What's new

MP3's from computer to stereo in another room (1 Viewer)

Evan_Haas

Grip
Anyone ever have any experience with something like the Onkyo Netune NC500?

Not the specific brand or model, just a component that does this. Is it worth it? what are some good models?

also, why can't I just run a cable from my computer to the stereo input and play them that way? what am I gaining from using something like this asside from being able to go through my library from the stereo and not the computer?

David Judah

Screenwriter
It's funny you mention it. I was just looking at this earlier this evening because I was thinking about doing the same kind of thing and my computer and HT system are on opposite ends of the house.

It works wirelessly, allows for on-screen display and also has WMA support which I would rather use than MP3. It retails for $300. It's one of the lesser expensive units of its kind that I have seen. Alot of companies are offering wireless audio distribution and it will probably become one of the hot new categories in consumer electronics this year.

Another one I looked at was a Yamaha system that has a CD burner and hard drive built-in with satellites you can buy to distribute to other rooms. It was cool, but pricey.

I'm seriously considering the Omnifi unit because it looks simple and it is inexpensive. I don't want anything too pricey because I would probably only use it for parties.

Good luck in your search.

DJ

DJ

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

You can, tons of people do this. I do (or will shortly have the theater running off the computer). I still use a CD player though for SQ reasons.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
You could also just use a DVD player (most support MP3 playback on CDR/RW) connected to your stereo system.

Ron Schildt

Agent
I recently purchased the Amoi 9200 Networked DVD player. Very similar to the Gateway and GoVideo units (in fact, I think Amoisonic builds the units for them). It's a standard DVD player, which also has a wireless network card to stream audio, video and pictures from your computer.

Not a bad option for right around $200.

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
I asked a similar question many moons ago and someone point me to Slim Devices and it seems to be a very good product. When I was researching this about a year ago, they only had a wired version but now they have the Squeezebox which is wireless and retails for $299. The thing that's cool about Slim Devices is the SlimServer software which is opensourced and can pretty much work with anything. Definately would suggest you checking it out along with Omnifi.

Erik*R

Agent
Hi,
This is my first post but I thought that I could give you some input.

I have tried several of the networked mp3/music/video players that take it off the PC and play it on your Stereo/HomeTheater.

Most of them were not that great, either the interface was buggy/complicated, they were just plain unreliable, or they were just too dang expensive.

My solution was super simple. A Acoustic Research 12' Digital Coaxial Cable with RCA Connectors Model: AP072 (only $15 at best buy) going from the SPDIF on my sound card to the Digital input on my Receiver. Sound is excellent :)

Also I ran a Acoustic Research 12' S-Video Cable - Navy blue Model: AP022 ($25 at BB) from my video out on my Video card to my reciever/ and configured it as a second monitor on my PC with the correct screen resolution to work on my TV.

So for $40 worth of cables and some simple settings tinkering I can now listen to music and watch movies from my PC on my HomeTheater.

BTW the only ones of the pc to reciever options I really thought about getting after all the testing was the PRISMIQ MediaPlayer (about $150 new) and Turtle Beach AudioTron (about $150 on ebay or $250 new). Both are pretty good at what they do with the least bugs/flaws.

Lastly, if you have a flat panel/plasma display what I would recommend is the Roku HD1000 Digital Media Player (about $500) just on the addon features it gives such as the ability to use your $5000 TV as a $200 picture :) (it displays artwork).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks