What's new

Will Charlies Angels Season Two... (1 Viewer)

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Feature the shows as they were presented, or the syndicated versions? Meaning, the first of the season was actually a two hour 'film.' The television version features a re-cap at the beginning of 'their' show two...(needless to DVD)

Though it might be early, I just wondered if they will be done 'properly.'

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
guess not.
looking at the menus just now and the premiere is broken up into the standard syndicated pt1 & 2.
oh well.
at least the scenes i've checked out so far look pretty good.
in fact, i don't recall any of the first season that i've watched so far looking as good a the few scenes i've watched from this second season.
i'm happy to finally have this one.

that said, what the hell is up with 1/2 assed non consistent packaging.
on its own, its not bad (although its still no Dick Van Dyke set), but when S1 came out in its cheap and cheesy gradiated blue thin packs- the one consolation was that "well maybe this means that future seasons will come in different hues and they would form a great rainbow pattern on the shelf".
now they totally abandon that and go with a book leaf style digipak case.

why go to the trouble of inconsistent packaging in the first place?
i just don't get it.

Richie C.

Stunt Coordinator
I agree about the inconsistent packaging. Dark Shadows just changed its packaging (the new case is half the width of the previous 10 sets) and now I wish I could go back & replace all the previous boxes.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I'm glad they've decided to release Season 2 on DVD. I remember the studio stating that they weren't releasing future sets beyond Season 1 (I think this was around the theatrical release of Full Throttle). I'd like to be able to own all five seasons of this fun, cheesy TV show--Tanya Roberts is a groovy 70s hottie!

The 70s TV shows--quality and cheesy alike--on DVD are a nostalgic goldmine for the studios!

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

Do you want the show, or do you want the package? As Joshua noted, some people didn't even expect the show to go beyond Season 1 on DVD.

The biggest complaint on this forum seems to be that DVD companies continually release just one or two seasons of a TV series on DVD but then just abandon it. The main reason it happens is that sales don't meet expectations. Some companies call it quits when that happens. Some companies cut costs and push forward.

Charlie's Angels: Season 1 was not one of the top 50 TV DVDs last year, so chances are that sales fell below expectations--especially considering that it was tied to a flop of a movie.

Changing the packaging to a more-standard product is one easy way to trim costs. You might be right in that the S1 packaging was cheap and cheesy, but it definitely was not standard, especially for Columbia TriStar. Using it probably entailed going to a new vendor or paying extra for the materials. Chances are that the new packaging was more cost-effective, whether it was because of existing vendor contracts or cheaper material.

This is a tiny price to pay to keep a series going on DVD. Mary Tyler Moore Show fans would be ecstatic if Season 2 came out in a different package--just as long as it came out.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
don't get me wrong Randy.
i'm happy to have the second season in any kind of packaging.
i didn't expect the first season to sell well either and as such unless they tied the second season into the dvd release of the movie sequel- which they didn't- i didn't expect i would ever see it.

i just find it odd.
i'm sure the gradiated color thin paks were a 'special order', but why on earth would they go to that ttrouble if they didn't plan to keep doing it.
the packaging on S2 is not anything standard as far as i can see- in fact i have never seen this before on a R1 release.
it looks like what the R2 alien quad set was supposed to be- clear digipak trays hinged like a book-

why do that?
whyn not just the typical digipack fold out like Starsky & Hutch?
also, the slip case here is open on the spine.

basically backwards.

yes- i am happy to have the content here and have no complaints (so far about its A/V quality, but the packaging is head scratching all around.

MTMS graphic design was really smartly done- someone was conciously channeling a early 70s design sensibility and i for one appreciated it very much, but i'm right there as just wanting the rest of the seasons out and if that mean a cheap photoshop cut and paste job for the package- i would get over that very quickly.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

It probably was just a marketing splash, something to differentiate it while sitting on the store shelf and make it stand out. I would bet the plan might have been to make each season a different color, but they were probably scuttled when the movie tanked and the first season's sales were lower than expected. If they had known then what they know now, they probably wouldn't have done it.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Let's just say that Gord and I were SHOCKED that S2 was announced, after hearing the studio's reaction to first season sales. 'Nuff said.

Be glad you're getting this season, even if it came out in ziploc bags.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Are the two episodes that were split up cut? If they aren't then how can they be syndicated prints?

