-

Photo

Strange Brew DVD....where is it, you hosers?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter

• 1,044 posts

Posted August 20 2001 - 09:36 AM

Any word on this? I watched this classic last night on *gulp* VHS......fortunately, I was comforted by the fact that my VHS copy is at least open matte and not P&S. It's still not OAR, but it's watchable (however, I would NEVER buy a non-OAR DVD).

Anyways, my ideal DVD of this would include a 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, 5.1 sound, a couple featurettes, and a pair of commentaries....one with Bob & Doug in character, and another with Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas and anyone else commenting on the making of the film. This is basically patterned after the Princess Bride SE DVD and, to some extent, MGM's This Is Spinal Tap DVD, because they're both AWESOME single disc SE's.

-Tom

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter

• 1,565 posts

Posted August 20 2001 - 09:58 AM

Commentary by Bob & Doug...That would be GREAT!! Bob would have to be in one channel with Doug in the other. Posted Image This was one of my favorites throughout high school. It's still in my Top 10 list. If a DVD where made as you described it, at least one copy would be snatched up as soon as it hit the shelf.

My friend and I went to a Halloween party dressed as Bob and Doug once. We looked just like them. Those that asked who we were suppose to be weren't worth the effort to try and explain it. They still didn't get it even after a thorough explanation. But everyone else would immediately say, "Hey...Bob and Doug." By the way, I was Doug. When we were "fighting" over who got to go through the door first (for those that haven't seen the movie, you won't know what I'm talking about) my arm accidentally brushed up against a girl wearing white ghost make-up and I got white grease paint all up my sleeve.

------------------
Bill Posted Image

Posted Image
~Bill

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter

• 1,044 posts

Posted August 20 2001 - 10:04 AM

Haha, Bob & Doug costumes, great! I hope you didn't shoot anyone with dart guns Posted Image. "Just because I don't know what it is, doesn't mean I'm lying."

-Tom

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   David Scott

David Scott

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted August 20 2001 - 10:08 AM

Yea, but how did the donuts in the pocket hold up? "It's a jellll-y". I know I'd buy a copy....as we have a anual Strange Brew party...beer hunter anyone?

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   Paul Wu

Paul Wu

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted August 20 2001 - 10:25 AM

Here's the link to the Studio Feedback thread.

"Yes, I bought this DVD at your store and when I opened it there was a MOUSE inside...and then my brother WATCHED it. So I would like a case of free DVDs please."

------------------
Paul Wu
"There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count and those that can't."

Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.

Paul Wu
"There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count and those that can't."

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted August 20 2001 - 11:56 AM

Yeah, like I bought your DVD, but the security stickers were hard to take off, eh.

------------------
Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | dOc

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   MatS

MatS

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted October 16 2001 - 02:37 PM

fyi, from tonight's Warner chat..."Strange Brew Summer 2002 Be there"

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted October 16 2001 - 02:42 PM

hey... thats good news, eh. Posted Image

------------------
Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
The DVD Insider Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter

• 1,044 posts

Posted October 16 2001 - 02:54 PM

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I almost jumped out of my skin when I read that in the chat.....I dearly hope it has Rick & Dave commentary in character as Bob and Doug. A two-disc SE would be nice, but not really needed as the film is quite short. Thank you Warner!!!

-Tom

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted October 16 2001 - 05:05 PM

How about a Strange Brew SE packaged with a six-pack? I'd buy that... Posted Image

------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted October 16 2001 - 05:09 PM

or some jelly donuts! I had to bribe a secretary with my last one.

------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"

S&S Challenge: 72 ...24
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted October 16 2001 - 05:33 PM

I'm gonna let go of the DVD.
No I'm gonna.
You let go.
I'm gonna drop it.
I mean it.

(DVD hits floor and snapper case breaks apart)

Dad, Doug broke your DVD.
Take off, no way. Bob did it.

I so freakin love this film I can barely stand the wait. At least we finally got definate word on it.

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   Andrew Walsh

Andrew Walsh

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted October 16 2001 - 06:37 PM

I wonder if Rick and Dave will still be interested in doing special things for the DVD after the crap they went through trying to make the sequel last year. That was a travesty. Hopefully that wasn't Warner's fault and they'll do some cool stuff.

------------------
"I'd trade it all for a little more." - C. Montgomery Burns
"I'd trade it all for a little more." - C. Montgomery Burns

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   Robert_eb

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

• 967 posts

Posted October 17 2001 - 02:42 AM

A Sequel?? What happened with it?

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   Chris PC

Chris PC

Producer

• 3,994 posts

Posted October 17 2001 - 11:40 AM

I have this on LD. I'll have to check again to see if its FULL FRAME vs P & S. I'd love a DVD of it with extra's for sure. Whats more, I'd love the entire SCTV TV series on DVD. I still have loads of old SCTV VHS tapes, but I'm hungry for the whole deal on DVD.
Going from projector to flatscreen for a while.... :P

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted October 17 2001 - 01:39 PM

Andrew chime in if you know more of the story. All I heard was that the beer ads tested whether there was still audience awareness of Bob & Doug, and there was, and they did the preproduction and were literally about to start filming when they lost funding somehow.

Related question: Was there more audio by Bob & Doug besides their GWN album? That is, were there any b-sides released that had skits that didn't make the album?

--
Don't kill bugs.
Because one day, someone might look at you as a bug.
And then...you're gone.

"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted October 18 2001 - 01:05 AM

I can't wait to get this one! This movie is one of many hidden comedy classics. (I just picked up another comedy classic the Ruttles the other day)

I cant wait! When I get this one it will be a good day, ehh!?

Scott
Scott
SatelliteGuys.US

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   Drew Mertz

Drew Mertz

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted October 18 2001 - 02:47 AM

Being that it`s a comedy, will warner actually release it widescreen?

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted October 31 2001 - 03:21 AM

Quote:
Was there more audio by Bob & Doug besides their GWN album? That is, were there any b-sides released that had skits that didn't make the album?
Yes. There was a "Soundtrack" album for "Strange Brew" that had lots of non-movie skits on it. I have it. Funny stuff.

------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   CalvinC

CalvinC

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted October 31 2001 - 03:34 AM

I've tried to teach my dog to put on a cape and fly, but no matter how many sausages or beers I offer him he still won't fly!