Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Recommendations circa Studio 100

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Keith Hyde

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted March 02 2004 - 01:12 PM

Recommended speaker auditions for the price range of Paradigm Studio 100's? As you can tell, I am leaning the way of the Digms. I have a good long while yet to figure this out (6 mos to a year), but speakers of this level are a little difficult to locate in my part of the woods and may require significant (100-200 mile) trips to hear in person. Arranging in-home auditions will take even more time.

The speakers I'll be keeping a while are PSB Alpha's on the surrounds and a Paradigm Studio CC470 up front. SVS PB2+ stays of course. Denon AVR too. I'll probably snag a parametric EQ about the same time as the main purchase. The upgrade bug will eventually hit about everything but the mains I choose and the PB2+, with the CC470 staying but possibly taking on new duty down the road as the rear center with a CC570 taking over the reigns (perhaps).

As far as my ear - I just couldn't deal with the Paradigm CC370 due to its muddiness/flatness/whatever you call it. I LOVE the CC470 though. The PSB's are nice and "light"/"clean sounding" too. I run bass a bit hot, so I'm thinking the 100's will be able to take over most of that and leave the PB2+ to punch a hole out the bottom with precision instead of running multi-duty broadband as it is now to cover for my weak mains.

Listening flavors cover the musical gamut - you name it, I can appreciate it usually. Cash, Nelson, Brubeck, Davis, Ellington, Young, Hendrix, Sly and the Fam, Reed, Redding, Crow, Clapton, Raitt, Bowie, Hancock, Hank Sr., ... so many genres. Some hiphop and electronica too. HT is down to about 20%. Music will always have priority.

I have in mind now to hunt down the 100's, PSB Stratus series, and some Definitive Technologies (though I'm a litle concerned with overdoing the bass with those powered woofers).

Others?

Thanks in advance.
There you stood on the edge of your feather, expecting to fly...

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   AlanZ

AlanZ

Screenwriter

• 1,335 posts

Posted March 02 2004 - 02:29 PM

I have had the studio/100's (v.2) since last summer and I love them to death. The other speaker I really liked when I went to demo the 100's was the Energy Veritas. I honestly don't remember what model it was, though. They were floorstanders, a little smaller than the 100's. I know the rep said they were in the ballpark of $3k. Anyway, I pair my 100's with an SVS PB2-ISD and it's quite a potent combination. Good luck with your decision Posted Image
"Come on you Fockers....CONGA!!!"
-Dustin Hoffman as 'Bernie Focker'

Updated Equipment List

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Keith Hyde

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted March 03 2004 - 08:10 AM

Thanks Alan. Considering that I hope to buy a set of mains that will follow me around for the next twenty years, I want to do my best to get this commitment right the first time. Do you remember what model you compared to?

http://www.energy-sp.../home/home.html

How big a space is your set-up in? I'd be overstuffing my living arrangment for now, but am happy doing so knowing I'll be moving within the next couple years.
There you stood on the edge of your feather, expecting to fly...

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   AlanZ

AlanZ

Screenwriter

• 1,335 posts

Posted March 03 2004 - 08:38 AM

I'm almost positive it had to have been the veritas 2.4.....though if they recently came out with the "i" series, it may have been the predecessor....I saw them last year around June. They were very nice speakers, slightly superior to the 100's IMHO, but out of my price range. For the money, I think the 100's are one heck of a deal. I love 'em.
"Come on you Fockers....CONGA!!!"
-Dustin Hoffman as 'Bernie Focker'

Updated Equipment List