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I'm not expert enough to know what might be missing but part 1 of the second season premiere clocks in at 50 minutes which is about right for an uncut version IMO.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

The first two episodes of the second season actually aired as two-hour movies. They are the first four episodes of the boxed set.

I am nearly positive that these movie-length episodes were split for the first time during the summer re-runs of the second season, not for syndication. So I don't believe the episodes on the set are syndicated prints.

In other words, when the double-length episodes aired initially, they ran as a movie in a two-hour time slot. But when they were re-broadcast later that season in reruns, they were split up into two-part episodes. Since they weren't syndicated yet, they wouldn't have been edited.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I haven't had a chance to watch my dvd yet, but someone at a Charlie's Angels website says Paradise is still missing a few scenes - such as when Sabrina goes to visit Don Ho and he is singing. Could this be another one of those music rights issues?

MattHR

Screenwriter

Both of the two-hour movies were edited to accomodate the original two-part network reruns and eventual syndicated versions, which were edited even further.

Most of the edited footage was removed from the second parts, as they had to accomodate an extra set of opening and closing credits, in addition to the recap footage from part 1 (which is not included on the DVDs). The running time for the first episodes is about 50 minutes, while the second parts run about 46 minutes, which would explain the missing recap footage.

While I'm glad to have this second season, I'm still bothered by Columbia's sloppy presentations and the perceived (by me) "It's this or nothing" attitude.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
All I can say is that so far I have been blown away by this set. The video quality seems to be way surpassing that of the first season reason. While there are some spots that show it's age, overall, I am very pleased.

As for comments on the sales of the first season of the show, all I have to say is that I kept like a visual inventory of the stores that I often go to and rarely did I see the first season sit on the shelves without little rotation. In fact, I noted that I beleived that sales were fairly brisk for a nearly thirty year old show. Granted, they might not have been blown by sales, but this show also doesn't have the broad appeal of say a "Friends" or "Lord of the Rings."

The built in fans of this show are the ones that the season two release, and hopefully the remaining three seasons are for. I really believe that that the mild successes of the feature films were heavily overrated and I think that Columbia learned with the second film that the francise that they believed that they had was ill-fated. To blame the sale of the classic television series is not only foolish, but totally berates the fans that have been loyal to this series over the years.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i was almost going to forego purchasing the first season simply because it was Ladd that i seemed to always watch the show for- Farah never really had that much appeal for me.

it seems while she still gets the lions share of the attention connected with this show, everytime i see fans talk about it, it seems they usually had a bigger thing for Ladd also.

because of this, i was just wondering if they might be surprised by a spike in sales with the second season over the first by all the closet Ladd fans who skipped the set they weren't interested in?

Richie C.

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I am watching episode one of Season Two right now and it looks awful. There is so much dirt on the film. At times, the sky (there's lots of sky in these Hawaiian beach scenes) is really muddy....brown and yellow splotches, lines... I'm so disappointed that they didn't at least clean the prints...let alone the fact that some of the episodes are cut. :thumbsdown:

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Columbia has burned me several times with their tv on dvd releases, including Sanford and Son, Soap, and now Charlie's Angels....I will not buy a series if even one episode is cut. There is no excuse for not finding better masters when some re-runs look better than the prints used for the dvds.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i watched on episode the other night (angel blues i think) and was very impressed with the quality.
much better than i remember any of the first season eps looking.

i'm quite satified with this set

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I for one am very happy with the way that Columbia has done this set. While I have noticed that some scenes, such as the sky 'problems' and few instances in which that master was bad in a spot or two...overall, I would rather have the series than not.

This set is miles above what they put out the first go around. Maybe the season with Farrah got more play or something, but while I was happy with the sit, there were simply some instances during the first season (forgot the name of the episode, but the one with the hitman and the kitten) were video quality was simply horrible at times and constantly so.

Season Two though...I believe looks better than I have ever seen the show and this is even after blowing it up on a 52 inch HDTV to check out what people seem to be bitching about. While I see those problems, GET OVER IT! Be glad you got to begin with.

I only have eight more episodes before I am done with this set...Columbia bring on Season 3!!!!!!!

Richie C.

Stunt Coordinator
I don't see the value in the passive attitude of "GET OVER IT! Be glad you got to begin with." We should be complaining to Columbia so they stop using edited prints and give us the original uncut masters. If you don't speak up for what you want, you'll never get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks