What's new

The Thin Red Line - which version? (1 Viewer)

AlexHL

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed that Fox has released The Thin Red Line ('98) several times. One with and one without DTS, and one under the Fox War Classics label. Does the last one carry both tracks, and are there any other differences besides that?

Or perhaps there are some foreign versions that are worth looking into?

Thanks a lot.

ErikHansen

Auditioning
The latest release is the Fox War Classics version (which is the same as the DTS version).

This version has Dolby Digital 5.1, 2.0 and DTS FULL BITRATE!!!!

The DTS rocks!

Regards

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I wish FOX would greenlight a special edition DVD of THE THIN RED LINE to include the scenes cut from the movie (several scenes were cut from the movie and it was said in an article about the movie in Entertainment Weekly that Terrence Malick could put together another 1-2 movies out of the footage he cut from the movie as whole subplots focusing on other characters were dropped from the movie) at least as deleted scenes. I hear the original rough cut was 6 hours long.

Be seeing You,
David Blackwell

AlexHL

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info. I'll be getting that War Classics version then.

That extended cut sounds really enticing. Perhaps next year when Malick's 'Che' comes out?

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Terrance Malick is pretty much a recluse - so I doubt he'd be providing much in the way of extras. The cast and production crew could pitch in with a commentary track or two... maybe.

The current cut of the film is a directors cut - so all that's left are seperate deleted scenes.

I can't see a re-release just for an extra commentary track and some deleted scenes (even if they were an hour+ long). Include the Melasion songs found on the first release - and it still seems pretty small for all the trouble.

I'm content with the current release as the transfer and sound are incredible. However I'd pick up a HD-DVD of this film in a heartbeat.

I just wish Warner would re-release Badlands with a better transfer even if it's still a barebones release.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

In fact, isn't an entire performance cut from the film. I seem to recall that an actor's entire part wound up getting cut, but I can't recall whom.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I would love to see a special edition, but I doubt it will happen since Malick does not seem interested. I wouldn't mind seeing the deleted footage, but not edited into the current cut of the film.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I have the OOP version (with Melanesian songs) but non DTS. Since I don't have the equipment to benefit from DTS and rather have extras, the DTS version is moot for me.

Embarrassingly I have to admit I've yet to see the entire film. The music (score) is so soothing I fall asleep every time :b

The cinematography is fantastic in any event!

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

According to the IMDB, several actors have their scenes cut entirely from the film, including Billy Bob Thornton, Bill Pullman, Lukas Haas, Viggo Mortensen, and Mickey Rourke.You can see their names listed in the "special thanks" section of the end credits.

I too would like to see an SE of The Thin Red Line, but it'll never happen without Malick's involvement.

Matt_P

Second Unit
This is my favorite film of all time (not necessarily the best film, but my favorite). A 2-disc SE would be outstanding. There have been several threads in the past that have discussed this, but as others have said, it seems like a remote possibility.

I would give just about anything to see the original 6 hr cut...

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

That's what I love about this forum...I had the same question today after seeing the "Classics" version for $9.99 at my local Best Buy. Knowing that there was a previously released DTS version, I checked the soundtrack. Sure enough, it had a DTS soundtrack on it. I was planning on asking the forum if this newly released version had the same soundtrack as the old one and low and behold, here's the answer...thanks!!!:D

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
For those who were asking about the actor who was cut, the most important one was Adrien Brody, back when he was unknown. He was one of the leads in the film, along with Jim Caviezel. The others listed were cut too, but as I understand it their roles were much smaller.

I remember magazines having interviews with him for months leading up to the release, you know the way they do, hyping a "next big thing" star.

Well, when the film finally came out, he had literally one line, towards the end. He was a glorified extra. From what I've read it was very embarassing for him, personally and professionally. I even read the old "I went to the premiere thinking I would be in it and only learned I'd been cut when I saw the film" story, but of course it's Hollywood so who knows when to believe that kind of melodramatic stuff.

However it happened, his career stalled for a couple of years because of the resulting mess, before The Pianist finally came around.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
please note that the dts/war classic misses out the theatrical trailer which is included on the first release of the movie :thumbsdown:

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
i thought malick owned the rights to the movie al la lucas so i thought thats why we wont be seeing any new stuff

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
DTS

Ive seen this title constantly at Circuit City for $10.

A no-brainer really :)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Enrico,

Not a deal breaker for me...I'm just happy about the full bitrate DTS track!:D

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
This movie is spectacular and the DTS soundrtrack is one of the best I have ever heard. My subwoofer blew during this film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks