Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Snell Acoustics Qbx series

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,583 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted March 02 2004 - 05:48 AM

Any impressions? Anyone have them or listened to them? My dealer will let me take a pair of 20s and/or 15s home to demo for 2-3 days. I know I should be the judge but just wondering what others might have to say.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   ScottCHI

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted March 02 2004 - 06:36 AM

by all means, give 'em a whirl!

how much are they, btw?
"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,583 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted March 02 2004 - 07:21 AM

As far as I've been able to determine, the 20s are 800$/US pair and the 15s are 550$/US pair (retail). Ideally, I'd like identical front and rears along with a matching centre. I know this isn't necessary for movies but after doing a fair bit of listening, I consider it highly desirable (within budgetary reason) for multi-channel music.

They are hand crafted with real wood veneer and made in the US. They design and make their own crossover circuitry, though they do use OEM drivers. Anyway, I saw them at the dealer last night when I picked up my Arcam and the fit and finish were quite nice. They were not hooked up, however, so I didn't hear them. Will post my impressions when I can.

P.S. Scott, thanks for the link re: subwoofer crossover and speaker size in my other thread. I've pretty much eliminated towers from the equation, however, so sending bass to the mains might not be optimal.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   ScottCHI

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted March 02 2004 - 07:38 AM

Quote:
P.S. Scott, thanks for the link re: subwoofer crossover and speaker size in my other thread. I've pretty much eliminated towers from the equation, however, so sending bass to the mains might not be optimal.
i know. i thought about that when i was posting my update, and how my tower vs. bookshelf opinion might have changed, now. i've sorta come full-circle, i guess. my experience is still pertinent, whether bookshelf or floorstanders, though. and i don't think you should bias yourself either way, toward towers OR bookshelves, unless it's for cosmetic/utilitarian reasons. otherwise, get what sounds best TO YOU. i do understand how you might be leaning bookshelf, since you state you think you want 4 identical speakers. but what about the snell Qbx towers? Hehe!

Posted Image
"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."