What's new

STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE 3/03/'04 "Azati Prime" (1 Viewer)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
episode title: "Azati Prime"
episode number: #70
original airdate: March 3, 2004
director: Allan Kroeker
teleplay: Manny Coto
story: Rick Berman & Brannon Braga and Manny Coto
synopsis: "Archer sets out on a suicide mission to destroy the Xindi superweapon as Enterprise faces attacking enemy ships."

An "everything-comes-to-a-head" sweeps-week episode. Expect lots of "flash-and-boom".

(But will there be anything else?)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Enjoy, suckers...

And that's not even considering that this is a Crewman Daniels episode. I gather Enterprise has done pretty poorly over the course of sweeps, so hopefully the axe will fall on B&B pretty soon.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And judging by the talk that's even making its way into print, that won't be much longer. Of course, the show could be cancelled along with the sacking of B&B.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the early reviews are very positive about this episode. Even people who love to kill the show, said this was a great episode. I am anxious to see it tonight. Saying that. I hope the show is not cancelled. But, I hope B&B are. :D

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
B&B gone :emoji_thumbsup:
Show gone :thumbsdown:

Either way, I'll be watching t'night. The fact that Manny co-wrote this one gives me some hope. :)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I dont love to say Bad things about it but you have to admit it's just mediocre and some watch it out of habit not because its really entertaining.

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator

Sometimes it is genuinely entertaining like "Proving Ground," which aired a few weeks ago. I'll admit that this season has been a bit middling, but I can usually find something to like in every episode even if I'm disappointed with an episode on the whole.

That said, I'm looking forward to "Azati Prime" in a little less than 45 minutes :)

De

John Swarce

Second Unit
I'll second Ric's "Wow". Best episode this season, IMHO. So how are they going to "fix" the ship THIS time??!!:)

RickGr

Second Unit
This show sure looks sweet in HD format. Great episode and one of the best battles I have seen in trek even if one sided.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Well I just saw the episode. Holy crap! I liked the crewmen floating out of the ship when a bulkhead blew. Sucks the next new episode isn't until 4/21

John, the next new episode is called Damage

Here is a brief description of the episode:
The Enterprise, badly damaged in an encounter with the Xindi, finds a new ally in the Illyians; T'Pol reveals a secret."

Shane D

Supporting Actor
i'll 3rd the wow. My jaw was on the floor at the end.
(but since it was a berman/braga episode, i did expect tpol to strip at some point)

i expect the 3 species that was talking to archer comes to enterprises rescue and they get help from them on repairing the ship and this starts an enntire xindi civil war

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
actually shane

i believe the other 3 xindi are able to stop the enterprise destruction totally, but as someone mentioned they find another race which they team up with in Damage

As for tonight episode. Excellent episode and i continue to enjoy this Arc. Cant wait to see what they do in the last few episodes of the season

capt

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Ack, your spoiler tags are killing me! Must hold out! :D

Great episode. I'll expect to see the Enterprise spick and span by the end of the next ep, a la Voyager, but wouldn't it be fun if they just destroyed the wretched thing. They could have Jeffrey Combs's Andorian ship pick up the four members of the crew I like (Porthos, Phlox, Hoshi and Malcolm), and have the evil aliens pick up the rest (for torture and execution).

Who'd have thought that a woman would be at the bottom of this whole mess? My money's on Guinan. ;)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Ric Eaton wrote (post #9):

Well, with the "timeline" gimmick hanging around all the time, one doesn't have to scratch his head too long or too hard to come up with the most likely deus ex machina.

In addition to the predictable space-battle sequences, this episode features some other noteworthy traits or trends:

---the weeping Vulcan.
---Archer's less than inspiring farewell pep talk.
---a favorite ST pet peeve of mine, "Is Anybody Listening?"
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?&postid=770828#post770828, when Archer is left alone with Degra, and, of course, the reptilians wouldn't do anything so crass as to listen in electronically!
---cartoonish-looking CGI in the underwater sequences (the outer-space sequences are pretty good, however).
---the Enterprise "J" (400 years thence). (Ugh! What is the drug that keeps the producers tied to that name??? I know, I know: "marketing".)
--the usual silly anthropocentrism: without humans there can be no Federation (a tiresome blandishment of the audience's human vanity).

Action-packed, but nothing we haven't seen before.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Yeah, no wow from me either. You know when the Captain is on a mission where he isn't comming back, that he's going to survive it somehow. I also thought it odd that Trip spent more effort trying to stop T'Pol than he did trying to stop Archer.

I never liked the idea of Daniels and the dues ex machina that he represents. No, we can't have the crew figure things out on their own, :rolleyes

Lame.

Jason

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
More of a Yawn than a Wow for me. Special effects are a dime a dozen these days. I'd be happy if there were better stories. Unfortunately, B&B won't be happy until they drive the entire franchise into the ground.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
A wow from me, and I think Enterprise's history has shown that they have listened to past complaints and don't just have the ship rebuild itself magically. I remember a mini-arc right after Minefield, which included that automated repair station. I think they'll live with the damage until it can be repaired somehow--probably with the help of the Xindi, once they win them over.

I loved the underwater scene. That's something you don't see much on Trek, and the last time I remember it (Voyager episode where Paris gets demoted), it was pretty much ocean void. It was nice seeing formations and the weapon.

And, though I may be one of the few, I watch the show because I do find it entertaining. If it was just habit, I would have stopped watching long ago. I can say one thing: I've been watching season 7 TNG lately, and it's been plain awful. I can think of few Enterprise episodes I wouldn't rather watch.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was saying holy crap during this episode too. I was on the edge of my seat and if that makes me one of the "medocre, blinded by loyalty to the franchise" type, then so be it.

There's something they are planning to unleash on us and it's either going to be really good or not. It looks good.

Rex, as you know, the usage of the "Enterprise J" nomenclature you can blame on TOS. I thought it was a nice way of saying here's another Enterprise from the future and at the same time say, Kirk's and Picard's ship lives onward. However the mention of the 400 years in the future I would have thought put them in about Kirk's time frame, but it looks more like after Picard's by a few years. I liked the graphic display of the new ship. During the commercial I thought they might spring William Shatner on us as Kirk. Maybe that's still coming.

If you think that Daniel's will be able to use his re-set button and make the ship nice and neat like Voyager's Year of Hell, I'm not convinced. He's never directly affected actions in the past for Archer, Archer has always had to act to Daniel's information and make things happen.

This thing with T'Pol is kind of whacky. On the one hand, I suspect she's suffering from the effects of the disease she picked up last year from the Mindmelding Vulcans. On the other hand, I accidentally read a spoiler from a Trek site that has another explanation. And my theory before that was that we've never really seen a Vulcan woman before to this extent. Only short one episode ones like T'Pring or High Priestess one from Trek 3. Mainly they've been copying Leonard Nimoy's performance, without the nuance. So her emotionalism is either due to external forces, or Vulcan women are more high strung then males. It's too bad they sort of skimmed by it and not delved into it more with Tripp.

Well, like Alias, we now have to wait 4 or 5 weeks for the next first run episode. I for one am excited to see what happens. The explaination is all coming along and we know a lot about the reasons for the Xindi's actions. I like that Degra is more then a one dimensional villian. I like that Archer is also facing tough decisons and having to deal with killing. I like that he is almost coming around in that he's believing Daniel's story at the end of the episode. Or it could have been an effort to save the Enterprise. Either way, it got Degra's attention. It's sounding like what the Organians said to Kirk and Kor, "why in the future, you'll become fast friends, work together...."

While the effects of this episode were quite impressive from space to sea, what drew me was the pacing, editing, music and the drama of the story. The story, the actions and interactions of the characters, on both sides, were compelling to me. Blowing up the ship and seeing it drift away was a nice addition to the visuals and that helped advance the story. It was a chilling ending for me to see that last scene.

It's too bad so many here are not watching anymore.

Nelson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks