig Chase

Craig Chase

Screenwriter

• 1,453 posts

Posted March 03 2004 - 09:13 AM

I actually sold Phase Research speakers next to Infinity and Bose from 1980-1981... They were excellent... a mini-tower (or big bookshelf depending on who you asked...) and a full tower... both two way with transmission line bass, 8 inch bass drivers... and 1 1/4 in softdome tweeters...

They were fantastic... I sold my towers to a coworker in 1988, and in 2000 he still had and loved them...

Great bass ... nice !
Craig Chase

#3 of 11 padg

padg

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted May 13 2008 - 10:05 PM

I remember them. gr8 speakers! I had a pair of the 2-way floor standers model RT. Tweeters were super heavy and made in Switzerland, 8" long throw woofer with a seriuos transmission-line bass. Mirror imaged, phase aligned; these speakers blew away much more expensive ones. Played deep, tight bass; great mids and highs. I heard the same as you about what happened to the company. Shame, really. Did you know all components in their crossovers were hand-selected and impedance-matched specifically for the particular driver going into the cabinet, ie slight variations in speaker characteristics were accounted for so all Phase Research's speakers were consistent. Impressive. Wish I still had mine, but the butyl rubber surrounds wore out and I never did replace the woofers... wish I had of though.
The taller 3-way system had either the tweeter or mid-range sitting atop the cabinet and was the model RT/A.

#4 of 11 Martino

Martino

Supporting Actor

• 594 posts
  • LocationSanta Clara, CA

Posted May 16 2008 - 03:21 AM

"I was wondering if I could still trust my ears. They sound great with recently purchased equipment."

With any speaker, always let your ears be the judge. If you are happy with them, then you made the correct decision. I'm glad you got so many years of good use from your purchase.

#5 of 11 Audiophile54

Audiophile54

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 12 2009 - 02:34 PM

hi,
am new to the forum and was surprised to see someone still talking about phare research speakers. phil clements is the name of the designer of these superb speakers, i owned a pair of the little-d's, and now own a pair of the towers, model rt. i have friends in NYS who still own alot of phils speakers and not one has ever been sorry they bought them over the major names of those times back in the late 70's, early 80's. for anyone who still owns them, phil gave us one recommendation to keep them sounding as good as the day you bought them. every 6 months unscrew the woofers and turn them 180 degree's in the screwholes, as gravity tends to make the magnets of the voice coil eventually sag, and rub in the assembly. doing this every 6 months makes them last years longer and keeps the sound quality of them as new as possible. i also know the rep who used to sell phils speakers, but i have not been in contact with him in the years since i left NYS. the last i heard phil went out of business after designing the followups to his phase research company, calling them clements loudspeakers. if you're able to find phil and he still designs and sells speakers, buy them! you will find nothing that can match them in quality and sound for 3 times the money. my last contact info for him is:
Philip Clements
3450 W Baylor Ln
Chandler, AZ 85226-7600
President of Clements Loudspeakers

the url link i have is no longer active, but if you want to save it in case it once again becomes available it's :
Clements-prc.com

#6 of 11 padg

padg

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted May 22 2009 - 12:54 PM

Just got off the phone w/ Phil Clements @ Solus Audio and he said he thought he'd have a new spin on the old Phase Research RT-7's probably available in the fall. Yee ha!

#7 of 11 padg

padg

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted May 22 2009 - 01:08 PM

Spoke with Phil Clements himself this afternoon and he assured me a new spin on the old Phase Research RT-7's would be available in the fall.
Terry Wilson Antler Designs

#8 of 11 padg

padg

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted May 22 2009 - 01:09 PM

should be www. solusaudio.com, don't know why link isn't working at present.

#9 of 11 bruceif

bruceif

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted May 21 2010 - 06:03 PM

I learned more about Phase Research in the past 10 minutes than I have in decades.  I  had a pair of rt's I believe.  I loved them. I must have bought them around 1975. Was testing a cassette deck through the speakers and bought both. A very natural sound.  Closing your eyes, you couldn't tell how big they were (as a friend pointed out).   Now I know why.  I also now know what happened to the company.

Unfortunately, my pair were stolen from storage after I shipped them to Massachusetts from California.  That was over 20 years ago.    I still miss them.  My replacements are okay (Heybrook), but don't match up.

Thank you for all the information.  I will look up Phil Clemens.

#10 of 11 cordroad

cordroad

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 01 2010 - 01:48 PM

Wow, I couldn't believe I found some folk that know about Phase Research speakers.  I have a pair of 2 ways marked ARxxxx and BRxxxx, think the woofers are 8".  I bought them new in 1980 so my memory is a little fuzzy.  The surrounds of the bass drivers went bad about 10 years ago so I had them redone.  I've always liked their tight bass and clean highs.

#11 of 11 nadtwins

nadtwins

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted September 20 2010 - 08:55 AM

After way to long I am putting together a stereo - home theater system. way back in college (1980) I had a pair of Phase Research speakers which i played the hell out of man where those speakers great!!!!!!!!!! I had them hooked up to a little NAD3020 with  Thorns turntable cant begin to tell you how many hours were spent with those things blasting! Any way I was looking to buy a pair (or two or three) for what I am doing now what a disappointment that I cant!