Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Concert for George on PBS in HD Wednesday night

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Gary_E

Gary_E

Second Unit

• 370 posts

Posted March 02 2004 - 08:55 PM

I noticed the tribute concert for George Harrison is on South Florida's local PBS HD channel this evening at 9:00 pm eastern.

The DVD looks very good and has some outstanding musical performances from Eric Clapton, Jeff Lynne, Billy Preston, Ringo, Paul and others. PLUS Monty Python performing The Lumberjack Song!!!
Posted Image

Here's hoping for a fine HD broadcast of this emotional concert.

Regards,
-Gary

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   John Watson

John Watson

Screenwriter

• 1,937 posts

Posted March 03 2004 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for the tip, I see it's to be broadcast tonight on the PBS (Boston) channel that we get on cable up here, so I plan to turn on the VCR.

Might help me decide if I will someday get a DVD of it... Posted Image

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   David Judah

David Judah

Screenwriter

• 1,479 posts

Posted March 04 2004 - 07:53 AM

I watched it last night in HD & DD--a very nice tribute to George. "The Inner Light" was a nice bonus since it was an obscure Beatles song. Also, Jeff Lynne did a nice Roy Orbison imitation for "Handle Me With Care."Posted Image

I liked it when Paul was singing "For you Blue" and pointed over to Ringo when he was singing "Play the twelve bar blues"(or something to that effect)as Ringo was mouthing it. Ah, the memories it must have stirred up for those two.

DJ

Lecktor: Then how did you catch me?
Graham: You had disadvantages.
Lecktor: What disadvantages?
Graham: You're insane.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   John Watson

John Watson

Screenwriter

• 1,937 posts

Posted March 11 2004 - 11:11 PM

Very good concert. What a lineup!

Sound and PQ? I like it when the engineers and stage people get something done so well, when the you hear the instrument of the artist who is on camera at the time.

Red, orange, etc., never work well on TV for me. Perhaps its the cable broadcast, and the VCR taping, so I hope the colors are much more solid on the DVD edition.

Kept waiting for "When we was fab", but I guess George is forever Posted Image

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 07:59 AM

I started to watch it but turned it off because many of the performances were intercut with interviews. When PBS broadcasts something as a part of the "Great Performance" series I went to see performance!

Just out of curiosity, does the DVD of this concert intercut as well?

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   John Watson

John Watson

Screenwriter

• 1,937 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 09:31 AM

That's a good question.

I assume it is the "performance", and regrettably, those interesting conversations are not extra features. But there were many great uninterrupted songs too, and I still think I'd like to have it on disk.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Neil White

Neil White

Supporting Actor

• 552 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 09:43 AM

I only caught the second half. What I did see I thought was incredible. A fitting tribute to a musical genius. It was respectful but not over-sentimental. However, I kinda welled-up when Joe Brown played the last number.

The production/direction was top-notch. No MTV-style, dizzying camera shots. It was just right I thought. It had a kind of surreal feel in places I thought - hard to explain. Dhani looking like a clone of his dad probably contributed to that.

Seeing Clapton, Paul and Ringo together again on While My Guitar Gently Weeps was another standout moment.

I have to get the DVD - not an option for me.

N

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Gary_E

Gary_E

Second Unit

• 370 posts

Posted March 12 2004 - 10:50 AM

Just out of curiosity, does the DVD of this concert intercut as well?

The DVD is a two disc set.

One disc has the theatrical concert (the one on PBS) which contains the talk-overs described.

The other disc has the complete concert itself, from start to finish, without the talk-overs.

Anamorphic w/Dolby Digital 2.0 & Dolby Digital 5.1 & DTS Surround on both discs. The special features are split among both discs.

A great concert, for a great man, on a great DVD.
Was recently on sale at Best Buy for $14.99.

A MUST HAVE!!!

Regards,
-Gary

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Mike Soltis

Mike Soltis

Stunt Coordinator

• 144 posts

Posted March 13 2004 - 02:16 AM

Anyone have any idea when it will be on PBS-HD again?? Can't find it on their schedule...
This signature has been modified from its original version. Due to clearance issues and Fox not wanting to spend the money, most of the soundtrack music has been replaced.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted March 14 2004 - 02:21 AM

Quote:
The other disc has the complete concert itself, from start to finish, without the talk-overs.

Thanks for that info. I'll buy the DVD then since I found the broadcast version (AKA disc one) so disappointing. From what I did watch the performances were great and I look forward to seeing them uninteruppted.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor

• 922 posts

Posted March 14 2004 - 10:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks for that info. I'll buy the DVD then since I found the broadcast version (AKA disc one) so disappointing.
Not to nitpick, but Disc 1 is the complete concert while Disc 2 is the version that played in theaters and on PBS.
I like shiny things. | 2002 Film List | Best & Worst of 2002 | 2003 Film List | 2004 Film List

'I'm sucking up juice from the generator!' - Brian Eno, "I Fall Up"
AIM: KevinLeonard81 (because SexGod9451860 was already taken)
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

Forum Nav Content I Follow