What's new

Can I get this SVS quality in a full range or moniter speaker? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
When I went over to ron's and listened to the SVS it was incredible. The major thing that impressed me was everything it did was effortless. It seemed like it didnt need to strain at all to make incredible, flat, loud bass. Now can I find this same quality in a speaker? The only one I can think of that might have this is the GR-Research Alpha-LS . Because it has so many drivers it doesnt have to work as hard to make frequency's.

Or am I going about this all the wrong way... will my Boston VR-950's give me this quality with more power? If I put a 250 watt+ sunfire amp on em? Will that solve my problem. Because I do want to use my bostons as surrounds at one point, but if I upgrade my fronts I may go for those Alpha-LS's. :D

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
FWIW, GR Research AV2 / SVS PB2+ combo provides an extremely dynamic, accurate, smooth and "a pleasure to listen to" sound.

Also, I don't think that a 250+ W amp will help *much* with the general sound of a speaker. Get some new speakers. And then, tweak the room's acoustics.

Alphas look *really* nice, but building the enclosures... That *will* be interesting (I just have to have them some day :))!

BrianAe

Second Unit
The problem with the LSs (and line arrays in general) is that they are next to impossible to integrate well into a HT. The problem is there is no matching center channel and the speakers are too big to just use one for a center. I read about a couple of the work arounds GR Research has created but none of them sounded great.

So, I think for now, the Alpha-LS is for 2 channel only.

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
Check the forum at Audio Circle, "azryan" is building a center speaker and Danny is going to tweak the crossovers.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewforum.php?f=16

Also, *if* you are sitting in the sweet spot and have speakers with great imaging, I don't think there's a great need for a center speaker.

But you can always build three indentical front Alphas, of course... :D

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Personally Jesse, I think you should either

1) Jump right in and get an SVS now

or

2) Jump right in and get an SVS now

Seriously though, not to turn this into another Jesse vs SVS thread, if you keep delving and pondering on whether this is good or this isn't as good, you'll never end up with anything. I mean, if the audition "was incredible", wouldn't you want to recreate that experience vs trying to find a substitute?

Personally, I think everyone would be ready to swipe a CC once they got a personal in house demo from Ron!

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator

I love this and think you are absolutely right (musically anyways, exception being for HT). I love this phenomenon. I think all of us here do. I was just playing with my AVR the other night - switching from 3 channel stereo (L, R, and SW) and 5 channel stereo. On my set up right now, I prefer the 5 channel because I have crappy tinny resonating mains paired to a Studio CC470 center (hardly the equivalent). On 5 channel (with the Studio upped to +10 with the mains at +4) the sound is better, however the imaging seems equivalent or better on 3 channel stereo. I can't wait to upgrade my mains for this reason, then sit on the brink of my little sphere of "gold circle" heaven.

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator
Jesse. So when does your SVS arrive?

Can't build a house without a foundation, man.

Get on it. :)

ChadLB

Screenwriter
If you haven't already give some of the following a listen:
Dali
Dynaudio
Von Schweikert
Monitor Audio

All very pricey ...

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator

Are these things for real?! I can't possibly imagine such a "superb" speaker looking so hideous, nor weigh over 1,000 pounds for each main and sub, unless of course, it is filled the the same :star:BS:star: that's being discussed as a White Van Special in another thread around here. I wonder if the dealer locator provides you the nearest storage locker - I'd have to drive to Berkely to find out.

To each his own though - I know no better.

JamesCB

Second Unit
Yep, those are for real. VERY expensive, VERY heavy, VERY out of my league. Look at it this way: There are cars out there that easily go for $500,000.00+. There are people who buy these cars. The same goes for High-End audio, if you've got the money, the high-performance items are out there.

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator
Performance if your living room is Arco Arena. :) Even then, "performance" is a widely interpreted term. Mine is clearly different than Wilson's. The site mentions growing popularity for home audiophile and HT use which I find incredibly hard to believe. And did you see the little pins and needles they're standing these (vibrating) subwookers and towers on? Hope you're on a concrete slab unless you want holes in your floor or your sub dancing around the floor like a ... that old football vibrating board game. :)

Without ever having seen, heard, or had the money for anything like that, I can't say much but I'm glad I haven't. I find it exceedingly hard to take those speakers seriously, only compounded by their apparant concern for speaker box fashion.

But, hey, it's all just taxes in the end! Your Wilson speaker purchase could buy books for the whole school district! Yay!

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator
Makes you wonder why manufacturers of the worlds more rediculously expensive speakers can't afford better web site production? Curious.

(Of course, I guess they have to sell some first...)

Okay - I'm done with my criticism - sorry. No more. They're making someone happy somewhere.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You will get that kind of quality in the GR A/V-2s or Diluceo. I have 3 A/V-2s as my front stage, and I am extremely happy with them.

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
I would go ahead and pull the trigger on these Jesse. I would recommend the Cherry cabinets. It sounds like your ready to drop $4900 on speakers any day now. :D

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Wow, those are some outrageously priced speakers. Too darned heavy for most floors from what I can tell!

I knew they existed but I've never lusted after them to any degree. I've always suspected they were mostly marketing hype for the super rich who are easy to market to.....

The one spec on the subwoofer doesn't really impress me though. There's a post here that says the PB2+ can do 16 Hz at 114db. The only spec on the Wilson sub claims 16Hz at 112db!

Hmmmmm sure makes an SVS sub sound like an exceptional value to me. It certainly would require less engineering work to create huge bass in that huge, heavy enclosure with those two huge drivers. Leads me to beleive my instincts were spot on with this topic.

I think I'd save my money, those things are for people who have so much money they find themselves spending most of their time figuring out how to use it.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Why don't you buy a single subwoofer that can output more than that Wilson sub, PB2+ sub, AND an SVS B4+ sub combined and get yourself a single parthenon subwoofer.

It has an anechoic response to 6hz, a frequency that'll make the above subs go "barf". :)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Ernest Yee:
Keith Hyde:
I will be getting my SVS sometime in april, I just have to see what my budget will allow. So dont worry soon.

CurtisSC: I think he was using Acsend Acoustics?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks